Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Who will produce the next Epic crpg?

Ausir

Arcane
sheek said:
Troika would have made several more 'epics' by now if it hadn't been bankrupted.
Personally I don't expect anything from any of the mainstream commercial companies. Dragon Age might be okay, a good RPG with flaws but that's it, Bioware, Bethesda, Obsidian, CDProjekt, the guys who made Two Worlds and whatever that split-off company of Gothic developers - they'll make the same old shit as they've been making for years. Their purpose is to make money, making shit games seems to be financially rewarding, they have no reason to change.

Er... The Witcher is CD Projekt's first game.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Mayday said:
Lesifoere said:
You have resistance not to just the usual fire/earth/water/air, oh no. You also have ethereal/shadow/spirit resistances.

I've just replayed World of Xeen. It had resistances to physical damage, Fire, Cold, Electricity, Energy (what's the difference?), Magic and Poison. I think so many different types of attacks is a good idea- it ensures that you don't reach a situation where no opponents is dangerous anymore.

The problem in BD is this: some enemies, as far as I recall, are resistant to some things but not to others. The PC, if a caster, may choose to put points in spells for specialization: this spell does fire damage in a cone shape and shit. But wait, this thing and that are resistant to fire. Wait, those are resistant to ethereal (what the fuck is ethereal), those are resistant to shadow, etc etc. Not a problem if you have, oooh, infinite points and know the game ahead of time, but obviously you don't have infinite points and won't know the game back to back on first playthrough. Playing a caster in this game is all but impossible. (That, and the combat is shit. Spells tend to be too expensive mana-wise to be efficient, enemies hit hard, and I don't think there were protective spells that'd absorb damage. A caster would bite it pretty fast.)

Andhaira

Arcane
Dude, just play divine divinty. Its fantastic. BD just never happened.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom