Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why can't I play a *female* char in the Witcher? EPIC LULZ

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
why cant i play a black guy either this is rasism

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
Witcher I somewhat understand as you play as a specific character whereas Two Worlds you play as a nobody who has to be male, which is stupid.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
other than adda, all the npc ties to the books could have been replaced to allow any witcher, and adda's ties to geralt are pretty weak. so far i haven't seen anything really specific to geralt, but lots of instances where geralt behaves in a very non-geralty way, with a rather artificial explanation.

while there are no female witchers in the books, as far as i recall sapkowski never really mentions that it's not possible to create a female one (though i might be wrong on that, been quite a while), and there was a female witcher in the movie and the series. they took other liberties with the setting, so why not this one?

geralt was mostly a lazy choice from a design perspective, and one to score extra brownie points with poland and russia, as far as i can tell.
game could work just as well with a customizable character, including gender.

MetalCraze

Arcane
LAWL. It's either a guy(gay?) who wants to play a female character or yet another stereotypical feminist female roleplayer. but still LAWL.

don't let those feminists near gta

yarpen

Novice
SuicideBunny said:
geralt was mostly a lazy choice from a design perspective, and one to score extra brownie points with poland and russia, as far as i can tell.
game could work just as well with a customizable character, including gender.
It's true to some extent, although I'd replace 'lazy' with 'most natural' :). Female witchers would be rather controversial, tho, they were in the movie and werent well received (to put it mildly, movie was shitty for other reasons, tho). There are no female witchers, just like there are no male amazons.

Texas Red

Whiner
Why are women the most powerful sorcerers? Stop forcing your femenist superiorty theories on me!

Deleted member 7219

Volourn said:
This is why I fuckin' hate Tomb Raider! Fuckin' creators don't allow me to play a male character! Fuck 'em! Fuckin' cowards are threatened by a male playing!

So good I quoted it.

Alex

Arcane
I would prefer a game with a pre-defined character that has some ability customization over a game where you can define your character's appearance/genre/age/whatever but plays the same no matter what.

I don't think the avatar should be that much of an issue. Sure, with some work, maybe a female character would be possible in the Witcher or Two Worlds, but I think that work put toward this is mostly wasted unless the game plays significantly differently.

Deleted member 7219

People these days have the wrong idea of an RPG. They think RPGs are games that let you create and dress up your character like a Barbie Doll. What happens to your character after that, and choices & consequences don't matter shit to these people.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
c&c aside, if i have to stare at an ass/shoulder/back for 60+ hours, i'd much rather have it be part of a female.

Longshanks

Augur
Another case of Oblivionitis?

I know I've never played Beyond Good and Evil because the main character is female, also because of the links to that Nazi Nietzsche. :wink:

MetalCraze

Arcane
People these days have the wrong idea of an RPG. They think RPGs are games that let you create and dress up your character like a Barbie Doll. What happens to your character after that, and choices & consequences don't matter shit to these people.

"does Vampire Bloodlines have many types of armor? Dressing up my character is what I like in RPGs the most!" © some moron at russian torrent site.

actually there always were such people, Matt. When Diablo came out it even became worse. Such people called munchkins. Therefore they must suffer.

Ausir

Arcane
Alex said:
I don't think the avatar should be that much of an issue. Sure, with some work, maybe a female character would be possible in the Witcher or Two Worlds, but I think that work put toward this is mostly wasted unless the game plays significantly differently.

Well, except that according to the books, there were no female witchers. Ever (well, with the exception of princess Ciri, who underwent partial witcher training in the books, but not any of the mutations).

Alex

Arcane
Ausir said:
Alex said:

Well, except that according to the books, there were no female witchers. Ever (well, with the exception of princess Ciri, who underwent partial witcher training in the books, but not any of the mutations).

Sorry, I haven't read the books (or even played the game yet for that matter). However, what I was trying to say is that if they wanted to provide a female witcher, they probably could. they would need to explain her and it also might conflict with setting/theme/mood/whatever. However I don't think you should provide a female model if all it changes is graphics. Graphic differences should be supported by gameplay differences.

Ausir

Arcane
However, what I was trying to say is that if they wanted to provide a female witcher, they probably could.

They would have to face the rage of Sapkowski's fans, just like makers of a LotR game would if they provided a female Aragorn or Frodo. :) By the way, the Witcher movie and TV series had a female witcher, but they were pretty awful adaptations (btw, there is a version of the series with English subs on torrent sites, and a DVD version of the movie with subs available on Amazon, but I strongly discourage downloading or buying it. It's not worth your bandwidth, let alone money).

Morbus

Scholar
The Walkin' Dude said:
Why are women the most powerful sorcerers? Stop forcing your femenist superiorty theories on me!
coz deir hawt

boobies!!! :nosebleed:

Ausir

Arcane
The Walkin' Dude said:

There are many powerful male sorcerers in The Witcher books, including Vilgefortz, one of the main villains.

dragonfk

Erudite
Ausir said:
The Walkin' Dude said:

There are many powerful male sorcerers in The Witcher books, including Vilgefortz, one of the main villains.

From what I recall after the battle of Sodden it was plainly said that Vilgefortz is the most powerfull wizard among the humans.

Ausir

Arcane
He's dead by the time of the game, though. And Ciri eventually becomes even more powerful than he is. :)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ausir said:
However, what I was trying to say is that if they wanted to provide a female witcher, they probably could.

They would have to face the rage of Sapkowski's fans, just like makers of a LotR game would if they provided a female Aragorn or Frodo. :) By the way, the Witcher movie and TV series had a female witcher, but they were pretty awful adaptations (btw, there is a version of the series with English subs on torrent sites, and a DVD version of the movie with subs available on Amazon, but I strongly discourage downloading or buying it. It's not worth your bandwidth, let alone money).

I guess this is the movie you mean. It doesn't look that horrible though.

Ausir

Arcane
Ooops, sorry. Well, the whole game is one big spoiler for the books, though. I wouldn't be surprised if Vilgefortz or Ciri are mentioned in the game somewhere. Anyway, changed it to tiny font now.

As for the movie, the trailer actually looks OK, but the movie itself is pretty bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom