Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why all Bethesda games and assets are so generic and ugly and boring looking ?

Trithne

Erudite
In this day and age I'm just glad it doesn't have gay neon colors everywhere.
For all their myriad faults, Bethesda know who butters their bread: Mostly consolefags who want to play a shooter cross-dressing as an RPG, but also just actual gamers in general.

Remember, they blacklisted Kotaku and I don't think they ever changed their minds about that.

I'd chalk it up to how they model things, because Oblivion and Skyrim have better looking concept art than what makes it into the final game.
Morrowind models also hardly matched the concept art yet still looked good:
0ae82e9b293c8220ce3ab7c62f19ea56.jpg

MW-item-Chitin_Armor.jpg

Compare those to Bethesda's attempts at recreating them in a Skyrim DLC:
latest

latest

Art direction/quality clearly took a hit and it's being ruled by someone who clearly favors stocky human builds and bulky armor.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
luj1 You think Morrowind is a good game, the only retard in this thread is you.
Morrowind, like all Bethesda games that came later, also suffered from terrible and dull graphics that couldn't properly portray its concept art.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Morrowind is certainly the antidote to generic. Which bigger RPG is less generic than Morrowind? Not even one comes to mind.

Bloodmoon adds another fairly unique to RPGs frozen land.
ftfy
Planescape Torment, Dark Sun games, Arcanum, Albion, Wizardry 8, etc... there is actually.

all cool settings

some of my favorite games, but I cant say they are weirder than morrowind

Wizardry 8 is science fantasy. however there is nothing special about it, you just slap spaceships together with unicorns

Dark Sun and PST are fair comparisons for their time but still grounded in a big franchise like DnD

Arcanum is steampunk, I love it but steampunk is nothing new

Neither of them have bugs carying you around a volcano which spews disease winds which make u enlightened

Its like comparing Star Wars to Malazan Book of the fallen

if u want something more original, its stuff like Perihelion

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
In this day and age I'm just glad it doesn't have gay neon colors everywhere.
For all their myriad faults, Bethesda know who butters their bread: Mostly consolefags who want to play a shooter cross-dressing as an RPG, but also just actual gamers in general.

Remember, they blacklisted Kotaku and I don't think they ever changed their minds about that.
Wtf I like Bethesda now.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Morrowind, like all Bethesda games that came later, also suffered from terrible and dull graphics that couldn't properly portray its concept art.

What do you want? You are literally a tranny with shit taste

Not.AI

Learned
I always get the feeling that people think bethesda is a waaay bigger studio than it actually is

warhorse studios had more employees working on KCD than bethesda had working on skyrim & fallout 4

This.

Further, in smaller teams there must be "That Guy" who is tremendously better than the mean developer at the specific task. If not, too bad.

All great things done by small teams are subsidized by accidental team membership of an overqualified individual in each department. It seems they never had such an individual.

The issue is not competence but over-competence. There is a big difference between drawing a face that everyone remembers and a face that merely looks detailed and like a face. The cost is the same. Including time. But the result is waaaaay different. And notice that the instruction from management what to do is probably the same.

"Quality Is Free."

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
*Someone makes a thread asking why Bethesda's games nowdays suck so much*

''Because Bethesda sucks'' x100.

/end thread.

Bethesda games sucks because everyone that buys their shit always give all the big flaws in their games a pass because ''you can do and be whatever you want'', how their games are ''more than sums of their parts.'' and ''they doing something that no one else is doing'', so it's okay to be mediocre and painfully boring.

Because Bethesda sucks.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Out of all the valid criticism you could think of, you decide to bitch about what makes modern Bethesda games moddable. Well done, Codex.

None

Scholar
Not as much of an issue as you may think. It's been pretty well established that Todd Howard is responsible for reigning in a lot of The Elder Scroll's more outlandish designs. Oblivion is probably the best example of this, just read how Cyrodiil was described in Morrowind and in prior games and compare it to what we got.

I'd chalk it up to how they model things, because Oblivion and Skyrim have better looking concept art than what makes it into the final game.
Find me a game where this isn't the case tbh. Concept artists aren't bound by deadlines or the limitations of working in a playable space in the same way that the 3D guys are.

The point, which you removed from my post, was that the game doesn't actually even capture what the concept art is going for. There are many games that do not have this same problem. When I look at Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction, a game that came out the year before Oblivion and on weaker hardware, it doesn't feel like a game that went through some generic filter where the character they were shooting for never found its way into the game.

Concept artist like everyone else I'm sure are also bound by deadlines. The idea that they aren't seems pretty fucking stupid.

ADL

Prophet
Lack of color grading combined with a bad rendering engine gives awful results.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The Creation Kit sucks too. Why did they lock spell effects to targeting types -.-

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Morrowind has the best worldbuilding of any RPG ever. This is a fact.

If you disagree, you are retarded.

Codex Year of the Donut
just read how Cyrodiil was described in Morrowind and in prior games
One of the biggest lies repeated over and over on this site.
Daggerfall:
The journey through Valenwood was pleasant. The weather held fair for the most part, with sunny days and cool nights. Bright leaves of scarlet, crimson, gold and green drifted down to form a carpet beneath their horses' feet. Valenwood was very different from the somber, steep forests of High Rock. When they reached the northern border[that is, the border with Cyrodiil], Edward, looking back, saw that the trees were mostly bare, shorn of their glory. Before them lay a wide green land of rolling hills with only a few stands of trees. It seemed to spread on forever.
ah yes, those jungles known for winter freezes and spring thaws, Daggerfall again:
The late winter weather held fair but cold for their journey, so that they travelled quickly over firm roads. On the last day, spring seemed to come at last for there was a thaw, and the road grew sloppy underfoot, and everywhere one could faintly hear the sound of water trickling and dripping. They came to the great bridge that crossed into Imperial City at sunset.

Morrowind was the one that fucked the lore, not Oblivion.

None

Scholar
Morrowind was the one that fucked the lore, not Oblivion.
Not quite. People are mostly quoting from the Pocket Guide to the Empire which shipped with Redguard. I've always thought it was in the other games but I guess not, thanks for clearing that up. Seems to be a product of the early Michael Kirkbride/Todd Howard era of TES.

In fact, I'm beginning to wonder how much of Kirkbride's interpretation of Tamriel actually made it into Morrowind proper.

Also if you read the PGE you'll see that Cyrodiil is not described as being entirely made of jungles, that's mostly a Nibenese thing.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom