Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Who is behind the NFT in gaming push?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I need someone to explain succinctly what's NFT, I may have missed this meme

it's the latest method cryptobros use to convert their cryptomoney into real money by scamming idiots

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Crypto ppl love it, and crypto companies are pouring billions into it. Gamers generally hate it and complain about it.

I've seen this fight before. Won't be a surprise to see who wins this one, for better or worse.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Why do crypto-morons all act like they belong to a cult?

Because they constantly need new members who are dumb enough to believe that their bytes stored on the blockchain have any value. The moment everyone tries to cash out at the same time the whole system will crash and burn so they need to keep the scam running.

True but that also describes the stock market.

potatojohn

Arcane
Digital ownership already exists. It's called copyright law and contract law.

This is just the newest money laundering scheme.

Drop Duck

Learned
Oh yeah! The crypto king is back, time to verbally slap some snot nosed brats.
What you describe, is not something any of us will participate in. It is too far, and the line you want to cross is sanity.

They can make this push. I will not participate in that economy, and since I'm increasingly not participating in the "real" economy anyways, this is just a further push in the direction I'm already inclined to.
Get a load of this absolute goof. Sure you can opt out, then you'll be in the same pickle as that ancient grandmother that can't pay her own bills because she's not hooked up to the internet. This is what you sad losers don't understand, you will either accept the new deal or you'll go back to sending messages by smoke signals. The terms are that you either go along and accept NFTs or get kicked out of modern civilization and are sent back to the stone age. Have fun banging rocks together to start up your heating system while I enjoy the climate controlled environment of a private interstellar spaceship fueled by fusion reactors.
Can we get some sort of cryptobro tag for Drop Bear?
Go ahead punk. I'll mint it as an NFT and make a tidy profit off of it.
I wish you luck with your imaginary quintillions, I prefer real money
If you think that's real money you have in your human leather wallet that you can use however you want in the slums then you'll be surprised when I pay off Monsanto with my dogecoin gains to retire their copyrighted cereal grain that happens to be your favorite and replace it with the droppings of GMO rats. Then I'll bribe your water ration officer to exclude you from the state mandated weekly pint while I toast with Elon on Mars.
One EMP and you will polish my shoes with your nose begging me for some of my canned food.
Where are you going to get that EMP from huh? HUH? You'll be sitting on your stockpile of canned tuna while I press a button between mouthfuls of McFilet Mignon in space to launch Tesla patented kinetic spears down onto your exact location based on the geodata delivered by Alphabet.
You are right. What you miss is that digital right management is a mess and it's always tied to particular systems and services. NFTs or something like it could form the basis of a more widely accepted and more universal system for digital right management. A standardized way of digital goods ownership.

Drop Duck

Learned
Crypto ppl love it, and crypto companies are pouring billions into it. Gamers generally hate it and complain about it.

I've seen this fight before. Won't be a surprise to see who wins this one, for better or worse.
Damn straight. Gamers thought that DLC would never take off and look at where we are. If gamers are against something you know it's the ticket to becoming filthy rich and a winning bet.

potatojohn

Arcane
You are right. What you miss is that digital right management is a mess and it's always tied to particular systems and services. NFTs or something like it could form the basis of a more widely accepted and more universal system for digital right management. A standardized way of digital goods ownership.

"Particular systems and services"?

You mean like the courts of the land and international treaties?

Who the fuck do you think is going to enforce your NFT ownership? The god Apollo?

Cunt Dickula!?

tbh I don't know what's a NFT. Also i still haven't understood what blockchains do.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Oh yeah! The crypto king is back, time to verbally slap some snot nosed brats.
What you describe, is not something any of us will participate in. It is too far, and the line you want to cross is sanity.

They can make this push. I will not participate in that economy, and since I'm increasingly not participating in the "real" economy anyways, this is just a further push in the direction I'm already inclined to.
Get a load of this absolute goof. Sure you can opt out, then you'll be in the same pickle as that ancient grandmother that can't pay her own bills because she's not hooked up to the internet. This is what you sad losers don't understand, you will either accept the new deal or you'll go back to sending messages by smoke signals. The terms are that you either go along and accept NFTs or get kicked out of modern civilization and are sent back to the stone age. Have fun banging rocks together to start up your heating system while I enjoy the climate controlled environment of a private interstellar spaceship fueled by fusion reactors.
Can we get some sort of cryptobro tag for Drop Bear?
Go ahead punk. I'll mint it as an NFT and make a tidy profit off of it.
I wish you luck with your imaginary quintillions, I prefer real money
If you think that's real money you have in your human leather wallet that you can use however you want in the slums then you'll be surprised when I pay off Monsanto with my dogecoin gains to retire their copyrighted cereal grain that happens to be your favorite and replace it with the droppings of GMO rats. Then I'll bribe your water ration officer to exclude you from the state mandated weekly pint while I toast with Elon on Mars.
One EMP and you will polish my shoes with your nose begging me for some of my canned food.
Where are you going to get that EMP from huh? HUH? You'll be sitting on your stockpile of canned tuna while I press a button between mouthfuls of McFilet Mignon in space to launch Tesla patented kinetic spears down onto your exact location based on the geodata delivered by Alphabet.

Behold the rationalization of a madman. I'm enjoying the show.

:popcorn:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The winning play is not to play... literally. AAA gaming is a wasteland and I don't think NFT will change it.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
tbh I don't know what's a NFT. Also i still haven't understood what blockchains do.

It's connected and they are both scams. All those blockchain currencies are basically your standard pyramid scheme, you pump money in then pay it out to early adopters by getting it from the next wave of idiots and so on. Since nobody uses blockchain money for any real-world stuff, everybody who "invests" in it realizes what it is, tries to get his money out into real money again, and that only works by finding more idiots who pump more money into the pyramid.

NFTs are another way to scam idiots by adding another level of obfuscation, trying to convert worthless money into real money by getting more morons to pump money into a worthless scam.

No need to understand any of the underlying technology (though I must admit it is fascinating, but it really is just a smokescreen)

Drop Duck

Learned
You mean like the courts of the land and international treaties?
No.
The Invisible Hand of the Free Market, then? :lol:
Remember back when Trump gave out free money to everyone? The American federal reserve used that as an excuse to start doing investing of their own and quickly aligned themselves with Blackrock. America is now a command economy in practice and if Larry Fink says the word then NFTs will hit it so big you wouldn't believe. That's a dream scenario, it would be enough if a large enough business consortium started using NFTs. For now seeing many of the big video game corporations starting to make noises about using NFTs is enough to lend it legitimacy and what the big boys say will happen will happen. Microsoft has already made people fully accept video game subscriptions being a thing despite protests from backwards cave dwellers.
It looks like standard finance to me, i.e. creating profit from nothing.
You only think it is from nothing since you don't understand how economics works. If you were in possession of a lot of wool during a wool shortage in some ancient village you would find that it suddenly had risen in value. This is not from nothing but the wool has also not changed, it's still the same thing. The virtual economy is already based on artificial scarcity. You could copy digital media with almost zero cost, the only cost lies in production. To justify production costs virtual scarcity is introduced and video games for example cost more than physical items. In the short term future this will become even more pronounced. NFTs lets you possess unique digital goods and this would both introduce value in the digital items customers buy, since they can transfer that property, but also make things like piracy practically impossible in the future.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
NFTs lets you possess unique digital goods and this would both introduce value in the digital items customers buy, since they can transfer that property, but also make things like piracy practically impossible in the future.
You mean like serial numbers? How can a glorified receipt make piracy practically impossible?

Drop Duck

Learned
NFTs lets you possess unique digital goods and this would both introduce value in the digital items customers buy, since they can transfer that property, but also make things like piracy practically impossible in the future.
You mean like serial numbers? How can a glorified receipt make piracy practically impossible?
The use cases will vary. NFTs make a secondary market for virtual items possible. Let's talk software, always-online and service dependent software is already mostly the case but will be even more the standard in the future. You pay for a subscription and are allowed to use their service, that Adobe does this, Microsoft does this with games now, it goes on. In these cases NFTs don't make sense since you don't actually own anything. But if a developer gives you NFTs for playing their games, such as in-game items or art or anything, this allows for a secondary market not necessarily tied to the game or service itself. Think Steam trading cards or something, except the marketplace is universal and not attached to any one corporation or their service.

Piracy will become impossible because of several reasons, it will be closed ecosystems, it will all be connected and NFTs will ensure unique digital ownership. You might get a receipt when you pay for some digital item today but it's not something you can transfer to anyone else. In the NFT Chad future it could be.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
My post contained a single question, a very clear and simple question: how will NFTs make piracy practically impossible?

70% of your reply is spent talking about something else. Sure, always-online subscription services exist. Okay, developers can give you NFTs and then you can sell those on a secondary market. Let's even accept that somehow there will be a universal marketplace for video games NFTs (and that's a pretty huge leap). What does all this have to do with defeating piracy?

Piracy will become impossible because of several reasons
I would like to hear those several reasons.

it will be closed ecosystems, it will all be connected
Come on, even you have to admit that, on their own, these are just meaningless empty words. How will NFTs contribute to create this "closed connected ecosystem" and how will this "closed connected ecosystem" defeat piracy?

NFTs will ensure unique digital ownership.
We already have ways to ensure digital ownership. With piracy, the problem is not ensuring digital ownership, but preventing software from being accessed and cracked, and I don't see NFTs doing anything about that anytime soon. The only way I can see piracy getting defeated is by abandoning the traditional way of buying and consuming video games in favor of cloud gaming.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom