Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Who will produce the next Epic crpg?

NiM82

Prophet
there is no magic/psionics in the alien universe.

There is psi in the expanded Aliens universe, but it's only really employed by the Alien Queens and the "Space Jockey" aliens to manipulate people/drones. Some people also have the ability to sense the queens and passively communicate, no jedi powahs or anything.

Will the game have predators?
They don't have the rights to the Predator franchise, else it would prob be called "AvP: The RPG" ;)

Andhaira

Arcane
Says who? They may jsut not have revealed it yet. There have been pklenty avp fps's and the movies, so its pretty doable.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
How much are you guys willing to bet against my inkling that there will be a joinable Alien NPC in that game, who communicates, for some reason? I get paid double if the NPC will have some romance attached.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Maybe it'll be a robot alien or something, I read a comic with that sort featured. But I doubt they're going into the Xeno-romance area.

Schauman

Scholar
The potential love interest is the hybrid clone of Ellen Ripley and should you bed her, you get implanted with the alien embryo. Avoid oral if at all possible.
Fleshy activities during lunar cycles should also be avoided at all costs, considering that the hybrid blood is acidic.

That could get rather intresting really, in ME you have mindmelding activities with aliens and "Lets go again!" replies. With alien hybrid bride you get critical chest wounds and "Oh my fracking god it burns!" replies.

butsomuch

Novice
Andhaira said:
Says who? They may jsut not have revealed it yet. There have been pklenty avp fps's and the movies, so its pretty doable.

No.

J.E. Sawyer said:
Predators won't be in our game. Our game only covers the Alien(s) license.

Radisshu

Prophet
With Dragon Age coming up? Bioware. I want to ignore the supposed development of Fallout 3.

Andhaira said:
Speaking of the aliens game, there somethings about that i was thinking:

-This will be a tactical game.

Is this confirmed? Could work, controlling a squad akin to UFO Enemy Unknown meets Incubation. Or something. Otherwise, there's a multitude of directions this game could take, which is just one more reason to keep a closer eye on this. My fantasy Alien game would focus on being pitted alone against unknown terror rather than going gung-ho on a horde of bugs. Again.

..Predators..

Let's hope not.

Jasede said:
How much are you guys willing to bet against my inkling that there will be a joinable Alien NPC in that game, who communicates, for some reason? I get paid double if the NPC will have some romance attached.

There IS a brief moment of romance in Alien. :)

Do we really need another epic RPG?

One of the things I liked best about the old DnD modules was that they were mostly distinctly nonepic. Your goal was almost always something simple like exploring some ruins or finding an artifact of some kind.

As for good RPGs, I don't see any coming out of any current developers out there. I am hoping that indies will pick up the slack eventually, though.

Andhaira

Arcane
another dumbfuck said:
Do we really need another epic RPG?

One of the things I liked best about the old DnD modules was that they were mostly distinctly nonepic. Your goal was almost always something simple like exploring some ruins or finding an artifact of some kind.

As for good RPGs, I don't see any coming out of any current developers out there. I am hoping that indies will pick up the slack eventually, though.

By epic I don't mean save the universe plots. Epic can mean many ways, such as the heroic journey, overall presentation, etc etc.

NiM82

Prophet
Jasede said:

I suspect they will have a romantic synthetic and you get to have big long emo debate on whether they are actually a machine or a person.

Regarding the joinable alien, certainly an option given they are looking at the expanded stuff. Could be a Xenoborg (Cyborg alien, with lasers), don't think that would work as a love interest tho :P

Is this confirmed? Could work, controlling a squad akin to UFO Enemy Unknown meets Incubation.

Given it's down as an action RPG, probably be more like a singleplayer Alien Swarm (Alien Breed clone) with stats, dialogue and a story.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Andhaira said:
So Black Isle came out of nowehere with Fallout,

Kingston already pointed it out, but this is wrong.

Black isle was formed because of Fallout. It didn't exist before Fallout, it was a project that got snuck through approval and was a sleeper hit. Time for an RPG division. By the time Black Isle was formed, Fallout's founding fathers left Interplay to form Troika. That's why Fallout 2 sucked balls. Oh yeah, this is not opinion, this is fact. No stupid black rock with SS logo on my Fallout box.

Everyone already knows this, but probably most people have grown tired of repeating this. I haven't, I still don't like Fallout 2 and I'm sure the original design team would have done better.

pantheon

Novice
Arx Fatalis 2 might do it.
or Divine Divinity 2 - larion studios
My money is on Dragon Age - hopefully they can do this right.
I think Paranha Bytes will create an excellent game - back to basics

Lesifoere

Liturgist
After the shitfest that is Beyond Divinity, I can't say I have a great deal of faith in DD2. At the very least, they need to get better writers. Preferably writers who speak English fluently, because both DD and BD had dialogue that was a long trainwreck of slightly off syntax and weird phrasing. Oh, sure, they tried by hiring Terry Pratchett's daughter to write for BD, but she's shite: if ever there is a living testament that literary talent isn't hereditary, she is it.

Ryuken

Liturgist
I hated BD's gameplay (and the bugs) a lot more than the writing. Felt too linear when compared to DD and those battlegrounds layouts were hideous.

Maybe Larian can redeem themselves with DD2 but I am afraid they might go for a straight-up Oblivion clone.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Oh, yeah, and don't forget the bugs bugs bugs at release (I don't think they were much improved even after a few patches), the shitty interface, the "customizable" spells that were utterly useless, the overabundance of stats. You have resistance not to just the usual fire/earth/water/air, oh no. You also have ethereal/shadow/spirit resistances. The character sheet was an absolute clusterfuck.

It's been ages since I bought that worthless excuse for a game, and I still would like my money back. Getting into a spat with Rhianna Pratchett over her subpar writing was hilarious, though.

NiM82

Prophet
Not played BD, but if her writing is as bad as it is was in PCZone (back when she was a lowly games reviewer) I can sympathise.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
My monoglot self couldn't understand a damn thing that was being said, but the game looked like a jumping, brawling, console-friendly 3D action RPG.

Ryuken said:
Maybe Larian can redeem themselves with DD2 but I am afraid they might go for a straight-up Oblivion clone.
It seems likely. It's a shame that the old-school spark that attracted me to DD/Larian is not going to seen again from them again. Oh well.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Admiral jimbob said:
Did she tell her daddy on you?

She kinda folded up and whimpered. Girl does not have a backbone, nor any ability to take criticism with a shred of professionalism.

Disconnected

Scholar
Alien will be disappointing as hell.

It won't have destructible environments.
It won't have turn based or phased combat.
You certainly won't be able to kick over a table or jump onto one.
There'll be a fucking Queen in it, and it won't even have a funny reference to SexPistols.
"Drones" won't run off with people's corpses, glue them to walls with alien snot, and the corpses won't turn into facehugger eggs.
And of course, the one person who won't be hired as an artist, much less Art Director, is HR Giger.

It'll suck. But apart from AoD, it's still the one I'm most optimistic about. I just wish I wasn't hopelessly in love with the original Alien concept & HR Giger's art.

Andhaira

Arcane
Hmm, will you be able to bake bread in it? (Thats usually a make or break desl for me)

Mayday

Augur
Lesifoere said:
You have resistance not to just the usual fire/earth/water/air, oh no. You also have ethereal/shadow/spirit resistances.

I've just replayed World of Xeen. It had resistances to physical damage, Fire, Cold, Electricity, Energy (what's the difference?), Magic and Poison. I think so many different types of attacks is a good idea- it ensures that you don't reach a situation where no opponents is dangerous anymore.

Edit: baking bread is U7 was even kind of an inside joke. LB suggests to "bake bread with" the people of Britannia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom