Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Which will fail the hardest?

Which will turn out the worst?

• Baldur's Gate III

Votes: 25 8.2%
  • Kingmaker 2

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • Avowed

Votes: 60 19.7%
  • Bloodlines 2

Votes: 179 58.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 31 10.2%

• Total voters
Of the following distinguished games:

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Oh lol I really expected this to be less clear cut. Well tiering this from most likely to fail to most likely to be good so you can laugh at me in a year for my shitty predicitions.

4. Bloodlines 2
The obvious easy pick. Has to follow in the footstepts of one of the greatest games of all time, and one of the very few games I consider to be 10/10. They developers to not appear to possess the talent to write at that level at all.

3. Avowed
I am fairly excited for this. I was a doomsayer for Obsidian never producing a proper rpg ever again after Outer Worlds just a few days ago, going into the Elder Scrolls genre is a sidestep I did not see coming. Its quite clever however, it is a genre you can only enter with a massive budget they now have, and one that has very little competition atm. How hard should it be to make a game that is more of an rpg than Skyrim or Oblivion? Obsi still has a few strengths like likeable characters and decently interesting side locations, which work very well to carve a niche in the genre they are trying to break into. Parvati, Eder and Vicar Max have more Charisma than the followers from all Elder Scrolls games combined. I would be very happy to see this succeed, meaning it has the potential to disappoint me the most.

2. BG 3
With all other 5e based games fucking up heavily by cutting vital features like multiclassing left and right BG3 is looking better and better every day. Larians biggest weakness is their incredibly shitty writing, and I see no reason why this would change this game. However I can appreciate a game purely for the combat if the story isnt good and (to a limited degree) vice versa. If the game is faithfull 5e DnD I am gonna be served very well.

1. Pathfinder 2
Very safe game. They have low development costs and a high expectation to follow up to. However Kingmaker had a horribly botched launch. Everything less than the game literally deleting your harddrive Ruins of Myth Drannor style will be completely forgiven since they turned Kingmaker around so well.

Last edited:
Kingmaker 2 will be more of the same from Owlcat, but turned up a notch. In other words, incline. Baldur's Gate III will not resemble the franchise, but it will be fun. As stated many times, the setting and supplied mechanics should save Larian from themselves. Avowed will give tap water and wonder bread serious competition for blandness and generic quality. It will make no mistakes, but achieve nothing. Obsidian has kissed the ring. Let us dwell on them no more.

Bloodlines 2 though...oh my. Serious risk of being SJW extravaganza with the polish and mechanical grace of Underword Ascendant. I'm assuming that it actually makes it to market and doesn't vaporize like the mist of a Gangrel.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Oh lol I really expected this to be less clear cut. Well tiering this from most likely to fail to most likely to be good so you can laugh at me in a year for my shitty predicitions.

4. Bloodlines 2
The obvious easy pick. Has to follow in the footstepts of one of the greatest games of all time, and one of the very few games I consider to be 10/10. They developers to not appear to possess the talent to write at that level at all.

3. Avowed
I am fairly excited for this. I was a doomsayer for Obsidian never producing a proper rpg ever again after Outer Worlds just a few days ago, going into the Elder Scrolls genre is a sidestep I did not see coming. Its quite clever however, it is a genre you can only enter with a massive budget they now have, and one that has very little competition atm. How hard should it be to make a game that is more of an rpg than Skyrim or Oblivion? Obsi still has a few strengths like likeable characters and decently interesting side locations, which work very well to carve a niche in the genre they are trying to break into. Parvati, Eder and Vicar Max have more Charisma than the followers from all Elder Scrolls games combined. I would be very happy to see this succeed, meaning it has the potential to disappoint me the most.

2. BG 3
With all other 5e based games fucking up heavily by cutting vital features like multiclassing left and right BG3 is looking better and better every day. Larians biggest weakness is their incredibly shitty writing, and I see no reason why this would change this game. However I can appreciate a game purely for the combat if the story isnt good and (to a limited degree) vice versa. If the game is faithfull 5e DnD I am gonna be served very well.

1. Pathfinder 2
Very safe game. They have low development costs and a high expectation to follow up to. However Kingmaker had a horribly botched launch. Everything less than the game literally deleting your harddrive Ruins of Myth Drannor style will be completely forgiven since they turned Kingmaker around so well.
Man I love Bloodlines but 10/10 means perfect and I don't see how anyone can give it that rating simply because of the sewer level

edit: Also I agree with this list for the most part but switch BG3 and Avowed for me. Pathfinder probably will be the best here and it definitely will be if they don't add a bunch of pozzed characters like the first game.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I voted Baldur's Gate 3, simply because it comes off as a lame Dragon Age-clone set in whatever version of DnD they're up to now. It looks like a game that shouldn't exist at all.
For Bloodlines 2, I don't see the combat actually being that bad, although story-wise it sounds like its going to be...bad. The whole setting should have died off after they released Gehenna anyway.
Avowed has nothing yet. Could be good, could be bad. Nobody knows, not even the development team.
Pathfinder 2, don't care, never played the first one, probably won't.

huskarls

Scholar
this is the decline renassiance all over again. Some shitter's bought the IP for masquerade and baldur's gate, and people seriously fan boy it?

purupuru

Learned
Come on, at least bloodlines 2 will have a good soundtrack. And the atmosphere felt alright in the limited gameplay video we saw.
I can't picture Avowed being anything more than TOW without guns, and the medieval fantasy setting is even more banal. Yes it's Eora but clearly they want to throw away a lot of what made the world at least kind of unique in the pillars games.

Generic-Giant-Spider

KNIGIGUHTS F TE CHALEICE RFOREVER

INVEST
INVEST
INVEST

Edit: Sorry was eating a hotdog while typing.

BG3 or Bloodlines 2.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bloodlines 2 seems kinda... ”wrong” in certain ways, some of which I can’t really put my finger on, so I suppose it’ll be the winner here.

jf8350143

Liturgist
It's going to be Kingmaker 2 because it's the only game that doesn't even exist in this list.

Drowed

Arcane
I'm fully convinced that both Avowed and Bloodlines 2 will be shit, but there's a crucial difference here. As already mentioned, Bloodlines is a sequel to one of the best games that's on almost any TOP10 list of best RPGs in history. Avowed is a new IP coming from the POE universe.

In other words, from one you wanted something great, and from another, you expect nothing from the start. The disappointment with Bloodlines 2 will no doubt be infinitely greater.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
This is probably one of the easiest polls ever on codex.

Bloodlines 2 ofc

So much fail potential bundled together in one game, it is fascinating.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Keep in mind that Baldur's Gate 3 and Bloodlines 2 are sequels to, what are now, respectively ancient and old games most of the players today probably never touched yet have heard stories about. Former has the advantage of riding the coattails of two Original Sin games and that's the first foot in the door for "modern RPG crowd" to be interested, while latter is an unknown quantity and one hopes it won't just be inferior rehash of the original. Pathfinder 2 is ironically the one freshest in the mind in terms of not having to really live up to anyone but itself by simply adding more to already existing formula. Anything Avowed is just "wow, bland cinematic" at this point so who knows how it'll turn out. Interesting to see Sawyer isn't involved, though.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Man I love Bloodlines but 10/10 means perfect and I don't see how anyone can give it that rating simply because of the sewer level

I personally dont give 10/10 for perfect, I give 10/10 for the best games that have ever been done up to now. If 10/10 was perfect I dont think there would be a single game ever I score at 10/10, because the best games tend to be those that have glaring imperfections but are incredibly good besides these imperfections, like Gothic 1+2 and PST.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom