Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why can't I play a *female* char in the Witcher? EPIC LULZ

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Ausir said:
He's dead by the time of the game, though. And Ciri eventually becomes even more powerful than he is. :)
Actually no, she did not. Where did you get this idea?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Walkin' Dude said:
abstract said:
JarlFrank said:
I guess this is the movie you mean. It doesn't look that horrible though.

Uwe Boll and Ed Wood couldn't make a worse movie if they tried.

Eh? Whats so bad about it? Looked fine to me.

Yeah, doesn't look bad. Except for the shitty animated dragon. He's the only thing that comes off as cheesy and badly made.

abstract

Scholar
Just trust me (and others who have seen it), it's utter, utter shit. The acting is shit, the effects are shit, the dialogues are shit, the script is shit. Really.
Or hey, go ahead and watch it. It might be good for a laugh if you watch it with your friends while getting pissed and doing lines of coke off a hooker's ass.

Ausir

Arcane
Hamster said:
Ausir said:
He's dead by the time of the game, though. And Ciri eventually becomes even more powerful than he is. :)

Well, I don't suppose Vilgefortz is able to travel between worlds easily? With enough experience, I think she'll eventually surpass Vilgefortz in power.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Ausir said:
Hamster said:
Ausir said:

Well, I don't suppose Vilgefortz is able to travel between worlds easily? With enough experience, I think she'll eventually surpass Vilgefortz in power.
As far as i remember she is unable to do anything except for this teleport thing.
Check out the end of the last book where she says that she refused her magic powers and is now unable to do anything to help Geralt

aries202

Erudite
The answer to the obvious whining cited in the OP is that The Witcher tells the story about Geralt - a male Witcher. Maybe the next game will tell the story about a female Witcher...

I don't understand why some people insists on playing the same gender as they play irl, afterall The Witcher is a role-playing game, isn't? To me, this means, that you, as the player, are able to play other characters than what normally play, irl.
I mean I have played a half-elf or an elf or even a
hot chick in some role-playing games. I have played a very dead dude in Planescape as well.

I don't understand why she complaisg about this. It really is her responsibility to get info on the games she will buy. If she had done this, she would have known that in The Witcher you can only play as Geralt - for story reasons.

And yes, there were plenty of previews...

for the Witcher...

Ausir

Arcane
Maybe the next game will tell the story about a female Witcher.

There are no female witchers, with the exception of Ciri, who by the end of the books is far too powerful to be played in a game.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Ausir said:
Maybe the next game will tell the story about a female Witcher.

There are no female witchers, with the exception of Ciri, who by the end of the books is far too powerful to be played in a game.
Geralt is far too dead by the end of the books to be playd in the game...

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
JarlFrank said:
The Walkin' Dude said:
abstract said:
JarlFrank said:
I guess this is the movie you mean. It doesn't look that horrible though.
Uwe Boll and Ed Wood couldn't make a worse movie if they tried.
Eh? Whats so bad about it? Looked fine to me.
Yeah, doesn't look bad. Except for the shitty animated dragon. He's the only thing that comes off as cheesy and badly made.
That's from the TV-series that you can find with English subs if you look for it. When I watched the first episode I thought it was utter shit but since I had nothing better to do I forced myself to watch it. After a while the cheesiness and corniness just grew on me and I was able to watch the rest of the series without feeling like resorting to self-mutilation. It wasn't too bad of an introduction to the setting of the game and Geralt's place in it.

Texas Red

Whiner
Well frankly I wouldnt want to be forced to play a woman either :?. But I definitely wouldnt miss out PS:T or TW for such a reason. Ive seen at least several women on the boards who didnt want to play PS:T just because youre stuck with TNO. Might be because the dressing up part of PRGs is what attracts them(very similar to dolls, no?).

Plus I think women should handle playing with male characters with less frustration than men with female ones. In literature women write about men and men write about men as well.

ship_crack

Novice
I wouldin't mind playing the witcher with female character as the protagonist , even if its off the storyline but i'd only have one demand. LAAAAARGE BUBBS! it's the main component! like my friend bismarck the fat german once said " SAY NO TO FLAT-CHESTED VIMEN".

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Seriously, outside of the fact that the game is based on the books, from what i've played of the game, it could have been done with either a male or female protaganist. Though, from this thread, there's a side that hates the idea of female witchers or don't think they belong in the Wither universe. L0L

I believe the game would have been better (it is fun thus far) if we didn't have to play a precreated character since I find it kinda handcuffs my role-playing. I feel more like an actor in a mostly pre written story that can adlib a bit.

They could have had the PC be a newly made Witcher (or wannabe Witcher), and have their story . That way they could also have avoided the lame amnesia plotpoint, and still have fetaured Geralt the famolus Witcher too.

Everyone wins!

P.S. The person who whined though is still a moron. Sorry.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
The best way would be to make PC a witcher from a distant witcher school, not Kaer Morhen. That way he will be unaware both of detailed history of the region and the local monsters.

Ausir

Arcane
Seriously, outside of the fact that the game is based on the books, from what i've played of the game, it could have been done with either a male or female protaganist. Though, from this thread, there's a side that hates the idea of female witchers or don't think they belong in the Wither universe. L0L

I believe the game would have been better (it is fun thus far) if we didn't have to play a precreated character since I find it kinda handcuffs my role-playing. I feel more like an actor in a mostly pre written story that can adlib a bit.

They could have had the PC be a newly made Witcher (or wannabe Witcher), and have their story . That way they could also have avoided the lame amnesia plotpoint, and still have fetaured Geralt the famolus Witcher too.

No new witchers are made since the massacre of Kaer Morhen nearly 100 years ago (yes, Geralt is that old). And yes, female witchers don't belong in the Witcher universe because it's explicitly said in the books that all witchers are male. And I don't think any witchers were ever made outside of Kaer Morhen.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Accoridng to other posts, the movies prove otherwise. L0L

Anyways, I haven't read the books, or watched the movies so i don't care. Still, even consenting to the NO FEMALES ALLOWED policy, they'd be better off not forcing the player to play an amnesiac Geralt.

P.S. This isn't me bashing the game, btw, for the decision. It's not the end of the world just like being forced to be TNO wasn't the end of the world either.

Ausir

Arcane
As I said, the movie and the TV series were bad and weren't very faithful to the books - the game is much more faithful to the canon.

And I agree, having another witcher instead of Geralt would've been better (and was actually the initial idea, which got changed for some reason).

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Ausir said:
And I don't think any witchers were ever made outside of Kaer Morhen.
There are at least two more witcher schools in the world. In the third book there was a witcher who came from another school in the south, Koyon, iirc.
No new witchers are made since the massacre of Kaer Morhen nearly 100 years ago (yes, Geralt is that old
Right. Wtf Leo is doing in the game then? :)

Ausir

Arcane
According to the prequel comic book "Zdrada" (based on an outline by Sapkowski), all three witcher schools were centered around Kaer Morhen.

And who's Leo?

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Ausir said:
According to the prequel comic book "Zdrada" (based on an outline by Sapkowski), all three witcher schools were centered around Kaer Morhen.
I think this can be ignored in order to create a better game.

Ausir

Arcane
Ah, I haven't played the game yet. I'm just talking about things I remember from the books.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Hamster said:
Right. Wtf Leo is doing in the game then? :)
He's just a human since he isn't mutated. The existing witchers just trained him in use of weaponry and possibly alchemy. It's all quite thoroughly explained in the prologue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom