Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Why aren't there any game devs who use classical music in soundtracks?

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
I recall older Paradox games having tons of classical music, triggering at certain points of history. So for example, when you were in early 1700's in Europa Universalis 2, you'd get some of the Vivaldi's Fours seasons(autumn if I remember correctly). Then they've stopped and started using "period inspired" music only. There's one(partial) exception - that part of The Ring of the Nibelung everybody knows which is just too iconic to not put it in Hearts of Iron(and it is present in every one of them except of 2nd game). Either way that was the point where I've started turning off the music in those games.

I'm not talking about Paradox games only. I'm talking about all kinds of games.

Most of classical music is well over 100 years old, so any copyrights that may have existed have already expired, which makes it extremely cheap solution, on top of being able to use some of the greatest musical minds that ever lived in their games which means you pretty much can't go wrong with it. Especially for RPG's or Strategy games(but not only them). Yet we're skill getting some awful unmemorable random soundtracks.

I'm not Lyric Suite big on classical music, I rarely even listen to it in leisure but it seems to be too good deal to just ignore it. So there has to be something more to it, what is it? Is finding a classical music freak who would pick the right tracks for you harder than finding a composer nowadays?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Most classical music is boring. They may fit to some slow paced strategy games, but that's it.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
cuck.png

mondblut

Arcane
Most of classical music is well over 100 years old, so any copyrights that may have existed have already expired, which makes it extremely cheap solution, on top of being able to use some of the greatest musical minds that ever lived in their games which means you pretty much can't go wrong with it. Especially for RPG's or Strategy games(but not only them). Yet we're skill getting some awful unmemorable random soundtracks.

Copyrights on authorship might have expired, but copyrights on performance are not, unless you are willing to digitize static noise from shellac records made in 1920s. And paying for a 100-piece orchestra would be more expensive than hiring a hack like Jeremy Soule and his library of Cubase plugins.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Most of classical music is well over 100 years old, so any copyrights that may have existed have already expired
The recordings of the classical pieces are copyright protected though, so it isn't "free". Or else you need to hire musicians but if you're already doing that then most people will try to make something original that fits their game.

Edit: What mondblut said. Most people won't notice a difference between a classical piece and something made by Jeremy Soule.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Academagia had a full classical soundtrack :M One of the few good qualities of that gaem

Most classical music is boring. They may fit to some slow paced strategy games, but that's it.

kill yourself

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Lots of games record their soundtracks with an orchestra, so costs aren't the problem. It's sometimes even a stretch goal on kickstarter.

I can see several reasons.
Using a well known piece comes with lots of connotations for the hearer which could be detrimental to "immersion", because he doesn't associate the music with the game. If you haven an own theme, the music becomes part of a unique experience.
Classical pieces are often too long and made to be played en suite (like the movements on a sonata).
Finding matching pieces needs lots of knowledge and adapting them to the game (e.g. make it dynamic / adaptive to the situation) would take considerable effort, so creating tailored music for a game is probably not much more expensive.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
It's easier to make up music to fit your game than fit your game to classical music. Strategy gaming, especially slow one like Civ or Paradox-type only need a background music, because it doesn't need to fit the dynamics of the game.

Lemming42

Arcane
It doesn't really fit any kind of non-Paradox/grand strategy game, and it also gets used ironically so much that it'd be impossible to take seriously. On top of that, making your own original soundtrack unique to the game is always better.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Below is one of the few trailers that use classical music. I remember it because of that.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
To answer this thread, music that was meant to be listened for it's own sake doesn't usually fit all that well when used to underscore another medium. For instance, it is ok to have a metal sounding track for an action scene in a movie but it wouldn't work to actually a track from a real band. Real music in a film or a game tends to be too distracting.

deuxhero

Arcane
As mentioned before, while the composition is public domain, the recordings aren't. There's plenty of music with a free license out there, covering FAR more genres and themes than just "classical", and plenty of mods or titles in early development use it if you read the appropriate credits.

Also: Most GTA likes have a classic music station and Tetris's use of Korobeiniki probably qualifies given the song dates back to the 19th century (like Beethoven).

KK1001

Arbiter
The extension of copyright to performances is fucking silly. You aren't the artists.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yes they are, if you are going to use their records. You are always free to perform and record the music yourself.

KK1001

Arbiter
Copyright protects any ORIGINAL work of authorship for a period of time. Performing Beethoven's 5th is not original.

I get that it is actually protected by law, but it's fucking nonsense that it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom