Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPGs have the most sword-and-sorcery feel?

Ebonsword

Arcane
One thing that increasingly annoys me about recent RPGs is their adherence to a high-magic Early Renaissance/Late Middle Ages type setting, with elves, dwarves, and other non-human intelligent races being common.

Are there any RPGs out there that go for a more human-centric, Bronze Age/Iron Age setting where magic is something to crush the sanity of those who dabble in it instead of something to be used for whimsical fireworks?

Basically, I'm looking for games that feel more like this:

9dee643238f87c80624c9125cc9c1c4a.jpg

Than this:

1369714772372.jpg

megidolaon

Kyoto Cybernetics
Developer
Dark Sun is the closest one I can think of off the top of my head at least in terms of overall style/setting/theme, but even then it kind of falls short with regards to the specific gameplay/magic system mechanics it sounds like you're looking for.

Epsilon

Cipher
Thats a tough one, I can only think of "Legacy: Realm of Terror" and "Infra Arcana".

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Aleshar: World if Ice fits somehow with the setting part, but it's too magic heavy, especially when you are kind of forced to rely on magic when every enemy blow in melee is a potential critical fatal hit.

pippin

Reminds me of the Heavy Metal magazine.

Wish they made an RPG in one of their settings/worlds.

Well, it's pretty difficult to make a game like that considering it was an anthology of mostly french stuff being published in Metal Hurlant, and when they lost that, Heavy Metal went to shit for the most part.

There are video game adaptations of HM-related material, but they aren't rpgs, or actually that good, to be honest. There's a Nikopol fpp adventure game based on Bilal's comics, but that's more political sci-fantasy than what op wants. There's also Salammbo, based on Druillet's adaptation of the novel by the same name, and while it might be what op wants, it's an adventure game, not an rpg. There's also the Druuna game which is really fucking bad, but then again, it's sci fi.

Well, it's pretty difficult to make a game like that considering it was an anthology of mostly french stuff being published in Metal Hurlant, and when they lost that, Heavy Metal went to shit for the most part.

There are video game adaptations of HM-related material, but they aren't rpgs, or actually that good, to be honest. There's a Nikopol fpp adventure game based on Bilal's comics, but that's more political sci-fantasy than what op wants. There's also Salammbo, based on Druillet's adaptation of the novel by the same name, and while it might be what op wants, it's an adventure game, not an rpg. There's also the Druuna game which is really fucking bad, but then again, it's sci fi.

Heavymetalfakk2box.jpg
:despair:

pippin

The thing about post early-mid 90s HM Magazine is that it was used by the TMNT guy to make you remember he was married to Julie Strain.

Quillon

Arcane
That pic screams Age of Conan but its MMO...if its still alive.

Azarkon

Arcane
Bronze age, human focused, magic as a source of evil...

Sounds like a recent Obsidian game, doesn't it?

But perhaps it's not about the setting...

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
hey ERYFKRAD know any good conan/barbarian style rpgs with a weird magic system?
The problem of crpgs is that a lot of nerds are involved in the process, which in turn means magic classes get more favour than the rest.
There really isn't a game that nails sword n sorcery well, to my knowledge. Neanderthal would know better, I think.
Mount and Blade: Viking Conquest at least has that proper low age feel.
As always, I recommend the Conan Chronicles (NWN2).

P. S. Realms of Arkania HD

Last edited:

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
It has nothing to do with sword & sorcery, but perhaps Ultima Savage Empire may be able to scratch that pulpy itch, I dunno.

The problem of crpgs is that a lot of nerds are involved in the process, which in turn means magic classes get more favour than the rest.
There really isn't a game that nails sword n sorcery well, to my knowledge.
Nerds wanting to LARP as mages are not the problem, the problem is that developers don't know how to offer interesting tactical choices without relying on D&D spells and bestiary.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Even the offical Middle Earth RPG was full of magic, despite spell casters being even rarer in Middle Earth than in your regular S&S world.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
:abyssgazer: That feeling you get when you realize that Faery Tale Adventure might be the most sword & sorcery of any CRPG you've ever played. :M

Though if you look at other genres, there were a large number of sword & sorcery inspired fantasy beat-'em-ups, such as the Golden Axe series or Magic Sword, almost all of which were originally released as arcade games.

And Thief: The Dark Project is surprisingly close to being sword & sorcery if you look at it sideways (not the two sequels, though).

oscar

Arcane
Evil Island is satisfyingly low tech with actual metal being very rare and valuable compared to bone/fur/obsidian-type barbaric materials.

laclongquan

Arcane
Unreal World

You rob, find, buy, capture, make your weapons and armors, with the highest being Masterwork iron full plate (buy) but generally wear chainmail (because of weight).

You try to learn the full set of ritual magics offered by the game, with 2/3 for daily life usage, and 1/3 for combat. Magic is an edge, not an overpowered tool.

The whole game scream of Ice Age caveman fighting nature, so this fit the original requirement~

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unreal World

You rob, find, buy, capture, make your weapons and armors, with the highest being Masterwork iron full plate (buy) but generally wear chainmail (because of weight).

You try to learn the full set of ritual magics offered by the game, with 2/3 for daily life usage, and 1/3 for combat. Magic is an edge, not an overpowered tool.

The whole game scream of Ice Age caveman fighting nature, so this fit the original requirement~
Ice Age caveman isn't sword and sorcery, men. But yeah, just waiting for his improved graphics patch to materialize.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom