Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why DA2 is an ugly game.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So while reading the bioware social board and ragging like a mad man a though hit me on why DA2 is such and ugly game.
It is the class of styles and the difference in quality from one thing to the other.

For Example.
dragon-age-2-.jpg

In this picture you can see a fairly detailed Armour/Blood splatter and yet you have a hurlock to the left that is blurry and a ground that also looks like it is out of focus.
Now that entire picture is kind of low grade, but the point still stands.

Now of course a lot of the fanboys and twilight wannabe brigade is going to scream up about that the game is stylised and in some cases that is a fair point. The only issue is that stylised dose not mean ugly.

Take a game like Kings bounty Armoured Princess.

kings-bounty-armored-princess--20090416080155527.jpg

Kings-Bounty-Armored-Princess_4.jpg

4.jpg

It is by no means a high performing super game that will test your grafiks card, but it is a stylised game that has a kind of unique look that both plays into the story and fell of the game.
IT is also a good looking game becaus it is persistent with Great art work, menus and art design that all looks to be from the same universe.

Now back to DA2.
screenshot_da204_35862.jpg

dragonage2_229420.jpg

431px-Merrill-Cleaned.png

There is something that is nice and detailed then it is ruined by something massive like the hair looking more like a wig or a helmet then hair.
A Detailed weapon, but a very un-detailed face.
A somewhat detailed scarf/armour with GIANT square boobs and hair that looks like it was badly photo shopped on.

Dragon-Age2-Demo-Party.jpg

dragonage2_232181.jpg

Her you have the whole shebang in one picture and it is kind of clear to see the big disconnect between art style, details and so on.

Lifeless backgrounds with huge stretches of land with nothing. No dead tress, no abandoned farms, shrubberies or any thing. Nothing interesting other then a small little fire in one direction.
We have some detailed armour and weapons, but again we have the horrid looking ground.

There is a ton of little things her and there (and some big ones) that breaks the look for the game and the clashes in art styles.

So in the end the reason why DA2 is such and ugly game is not becaus of detail or quality, but becaus there is not one clear art direction and things do not seem to fit into the same universe.
It is not consistent and that makes the game look even uglier.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO I THINK YOU NEED ANOTHER THREAD ALL THIS DA2 INFO CANNOT BE CONAINED JUST HERE LOPKLMFOLAHNSFDKANHFOLIQUEBF

Baron

Arcane
Actually you convinced me of the other position. It looks okay to me, the close up of Hawke's face, the simplicity of the character creation screen, and I like the scorched desolate landscape. You can't compare pixel interface artwork to 3d characters and landscape, apples and kiwi fruit. Also like the minimalist interface on DA2, I always look for mods to reduce or remove those.

Still won't buy it, really didn't get any enjoyment from the first one. But I understand some people in the Philippines like to hammer themselves to a crucifix for the holidays, so it doesn't surprise me all that much that some people liked it. Different tastes and what not.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
There are a bunch of issues I have with it.

First, I don't like the art style in general... that means the armour and darkspawn that look like creatures from a Bron painting, the enormous swords lifted from japanimation, the washed out, unattractive palette, and the very empty landscapes.

Second, I don't like the actual implementation... I think this is more of what you were talking about. Inconsistent texture quality, muddy graphics, etc. It's hard to know for sure if the empty environments were a conscious choice or just something that Bioware did because they had framerate issues. I'm guessing the latter, but it could be the former.

Regardless, the two facets, when taken together, add up to a very unattractive game, in my opinion.

desocupado

Magister
BLOBERT said:
BRO I THINK YOU NEED ANOTHER THREAD ALL THIS DA2 INFO CANNOT BE CONAINED JUST HERE LOPKLMFOLAHNSFDKANHFOLIQUEBF

No, seriously, we need a bloody DA2 subforum.

I think I will make go ask for one in site feedback, because this shit is too much.

The game isn't even good, for christ sakes, why the hell do you talk so much about it?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Don't worry, in 2 months it'll be The Witcher 2 that's prominently featured on the boards, then half a year after that Skyrim will get lots of loving.

FatCat

Educated
treave said:
Don't worry, in 2 months it'll be The Witcher 2 that's prominently featured on the boards, then half a year after that Skyrim will get lots of loving.

Everyone will love Witcher 2 as it is like extremely improved ME2 in way better setting.

ortucis

Prophet
I need a job working at BioWare as a level designer. EASIEST JOB EVER!

No seriously though, level design is ASS in this game. I am not complaining about art style, but the detail in the world. It's like a terrain exported from Terragen and few random doodads placed here and there. There was more detail in Warcraft 3 than this next-gen blockbuster has from what I have seen so far.

baronjohn

Cipher
The problem with Dragon Ass 2 is that it has no style. Just look at Pathologic, a game that was considered to have bad graphics by reviewers. It has a great style and it ends up looking a billion times better than Ass Age 2.

System Shock 2 will always look better than ANY Unreal 3 game no matter how many shaders they pile up there because U3 games have no style and end up looking like shit.

game2009110112175221.jpg

game2009110119000692.jpg

game2009110119542119.jpg

Now wait just a minute here... The third version of the unreal engine is one of the most stable creations out there, and its capable of some impressive graphics if the people who are making the game aren't a bunch of dumbfucks who doesn't know how to handle it properly.

Dragon age 2 looks horrible because of Bioware's epic grimdark mistakes, not because of the engine itself.

baronjohn

Cipher
If it's so great, how come all the U3 games look (and play) like shit? The Moran Developer Hypothesis only goes so far. It might explain a few games, but ALL of them?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
baronjohn said:
The problem with Dragon Ass 2 is that it has no style. Just look at Pathologic, a game that was considered to have bad graphics by reviewers. It has a great style and it ends up looking a billion times better than Ass Age 2.

System Shock 2 will always look better than ANY Unreal 3 game no matter how many shaders they pile up there because U3 games have no style and end up looking like shit.

game2009110112175221.jpg

game2009110119000692.jpg

game2009110119542119.jpg

BRO LET'S INCLINE THIS THREAD WITH Ice-Pick Lodge's GAMES SCREENSHOTS BECAUSE I NEARLY LOST MY SIGHT AFTER LOOKING AT DA 2 SCREENS

TENSION THE VOID:
void2.jpg

TheVoid-Screenshot_pool1_l.jpg

82e8d1821536322828.jpg

5c0887f51536323765.jpg

eq2gs7.jpg

scr0000.podgl%C4%85d.png

ElenionTheVoid.jpg

tension-ima.jpg

BROS TENSION THE VOID HAS MUCH MORE CHOICES & CONSEQUENCES THAN ALL DRAGON AGES AND MASS EFFECTS COMBINED SO BETTER PLAY THIS THAT BIOWARE'S TURDS

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Konjad said:
BROS TENSION THE VOID HAS MUCH MORE CHOICES & CONSEQUENCES THAN ALL DRAGON AGES AND MASS EFFECTS COMBINED SO BETTER PLAY THIS THAT BIOWARE'S TURDS
Unfortunately, it has even less gameplay than a final fantasy game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
CrimsonAngel said:
Every time I see this picture, I think that Bioware ripped of Mordor from LOTR. Problem is, Lothering is supposed to be a farmland, with lots of green field and farms.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
octavius said:
What the hells is that weapon the dude in front is holding? Is it a sword or a polearm?
It's a buster sword. He probably stole it from Cloud in Final Fantasy.
ea72cbea10c47b94b8ce33485ef94bab.jpg

baronjohn

Cipher
J_C said:
CrimsonAngel said:
Every time I see this picture, I think that Bioware ripped of Mordor from LOTR. Problem is, Lothering is supposed to be a farmland, with lots of green field and farms.
Actually it looks like they ripped off mars.

mars-mera-sol-1000-panorama-release-mcmurdo-desk-1024.jpg

Destroid

Arcane
Anisotropic filtering would help with those blurry textures in the first picture. As would better light/shadow implementation, although it looks better in some of the other screenshots. Incidentally Pathologic's main issue is the lack of shadows, which make it look pretty weird these days (Fallout3 and NV suffer the same problem, very basic shadowing).

Black

Arcane
What we need is "flavour of the month" subforum.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The flaw that annoys me the most is the neat "gap" between the ground and the characters. They almost seem like they've been PS'd on the background, and their feet don't even seem to actually be in contact with the ground surface.

J_C said:
CrimsonAngel said:

Graphically that looks about as good as this game
screenshot79ew9.jpg

And that was a freaking decade ago, and it doesn't force you on a retarded linear path like the image above but allows you to freely explore the world. While in the last few years game play has been on decline at least graphics have improved, but now the modern games only saving grace is also on decline. Then what of worth is left in them? Absolutely nothing. Even Fallout 3 looked better than this and that was designed for the same hardware, with a similarly bleak landscape.

Was that Place called Lothering by the way? And didn't some Bioware dude say that they didn't want to name places after real world places as to not confuse people or whatever their reason was. One wonders if they have ever heard of Lothringen/Lotharingia, sounds confusingly similar to me :M

ortucis

Prophet
Well damn, it IS inspired from FF..

behold shitty photoshop
daaa.jpg

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
dem low-res fucking textures man.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom