Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Why do MMOs suck so much?

Poseidon00

Arcane
Yeah P99 is pretty cool I started it after reading about it on here. If they want to spy on my gaming PC let them, I use the internet with the assumption that everything I do is public knowledge anyways lol

Sonic Titan

Educated
TLP EQ > Project 1999 overall in my opinion.

On P99 only 1-50 is good. Anything after that is asshole cancer, and don't even get me started on the raid scene. Fucking AWFUL. It's all a bunch of 40 year old sweatlords who don't do anything but subpoena other guilds over who should get loot rights and "First-to-Engage" rights on x raid target.

For example: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wJEUx3EBUEn85z47gqBh2iHkYjpIUWqZ-QVgHIPzoXg/edit

and the defense: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uo4970iqxOAAKxt8iVR2KCpHqygZruw8Km05giAuj-8/edit

CRINGE

Codex Year of the Donut
TLP EQ > Project 1999 overall in my opinion.

On P99 only 1-50 is good. Anything after that is asshole cancer, and don't even get me started on the raid scene. Fucking AWFUL. It's all a bunch of 40 year old sweatlords who don't do anything but subpoena other guilds over who should get loot rights and "First-to-Engage" rights on x raid target.

For example: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wJEUx3EBUEn85z47gqBh2iHkYjpIUWqZ-QVgHIPzoXg/edit

and the defense: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uo4970iqxOAAKxt8iVR2KCpHqygZruw8Km05giAuj-8/edit

CRINGE
imposing some arbitrary meta-rules on this is retarded
either implement a real system to deal with it or let players sort it out themselves, otherwise you end up with this cringeshit

Codex Year of the Donut
P99 is the best version of EQ today, but they spy on your PC. So I would stay away from it.

The citation I trusted was a programmer on discord. But it is open source code so it gets talked about sometimes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/project199...ject_1999_dsetupdll_scans_your_open_programs/
https://www.project1999.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-215290.html
etc.

This is just typical clientside anti-cheat malware behavior, e.g., easyanticheat does the exact same thing.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
P99 is the best version of EQ today, but they spy on your PC. So I would stay away from it.

The citation I trusted was a programmer on discord. But it is open source code so it gets talked about sometimes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/project199...ject_1999_dsetupdll_scans_your_open_programs/
https://www.project1999.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-215290.html
etc.

This is just typical clientside anti-cheat malware behavior, e.g., easyanticheat does the exact same thing.
I was told if you look at the source code, it looks at the name of every open 'thing' on your PC, which includes the name of any documents you have open, all your browser tabs, programs, processes, etc. Most things that most people play are bound by EULAs and things that stop them doing anything too intrusive, but P99 isn't.

Norfleet

I was told if you look at the source code, it looks at the name of every open 'thing' on your PC, which includes the name of any documents you have open, all your browser tabs, programs, processes, etc. Most things that most people play are bound by EULAs and things that stop them doing anything too intrusive, but P99 isn't.
I think they'd better be really careful what they're doing there, because I'm pretty sure this is likely to run afoul of the law in several jurisdictions.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think they'd better be really careful what they're doing there, because I'm pretty sure this is likely to run afoul of the law in several jurisdictions.
Maybe but there's no EULA and they aren't a company. It's also probably secondary to the illegal RMT.

Norfleet

RMT isn't actually illegal. Companies may not like it, but it's not actually a crime. EULAe are in a questionable legal gray area as it is and ultimately has nothing to do with privacy laws in various jurisdictions. "Not being a company" may actually be a weakness if it means they lack the resources to attempt to fight.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The concept isn't illegal but in the case of p99 it is. They aren't a business, and aren't paying tax etc. It's just people taking cash for IP made by someone else, it's probably illegal in several different ways.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Lol. This has got to be indirectly pointed at codexers. I mean, ya'll say just about EVERYTHING SUCKS.

Perkel

Arcane
All i saw in video was fag trying to explain why his shit mmo is not actually shit mmo. "uhhhh guys MMO MASSIVE multiplayer online RPG !! MASSIVE. Voice acting !, A lot of systems etc.

They suck because they are shit and they don't have any fucking systems as they are cookie cutter games now with 0 player improvisation.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Lol. This has got to be indirectly pointed at codexers. I mean, ya'll say just about EVERYTHING SUCKS.

He's babbling, they suck because they
decline.png
declined the same as single player RPGs and FPSs and everything else. And his misguided / evil response to The Decline is to say, "people grow to hate minor changes, then report how bad things are, but what they hate might not matter to you!" The changes are exactly what made the games suck, and if people saw first hand how they used to be and how they are now after the changes then it would matter to them a lot! I hope he doesn't work in retail because he is probably serving people dogfood.

Sonic Titan

Educated
All i saw in video was fag trying to explain why his shit mmo is not actually shit mmo. "uhhhh guys MMO MASSIVE multiplayer online RPG !! MASSIVE. Voice acting !, A lot of systems etc.

They suck because they are shit and they don't have any fucking systems as they are cookie cutter games now with 0 player improvisation.

Sorry you didn't get dragon loot LOL

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Killing pigs IRL is no picnic. Its a chore and a half. I'd rather chop a tree down with a hatchet and saw it with a steak knife. Damn pig crap everywhere, squealing fuckers running around... makes you feel like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. You almost want to blast their heads off with a shotgun.

Send your pigs to the slaughterhouse rather than do it yourself (or be damn quick).

When did games NOT suck? Tbh, early games are ... ok but it doesn't mean they're great. Fuck, you can nitpick anything to death.

@people in general
Dude is partially right.... assholes want to blather negativity in all walks of life. I swear, if life is that so fucking miserable and disappointing the fucking off yourself. You won't be missed by the majority. More important....YOU WON'T MISSED BY ME!
I'll fucking applaud you are gone for a few seconds then forget your sorry ass. That's life. Bitches cry over worthless shit and let others know who don't give a rusty rut fuck about your opinion.

Maybe MMOs need an instant pvp spam on whiners and bitchers. Then they can rage quit as they smash their own computers.

when was the last time I played a mmo? uh.... fuck if I know.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
When did games NOT suck?
In the 90s! EQ, UO, DAOC, were awesome, primitive but awesome. So were lots of 90s PC games that were non MMOs, System Shock, Tribes, C&C, SWAT, Homeworld, AoW, etc. It all declined like hell. People are negative but excusing the decline is stupid.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
True. I can see that logic. Still, there are people so negative on everything they suck the souls of players like some sort if vampire.

Norfleet

Decline is inevitable and inexorable, a natural product of entropic existence.

They aren't a business, and aren't paying tax etc.
Well, if they're making any money, they'd BETTER be, or they'll find themselves in the shit eventually.

It's just people taking cash for IP made by someone else, it's probably illegal in several different ways.
An interesting argument to pull, given that we seem to be talking about a private server made as an emulation of someone else's IP...I feel like this is not a wise direction to pursue.

curds

Magister
All EQ servers require multiboxxing, making them lame before you even start playing.
p99 does not allow boxing and in my time playing on it on and off for about 3 years, I have never seen anybody boxing (and it's pretty easy to tell when somebody is doing it).

also, even if it were allowed, it is certainly not required to have a good time. 85% of the time I've had no trouble at all finding a group. in fact I've had better luck finding groups on p99 than i have had in much bigger games, like classic wow.

can't speak for the official servers or other emulated EQ servers, though. my everquest experience starts and ends with p99.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom