Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Who Broke The Website (403 Login Error)

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Whenever I try to login on Firefox / Chrome - I get the below error, it applies to sign up and really anything that redirects to /login/login .

Wat did you do. DarkUnderlord Taluntain

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access this resource.

I thought I might be banned but my burner accounts didn't work on a different VPN Tunnel either?
It can't be a stale cache, I never visit this forum on Chrome.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I tried testing in Firefox with a cleared cache / cookies - and removed any ad blocking plugins (Not disabled, literally uninstalled)

It's still fucked, on Firefox / Chrome - you return a 403 Response Code but in other browsers or doing a direct POST, returns a 303 (As you try to redirect me to /forums/ )

I compared the requests in both browsers, my form payload is identical when I login from Firefox vs Posting the request directly..
The only differences are in the request headers.

Are you checking something in the User-Agent payload..?
(I tried spoofing my User Agent on Firefox still 403.. Hmm)

I'm honestly curious what's causing this. :roll:

ADL

Prophet
Any update? Only reason I can still post here is because I was logged in on my phone.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Any update? Only reason I can still post here is because I was logged in on my phone.

For the 200-400 poor guests reading this forum because they lost their PHP session.
The easiest fix I can offer is to switch to the Brave browser.
Something with how the request header is formatted in that browser isn't triggering a 403 from the POST to /login/.

I also noticed when testing different user-agents / browsers - that after a few 403 requests, RPGCodex's host stopped routing my requests AKA liquidweb would start timing me out at a gateway hop.

(I confirmed this running a traceroute)

The user experience is that RPGCodex stops loading until I switched my VPN tunnel.

DarkUnderlord can you hurry up and tell us what's broken, my curiosity is killing me.

ADL

Prophet

For the 200-400 poor guests reading this forum because they lost their PHP session.
The easiest fix I can offer is to switch to the Brave browser.
Installed the botnet and it worked... You win Braveshills
rating_negativeman.png

Edit 8.5.21: Brave broke and all sorts of hardware acceleration issues started happening, various login pages started breaking without extensions in use and caches/cookies cleared after numerous restarts. Microstutter on YouTube videos etc. I moved to https://iridiumbrowser.de/ and everything including Codex seems to be working.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Logged out in Firefox and then logged back in without problem.
Then logged in on Chrome, that I've never used for the Codex.
Then tried Edge cause why not, and it works too.

Can't reproduce the issue.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Logged out in Firefox and then logged back in without problem.
Then logged in on Chrome, that I've never used for the Codex.
Then tried Edge cause why not, and it works too.

Can't reproduce the issue.

Interesting - thanks for sharing. That just makes it even more interesting to me..
I've seen several codexers bitch about it.. but it doesn't seem to be everyone.

My only guess could be geolocation.. Again why does the Browser have any bearing on it when the form payloads are identical.. Likewise you have no issues with those browsers but I did.. so why would Postman / Brave work for me?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom