Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Why do MMOs suck so much?

Gregz

Arcane
All EQ servers require multiboxxing, making them lame before you even start playing.
p99 does not allow boxing and in my time playing on it on and off for about 3 years, I have never seen anybody boxing (and it's pretty easy to tell when somebody is doing it).

I'm confused, because I've played p99 and only ever saw people botting. I saw one asshole clear out all of Crushbone with 3 characters, and yes, it was obvious he was botting.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh man the botting on Aion was annoying. Same shit. A pack of fuckers moving in sync to kill or loot resources. Selling gold and wanting credit card numbers via spamming sucked too. Oh korean shit games. Did that shit happen on WOW, ultima online, etc? Dunno.

I do know UO had various new servers by private people I guess???

Gamebase is saturated and I've seen shit games even in the 80s and before. There's always been shit. Can't say I've ever caught that dragon yet if a perfect game in any genre. Some are pretty good and a lot are less than uh... well they are crappy. I'll never play much less finish a fraction of what is out there.

Makes me want to till the garden or bike in the swamp tbh.

Codex Year of the Donut
EG7 is working on a new "AAA-MMO", buried in their interim report.
EG7 is the owner of EQ, EQ2, DCUO LOTRO, DDO, and probably others I've forgotten. Also, they were an oil and gas company until like... two years ago when they decided to start buying video game companies.
RRaLxPc.png

Sonic Titan

Educated
All EQ servers require multiboxxing, making them lame before you even start playing.
p99 does not allow boxing and in my time playing on it on and off for about 3 years, I have never seen anybody boxing (and it's pretty easy to tell when somebody is doing it).

also, even if it were allowed, it is certainly not required to have a good time. 85% of the time I've had no trouble at all finding a group. in fact I've had better luck finding groups on p99 than i have had in much bigger games, like classic wow.

can't speak for the official servers or other emulated EQ servers, though. my everquest experience starts and ends with p99.

People don't actively box toons while leveling/grouping lol. They park their druids/clerics/enchanters in the same zones as the toon they're leveling to quickly port, rez, buff as needed. EVERYBODY in the endgame does that.

Ravielsk

Magister
Lol. This has got to be indirectly pointed at codexers. I mean, ya'll say just about EVERYTHING SUCKS.

I seriously cannot stand wank like this.
For one he is babbling like a 6 year old struggling to explain why he likes the red gummy bears more than the green ones. He presents obvious general truisms like "negativity spreads faster and easier" or "nostalgia blinds you to the current state of things" which are... well true but also entirely irrelevant to the point he is trying to make. Its just series of not false statements that do not connect to form anything coherent. Its quantitative thinking at its finest. The guy is essentially presenting a large volumes of first year psychology wankery in hopes that by virtue of quoting a lot of it, it will somehow form his points for him. Without even realizing that most of what he says directly undermines his own position.
Its as if you asked me why did I put sardines on the pizza and I, instead of admitting that I ran out of sausage and pepperoni. would start spinning some nonsense about the importance of a balanced diet that should mostly consists of fresh foods in a ration of 70:30 to processed foods.

Second by virtue of even making a video like this the guy is essentially implying that nothing has actually changes in the last 20 years. The games are the same, the people are the same, the prices are the same, the content is the same... its all the same, its just me and a couple of faggots who grew up to be grumpy old shits at the ripe age of 20 something and are now just spreading their made up negativity around the globe. For no real reason at all.

:prosper:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
He and others sure follow the Dream World fiasco. I guess there is a challenge now for Dreamworld vs Nightmare World

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Has someone covered the very possible League of Legends RPG on the codex, besides your favorite youtuber? I know you ALL:love: LOVE :love:his content.

Is it a :hype:

or what did he say?
stSbbLn.jpg

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Has someone covered the very possible League of Legends RPG on the codex, besides your favorite youtuber? I know you ALL:love: LOVE :love:his content.

the part on brand recognition was interesting at least ("if LotRO wasn't LotR-branded, would anyone today still play?")

Sharpedge

Prophet
Lol. This has got to be indirectly pointed at codexers. I mean, ya'll say just about EVERYTHING SUCKS.

For one he is babbling like a 6 year old struggling to explain why he likes the red gummy bears more than the green ones. He presents obvious general truisms like "negativity spreads faster and easier" or "nostalgia blinds you to the current state of things" which are... well true but also entirely irrelevant to the point he is trying to make. Its just series of not false statements that do not connect to form anything coherent. Its quantitative thinking at its finest. The guy is essentially presenting a large volumes of first year psychology wankery in hopes that by virtue of quoting a lot of it, it will somehow form his points for him. Without even realizing that most of what he says directly undermines his own position.
Its as if you asked me why did I put sardines on the pizza and I, instead of admitting that I ran out of sausage and pepperoni. would start spinning some nonsense about the importance of a balanced diet that should mostly consists of fresh foods in a ration of 70:30 to processed foods.

Second by virtue of even making a video like this the guy is essentially implying that nothing has actually changes in the last 20 years. The games are the same, the people are the same, the prices are the same, the content is the same... its all the same, its just me and a couple of faggots who grew up to be grumpy old shits at the ripe age of 20 something and are now just spreading their made up negativity around the globe. For no real reason at all.

I used to know this guy (before he started making youtube content). Hes an actor. I wasn't surprised at all when he "made it big" on youtube since he has the right personality for it as well as the required grit to stick it through until eventually he found an audience, but he does have a tendency to waffle on and on about inane shit without ever really saying anything. I can't really be bothered to watch anything he posts, since anything he says is something you could come up with yourself if you spend just 5 minutes thinking about the topic. He doesn't have an expert's knowledge on the topic hes talking about, so the only real reason to watch his content is if you like the personality he presents. He is a pretty decent guy and hes nice to chat with, which is more than I can say for most youtube personalities I have had the "pleasure" of interacting with.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut

the part on brand recognition was interesting at least ("if LotRO wasn't LotR-branded, would anyone today still play?")

But it's not true.
If LotRO was a poor LotR game, nobody would play it.
People play it because it's the most accurate imagining of the books that exists.

The devs were never licensed to use any work from the movies, btw, only the books.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

I used to know this guy (before he started making youtube content). Hes an actor. I wasn't surprised at all when he "made it big" on youtube since he has the right personality for it as well as the required grit to stick it through until eventually he found an audience, but he does have a tendency to waffle on and on about inane shit without ever really saying anything. I can't really be bothered to watch anything he posts, since anything he says is something you could come up with yourself if you spend just 5 minutes thinking about the topic. He doesn't have an expert's knowledge on the topic hes talking about, so the only real reason to watch his content is if you like the personality he presents. He is a pretty decent guy and hes nice to chat with, which is more than I can say for most youtube personalities I have had the "pleasure" of interacting with.

Yeah, i find myself skipping around the FF button a fair bit.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Jinx? Why does this style scream WOKE!
UydcRbg.jpg

wQPoGi8.png

I'm seeing this style all over. Dykes, Trannies, etc.. I have a few nieces going this route. WTF? Is that a dude? A chick? An IT?

cOB4Qmz.jpg

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

But it's not true.
If LotRO was a poor LotR game, nobody would play it.
People play it because it's the most accurate imagining of the books that exists.

The devs were never licensed to use any work from the movies, btw, only the books.

that wasn't the point, it was that if it was a non-LotR MMO, even if it was good, it'd be dead and buried; because it uses the LotR license and uses it well, it's still played

Last edited:

0wca

Learned
The only modern MMO that I thought did a different approach to grinding was Guild Wars 2. It basically made quests evironmental and almost any activity in that game gave you XP. You could actually level up by building up trade skills or just do PvP. I still play it on and off every once in a while.

But man, I remember the Ultima Online days. Used to play it on a private server back in highschool. That stuff was unhinged, in a good way.

Norfleet

wQPoGi8.png

I'm seeing this style all over. Dykes, Trannies, etc.. I have a few nieces going this route. WTF? Is that a dude? A chick? An IT?
Given that even her eyebrows are blue, I think it goes beyond merely dangerhair, but the red eyes suggest "not really a human". But there's nothing about that outfit that otherwise would imply "dude", it's clearly a "chick" outfit. Kind of a trashy one, though.

Caim

Arcane
The only modern MMO that I thought did a different approach to grinding was Guild Wars 2. It basically made quests evironmental and almost any activity in that game gave you XP. You could actually level up by building up trade skills or just do PvP. I still play it on and off every once in a while.
If an MMO absolutely has to do the "gather 20 bear asses" quest thing (RS has proven that they don't), they might as well copy GW2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom