Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Who should I Let's Play: Bloodbowl?

Which race should I LP?

• Dwarfs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skaven

• Lizardmen

• Gobbos

• Chaos

• Total voters

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Anthony Davis' Let's Play hasn't been updated in a week so I'll assume he's dead or something.

This game can use more highlights and is a lot of fun to play. Even if Davis isn't dead, a second Let's Play couldn't hurt, and I'm not averse to doing one.

Question is, what team?

Blood Bowl offers 8 races. Orcs are out because Davis did those. Wood Elves and Hummies are out because they're way too gay for me.

That leaves:
Dwarfs
Dwarfs are ideal Blood Bowl players, being compact, tough, well-armoured and having a stubborn knack of refusing to die! Most successful Dwarf teams work to the principle that if they can massacre all the other team's best players and wear down the rest, then there won't be anybody left to stop them scoring touchdowns!
Strengths
Dwarfs are strong and resistant and prefer to run through an opponent instead of around them. Their main strength comes from their extraordinary ability to block which allows them to face and even defeat adversaries that are more powerful. If by chance a Dwarf should fall during a game, you can bet that he will soon be back on his feet, ready to fight again!
Weaknesses
As you may expect, the great weakness of Dwarfs is their poor speed. Some Dwarfs reach the honorary rank of "Runner", although they are barely as fast as the slowest players from other teams. To overcome this huge flaw, a good coach needs to pay particular attention to his players positions before each kick off.

Skaven
They may not be all that strong, they certainly aren't tough, but boy oh boy are Skaven fast! Many an opponent has been left in the starting blocks as fast-moving Skaven players scamper through a gap in the line and run in for a lightning fast touchdown.
Strengths
Skaven are skillful men-sized rat-like creatures that are exceptionally fast. They are able to run down half of the field before the other team can even think of doing something. Some say, that with a little bit of luck, Skaven are the only players capable of scoring a touchdown in the first turn. This is due to the weird and wonderful nature of Skaven mutations that can increase all of their abilities.
Weaknesses
Skaven’s weak point is their lack of power and armour. It is very common for a Skaven player to injure himself or even die from any clash. If a Skaven team wants to stay alive, it is very important to avoid any kind of confrontation. It is also very difficult for these rat creatures to get the ball if the other team manages to catch it.

Lizardmen
Lizardmen Mage Priests were already teaching Blood Bowl thousands of years before it was discovered by the dwarf, Roze-El. Therefore, it is not a surprise that Lizardmen are still playing Blood Bowl today. Lustria's teams subtly combine power and dexterity allowing them to stand up against powerful teams like Chaos and to match the Skaven running game.
Strengths
The biggest strength of the Lizardmen lies in two types of key players available: Skinks and Saurus. Skinks are very fast and nimble. Bringing the ball to the goal line is not a problem for them. While very mobile, Saurus are also amazingly powerful. Their role is to breach the enemy's defense line so that Skinks can sneak through with the ball.
Weaknesses
The main weakness of the Lizardmen is the frailty of the Skinks that form the first line of their teams and are the only players nimble enough to score. Saurus are not very agile and they struggle to follow their team mates to protect them. It is very common for Lizardmen teams to end a game with few Skinks badly injured. Therefore, Skinks are usually the target of choice for other coaches.

Gobbos
A Goblin team's game plan owes much more to hope than potential. Goblins make quite good catchers because they are small and agile, but the art of throwing is sadly lost to them. While the chances of them blocking anything larger than a Halfling are remote to say the least. Still, this never seems to bother Goblin players, and occasionally the use of a particularly devious secret weapon will even allow a Goblin team to win a match.
Strengths
Goblins are agile but their real strength lays in their deviousness. They are true masters in the art of violating rules and will use illegal weapons like chainsaws or giant ball and chains, blows below the belt and fouling. Last but not least, Trolls are part of the Goblin team and can throw their team mates holding the ball towards the end zone.
Weaknesses
Cheating aside, Goblins are not very efficient at anything. They don't move particularly fast, they are very weak and are usually injured or killed during the game…and sometimes due to their own fault (handling a chainsaw can be dangerous). Their bad habit of cheating might also annoy referees who may ask them to leave the field!

Chaos
Chaos teams are not noted for the subtlety of their game play. A simple drive up the centre of the pitch, maiming and injuring as many opposing players as possible is about the limit of their game plan. They rarely, if ever, worry about such minor considerations as picking up the ball and scoring touchdowns. Not while there are any able-bodied players left on the opposing team, anyway.
Strengths
Chaos teams' strength lays in the blitz skills of their Beastmen and on the blocking skills of their powerful Chaos Warriors. The combination of these two players results in the most powerful and crushing teams of Blood Bowl. As if that's not enough, they also have the ability to mutate and grow a third arm, a second head or even a tentacle…
Weaknesses
Although powerful, Chaos teams are rather static with a limited Movement Allowance. However, their main weakness is found in their lack of diversity in their positions: they don't have any players specialized in passes, catches or runs. And don't count on their dodging skill to avoid being tackled. In fact, forget the ball and look for fights!

I have a personal preference to physical play meaning the Dwarfs and Chaos teams are probably best suited to my normal styles, but they're distant cousins of orcs, if you want to see a different style of Bloodbowl than Anthony Davis showed, Skaven, Gobbos or Lizardmen are up for that.

If interest is there (and let me know if it isn't, or if someone else is already set for a LP: Bloodbowl), make your pick, Codex.

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
Go for Chaos. Orks are fun, and I hope their LP continues, but lets see some mutations out there!

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Brother None said:
Chaos
Chaos teams are not noted for the subtlety of their game play. A simple drive up the centre of the pitch, maiming and injuring as many opposing players as possible is about the limit of their game plan. They rarely, if ever, worry about such minor considerations as picking up the ball and scoring touchdowns. Not while there are any able-bodied players left on the opposing team, anyway.
Strengths
Chaos teams' strength lays in the blitz skills of their Beastmen and on the blocking skills of their powerful Chaos Warriors. The combination of these two players results in the most powerful and crushing teams of Blood Bowl. As if that's not enough, they also have the ability to mutate and grow a third arm, a second head or even a tentacle…
uo0708.jpg

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I'm all for the goblins. Those little greenies are so random it could bring some real fun.

Monocause

Arcane
Can someone write a couple of words about the game? Is it worth a purchase? How enjoyable is the TB version, and how strategically deep?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Looks like Chaos is well ahead. I just played a test match to see how they go. Should be...interesting. I thought the dwarves cared little about the ball, but the Chaosmen really, REALLY don't. Talk about a team made to blitz, blitz, blitz, blitz and nothing else.

Monocause said:
Can someone write a couple of words about the game? Is it worth a purchase? How enjoyable is the TB version, and how strategically deep?

I'm considering writing a review for my non-RPG review home Gamernode, but dunno yet. Is it worth it? A bit of what I said in the other thread (and read up a bit in that LP thread, it has some good comments even if the pics are gone)
It's worth it. The game still needs a bit of polish here and there, and the biggest flaw is the genormous load times and inability to quit whenever you want (reminds me a bit of Assassin's Creed, which I was always forced to Alt F4 out of rather than go through three exit screens, all three of which had individual loading times(!))

I was actually a bit frustrated by it to begin with, the learning curve is a bit steep, even for someone who played tabletop games (but never Blood Bowl) like me. I'm still playing it at easy now and still finding it a bit challenging (I'm winning most games, so I should probably switch to normal)...kingcomrade's reaction at page 4 is probably the standard beginning reaction. It's not the toughness of the game per se, it's how incredibly important a single dice roll can be combined with no quick-save/load system combined with the steep learning curve

Stick with it and it's worth it. I love fouling up prone players with my dwarven roller now.

I haven't even tried RT mode yet, and yes, TB mode is very tactical. That's to say, as tactical as your typical board game, which means you have to think one or two moves ahead, have to know in which order to do what, have to understand the rules and have to have a bit of luck with dice rolls.

Your approach is important. Right from the lineup. I played dwarves a lot and initially thought I could just muscle my way through, but - while this is somewhat true - you still have to know how to do so.

A few games in, I'd use the Wall against most teams on their possession. I'd have two runners in Cover-2 waiting for eventual penetration. Then I'd see where the ball and thrower/runner who has it goes. I'd move the weak side (where the thrower isn't) players in to try and hold or occupy a few players, or to fortify the center line. I'd use my toughest players to bring down a part of the center line, then move as many as I can from the center and strongside to occupy the people around the thrower. Then blitz, and if the blitz is succesful (it usually is), I'd move the blitzer next to the thrower, occupying him for at least a turn.

Simple? Yes, but you still have to ensure the positioning of every player, know the rules, know which players are capable of what, and adapt effectively to your opponents strategy. If they penetrate more than I'm used to in the first turn, I'd have to decide on dropping back into Tampa-2 or going for a full-on strong side blitz.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I would say anything but dwarf, chaos and orc. The Chaos League LP showed pretty well what dwarves are all about and AD's thread already has orc and a little bit of chaos. I'd like to see how a team plays other than stomping skulls into the ground (not that there's anything wrong with that, really).

Monocause

Arcane
Brother None said:
Description

Thanks, I'm almost convinced. Just one more thing - how does the management part look like? I've read that you get to decide on your team roster, hire players and stuff. Is it exciting to improve your team? Can you purchase equipment to boost stats or something?

Shuma

Scholar
Chaos are a lot more ball-oriented than dwarves, imo. They have overall higher MA and AG, and mutations allow for passers and catchers to develop in time. Dwarves are stuck with primarily 4 MA and 2 AG which makes for lousy ball handling at anything but the most basic stuff. Also early on, Chaos are plagued by a lack of Block, which means you'll be falling down more than dwarves. Playstyle makes a big difference here, though.

FWIW, I vote Goblins.

Shuma

Scholar
Monocause said:
Brother None said:
Description

Thanks, I'm almost convinced. Just one more thing - how does the management part look like? I've read that you get to decide on your team roster, hire players and stuff. Is it exciting to improve your team? Can you purchase equipment to boost stats or something?

Yeah, you can buy equipment, doping and do extra training sessions to give you an edge in stats. Team development has always been one of BB's greatest strengths, especially if you get into the story of your players. Granted, equipment and doping are non-standard rules additions, but they're still pretty cool.

Sidenote: one thing I've noticed in the campaign is that after a while, teams can't match yours in rating. I've gotten mine up to about 1980 and most teams I face are in the 1400 range, giving them usually 500k inducements per game. They should have made more stock teams with higher rating to keep pace with your team. Though I guess it does avoid level-scaling lameness.

The best way to do it is to have teams that actually play games when you do, which the campaign seems to be lacking.

Turok

Erudite
Sorry for say this but that game look like uther shit, is about football american, and thats how it begin to smell like shit. Not sure if someone want fallow that LP.

What about do a LP about Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upV8yip2Meo

By the way you forgot the "kingcomrade" option.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Shuma said:
Monocause said:
Brother None said:
Description

Yeah, you can buy equipment, doping and do extra training sessions to give you an edge in stats. Team development has always been one of BB's greatest strengths, especially if you get into the story of your players. Granted, equipment and doping are non-standard rules additions, but they're still pretty cool.

Sidenote: one thing I've noticed in the campaign is that after a while, teams can't match yours in rating. I've gotten mine up to about 1980 and most teams I face are in the 1400 range, giving them usually 500k inducements per game. They should have made more stock teams with higher rating to keep pace with your team. Though I guess it does avoid level-scaling lameness.

The best way to do it is to have teams that actually play games when you do, which the campaign seems to be lacking.

Or they should have let you handicap your own team, sack/kill players etc.

Turok

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
I'd say Lizardmen or Skaven, for something that plays differently from Orks.
Turok said:
durrrr durr durrrr :snot:

Shame on you, i was expecting the dog image that say durr durr etc etc.

And yes this game sux man, not sure who is going to see this LP, guess why the other one is already dead.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Turok said:
Sorry for say this but that game look like uther shit, is about football american, and thats how it begin to smell like shit. Not sure if someone want fallow that LP.

Just because your dictator, Hugo Chavez, hates America, it doesn't mean you have to as well.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
Go for chaos, lots of variation in their development, though they are somewhat unstable at first due to lacks of skills (get lots of re-rolls).

Another fun LP would be lizardmen. Its a weird combo of bashing and dodgers. Your Skinks will get a lot of spps fast, but will also splatter just when theyre getting good (which would be entertaining :) ) (also need lots of re-rolls with those)

Gobbos suck...hard...one match against dwarves and youll need a new team.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Gobbos, yeah. I had one fight with my dwarf team against Gobbos, gave 4 lasting injuries and killed 2. They seem random to play.

Chaos seems to be ahead, but if they do come out ahead I'll at least make a long-term development goal of specializing one or two as thrower/runner/receiver.

Shuma said:

Actually, I'm planning to play it classic, unless you guys think I should try Blitz mode.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Goblins sound like fun, but I'm not familiar with the game at all. Looks very fun though. How much actual gridiron knowledge do you need to be good at the game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom