Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Who is behind the NFT in gaming push?

Drop Duck

Learned
The two don't relate at all. NFTs aren't selling you ownership of anything even remotely valuable
There does not need to be any inherent value, all it takes is widespread adoption. Speculation makes people rich all the time but there doesn't need to be any real basis for it. Since video game companies are getting invested in NFTs either as a scam or in fear of missing out on a boom they give them value. Your paper bills also aren't more valuable than toilet paper when it comes down to it. Sooner or later digital ownership will be made more centralized and standardized, NFTs might be the ticket or it might not be.
Things might start to get real interesting once the metaverse is up and running in earnest and it's not so easy to tell the digital apart from the physical anymore.

:nocountryforshitposters:
Do you still pay in cash when you're out shopping? I'm not talking about 3D waifus like in the new Blade Runner movie but the digital economy merging with the physical one.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The fuck does paying by card have to do with NFTs? I'll pay for groceries with funds from my bank not monkey pics.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I like NFTs, jpeg ownership is the future. Thanks to centralization of digital media online the management of digital art ownership rights is now enforceable, the next step will be that purely digital items online are being commercialized. NFTs are the means by which you claim the right to digital private property. All that is required is that the rest of the business world adopt it as a standard. After that jpeg ownership will be enforceable and big hit memes can turn a profit.

Can't tell if this is satire, but just in case it's not, NFTs aren't about ownership of jpegs. It's more like ownership of a spot next to a jpeg. You don't have any rights to the image (or whatever it might be) itself whatsoever

That, I think, depends on the specific NFTs details.

I mean theoretically you could sell a ferrari along with the NFT, but generally, no, NFTs only sell you the placement. Even often when it looks like it doesn't.

I read somewhere that in specific cases you become the fully legal owner of the image, enabling you to do with it as you please, eg. print it on t-shirts. Tho I admit I did not verify that piece of info.

They could sell you that, but it would have nothing to do with the NFT. The actual token is just your personal placement in the code-string. If you happen to be sold the rights to the picture it's a seperate deal.

And very often when media talks about "artists selling art as NFTs" or even when an NFT claims "this image will be yours," it's entirely false.

Drop Duck

Learned
Your paper bills also aren't more valuable than toilet paper when it comes down to it.
Sure they are. My paper money is valuable because people who refuse to use it get dronestriked.
What happens if I refuse to use your funny monkey pictures?
You might get dronestriked by Micro-Alphabet in the future if you post it without my approval, or the service that hosts it might be forced to take it down thanks to threat of legal action. Same as youtube videos with copyrighted music are silenced or taken down.
The fuck does paying by card have to do with NFTs? I'll pay for groceries with funds from my bank not monkey pics.
Soon...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The two don't relate at all. NFTs aren't selling you ownership of anything even remotely valuable
There does not need to be any inherent value, all it takes is widespread adoption.

Exactly, that's what I'm saying. Placement in a piece of blockchain code will never be valuable because it will never be a coveted commodity.

Graphics, cosmetics, social stuff, "real estate", lots of things could potentially get value with a system of digital ownership when we all become cyborgs in a million years. But even then, even in that extremely hypothetical situation, the NFT will remain a useless placement in a useless code string.

Codex Year of the Donut
Untitled.jpg

Drop Duck

Learned
Soon...
This is what crypto bros actually believe.
You think it's satire because you are reading my post wrong. The internet of things and people being more plugged in than ever will create new opportunities for the economy, it already has. Buying seven cans of Mountain Dew to get a skin in Mass Effect or Halo is only the first step.
Exactly, that's what I'm saying. Placement in a piece of blockchain code will never be valuable because it will never be a coveted commodity.
It depends on what comes with it. If it becomes the basis of jpeg ownership then that's valuable. You're still stuck in the phase of saying banknotes are meaningless, they are not if the value they provide is enforced.
lots of things could potentially get value with a system of digital ownership when we all become cyborgs in a million years
No, the future is now.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It depends on what comes with it.
Nothing "comes with it."
And nothing comes with banknotes. I do not understand what you think your argument is mate. It's a system that will probably be adopted globally at some point, because you need some way to know who owns which GIF.

But that’s exactly it. You’re not “investing in the future of banking.” You’re buying bank notes for a bank that will never exist on the assumption that another bank will someday exist. If it ever does, you still can’t use those notes for anything

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Drop Bear seems to suffer from a NFT meme infection, nothing else but a complete brain wipe will help

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Reminds me of that Paul asshole buying a 3 million dollar box of GI Joe cards. So proud of those conmen.

Codex Year of the Donut
Here's a funny story on how crypto bros spent $3 million buying what they thought were the copyrights for a book about Jodorowsky's Dune, but they only bought a very expensive book apparently

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/2022/01/17/nft-group-shamed-jodorowsky-dune-book-copyright
The book was offered
in a Christie’s Paris sale on 22 November with an estimate of €25,000-€35,000 and bought for more than 100 times its low estimate (€2.6m, or $3m, including fees) by an anonymous group identified as Spice DAO (decentralised autonomous organisation), whose members mistakenly believed that the purchase granted them the copyright to the book, which they intended to splice and sell as NFTs before burning the physical copy.
alright it's time to behead everyone behind this shit now

Drop Duck

Learned
yeah I'm betting your IRL likeness is somewhat more akin to the former
Leave it to the Dane to passive aggressively ask for your shirtless beach pics where you show off your low body fat ratio and bulging The Hulk like musculature. I don't swing that way mate and if I did I wouldn't send my pics to some fat poor gremlin that looks like Joss Whedon on a McDonald's only diet.
If NFT bros were so rich, why would they try to convert so many people to their scam?
If anti-NFT tools were so smart, how come you have to pull their leg so hard it comes off before they realize it? You guys are just as slow and tiresome as the NFT bros.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom