Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

why do some people have their rating dumbfuck?

caveyboy

Scholar
Really though because,I see some people with that rank.
does it mean they are spammers?

Sarvis

Erudite
You get labled a dumbfuck if your opinions don't march in lockstep with the rest of the Codex.

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
Sarvis said:
You get labled a dumbfuck if your opinions don't march in lockstep with the rest of the Codex.
no you get labeled a dumbfuck if you are a dumbfuck
but seriously i think the staff decides it

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
Quigs said:
I got mine for pissing off rex.

That, and being a dumbfuck.
well you are a dumbfuck if you piss of the site designer(am i the only one who realizes that without sol we wouldnt be posting here?)

Sarvis

Erudite
MINIGUNWIELDER said:
Quigs said:
I got mine for pissing off rex.

That, and being a dumbfuck.
well you are a dumbfuck if you piss of the site designer(am i the only one who realizes that without sol we wouldnt be posting here?)

Yeah, because Ex is the only person in the world who can design a site. :roll:

Tintin

Arbiter
Sarvis said:

Not true, or else I would have three dumbfucks under my name.

*waits for three dumbfucks to be placed under my name*

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Eh, it got started by Rex, and I think it just continues. Sarvis definitely deserves it, unless it was rex who gave it to him. Then it should be taken away, as we all know how moody rex can be. Quigs too.

RGE

Liturgist
MINIGUNWIELDER said:
According to the words down at the bottom, we'd still post here, but it wouldn't look as nice. It'd probably look quite awful. But we would probably have gotten used to it.

And I believe that people earn their dumbfuck badges by annoying the people who have the power to hand those badges out. All those people need is motive and opportunity, and they always have the opportunity. Well, unless someone's popularity might prevent them, but I don't know about that. Are there any dumbfucks around who can show that they received their badge despite being popular with the other posters?

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Sarvis said:
I suspect there may be a little bit more to it than that. :wink:
[Edit: what I mean is, that there are those of us who openly disagree with the "codex opinion" (actually I'm not entirely certain this exists, but I'll leave that for another thread) that don't get labelled. It may have something to do with persistence...]

Are there any dumbfucks around who can show that they received their badge despite being popular with the other posters?
I can't think of any off-hand.

But this thing about dumbfuckery is interesting. I can honestly say that, for me, none of the most infuriatingly thick and annoying people on this board have the dumbfuck title. Some people who exist on this board purely to act thoroughly dumb and annoying , who surely deserve the title in spades, just do not, for some very odd reason, get stuck with the label.

So I'm not entirely certain it is about being dumb, but more about having an unpopular take on certain subject matter and sticking to it against all "reason" (those quote marks are quite purposeful). Or just being argumentative for the sake of it. But then people claim that is one of the good things about this forum, that you can do so (i.e. be argumentative) without being censured.
*Ahem*
So...like I say, it is a very interesting thing...

[Then again, it took ages for Volly to get his, and that was merely for being a dick and after years of being pointlessly argumentative too. So I don't think there is much consistency in the way they are handed out...]

Sarvis

Erudite
Shagnak said:
[Edit: what I mean is, that there are those of us who openly disagree with the "codex opinion" (actually I'm not entirely certain this exists, but I'll leave that for another thread) that don't get labelled. It may have something to do with persistence...]

Well, this time it appears to have been Saint_Proverbius who did it after I made one single comment in the Lost thread that wasn't even argumentative but just indicating that I thought it was kind of a waste of time to discuss them. (It really is, those numbers don't need to mean ANYTHING outside of the Lost universe. Trying to find math formulae and shit is pointless when it could be the shoe sizes of the people on the plane or something. Great show, but I doubt the numbers have any real world meaning for us to find.)

While there may not be an exact "Codex Opinion" there is a general consensus on many things, like the need for "roleplaying" in RPGs even though there are several different answers as to what roleplaying is. You do all agree that Fallout and Arcanum have "roleplaying" though, it's practically fucking Canon around here.

But this thing about dumbfuckery is interesting. I can honestly say that, for me, none of the most infuriatingly thick and annoying people on this board have the dumbfuck title. Some people who exist on this board purely to act thoroughly dumb and annoying , who surely deserve the title in spades, just do not, for some very odd reason, get stuck with the label.

So I'm not entirely certain it is about being dumb, but more about having an unpopular take on certain subject matter and sticking to it against all "reason" (those quote marks are quite purposeful).

That's what I said. :P

Or just being argumentative for the sake of it. But then people claim that is one of the good things about this forum, that you can do so (i.e. be argumentative) without being censured.
*Ahem*

[Then again, it took ages for Volly to get his, and that was merely for being a dick and after years of being pointlessly argumentative too. So I don't think there is much consistency in the way they are handed out...]

There's a difference between being argumentative and being pointlessly argumentative.

Deathy

Liturgist
In theory, the dumbfuck title is supposed to indicate someone with an opinion you can safely ignore. It is reserved for spammers, russians, idiots and pointlessly argumentative twats.

In practice, dumbfuckery works like this:

You've annoyed someone with forum admin privledges. In many other forums, you'd be banned. We don't generally do that here, so the annoyed admin, feeling some need to lash out at you with his godlike forum admin powers gives you the dumbfuck title.

If you ask me, it's far superior to the 'OMG UR BAND' and 'HAHA I EDITED UR POSTS, U SED U SUCK UR MOMS DICK' forms of forum admin power abuse.

As to why some of the most idiotic forum members haven't been dumbfuckerized, it's mainly because they haven't pissed a forum admin off enough.

Want to be a dumbfuck? TRY HARDER DAMNIT!*

but not too hard

LlamaGod

Cipher
I dont think Cavey deserves a Dumbfuck, but I think he should get a "Special" title.

He's not blindingly retarded and angry like most Dumbfucked, but he isnt exactly a shining beacon of intelligence.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Sarvis said:
Shagnak said:
So I'm not entirely certain it is about being dumb, but more about having an unpopular take on certain subject matter and sticking to it against all "reason" (those quote marks are quite purposeful).

That's what I said. :P

Well, not quite. I emphasized the "sticking to it against all reason" part, err, for a reason :P

The reason why I don't think that there is quite a "codex opinion" is that, well, I consider myself a codexer, but I sure as hell have different opinions on a hell of a lot of things that certain staff members hold true. There are other codexers that do also. You're a codexer are you not?
Some people agree more with certain other people. Some people don't.
I think the difference is, I'm willing to accept that I think differently (hence my sig), and not keep on arguing for too long, whereas you hold onto an argument like a starved terrier on a dying bum's leg :lol:

There's a difference between being argumentative and being pointlessly argumentative.
That is correct.
Sometimes it gets hard to tell the difference though. You do have a habit of continuing on until no-one knows what theyre arguing about anymore :lol:

So really, what it boils down to is, as Deathy and RGE said, whether you piss someone with "the power" off or not.
In that, I do not think that it has anything to do with really being a thicky. If so, why the fuck has Roqua not been labelled yet? It may be because he is not here enough to piss off someone with authority (though I find it hard to believe that he has not); it may be that his knee-jerk expletive-laden posts are occasionally genuinely amusing.
Volourn was arguing about anything and everything well before you turned up, Sarvis. But he never got labelled until he was so incredibly insistent on being retarded that it went beyond the bounds of ridiculous.
You are certainly seem more intelligent than both of the aforementioned individuals. I can only assume, therefore, that the label is rather arbitrary, in the sense that it relies on opportunity and whim rather any considered judgement.

There is an unfortunate roll-on effect of the label that I do not like. Occasionally when you do make a good point it gets criticised, when someone without the label making the same point would not have.
People should also realise that picking on such an obvious target (i.e. the aforementioned label) in an argument does not take much wit.

So. Enough rambling.
It is my considered opinion that you, Sarvis, sometimes do not know when to stop arguing. However, it is also my opinion that you deserve the "dumbfuck" label way way way less than certain other individuals.

But anyway, who gives a fuck what I think?

bryce777

Erudite
Shagnak said:
Sarvis said:

Are there any dumbfucks around who can show that they received their badge despite being popular with the other posters?

So I'm not entirely certain it is about being dumb, but more about having an unpopular take on certain subject matter and sticking to it against all "reason" (those quote marks are quite purposeful). Or just being argumentative for the sake of it. But then people claim that is one of the good things about this forum, that you can do so (i.e. be argumentative) without being censured.
*Ahem*

"sticking to it against all "reason" (those quote marks are quite purposeful). Or just being argumentative for the sake of it. "

I think this is pretty much it. About everyone I can think of who has it meets that criteria - they will pretty much never let someone get the last post, or change their opinion a hair's breadth no matter how silly or easily debunked it is.

Now I am curious who you think is a dumbfuck, shaggy!

Sarvis

Erudite
Shagnak said:
whereas you hold onto an argument like a starved terrier on a dying bum's leg :lol:

But then what about someone like DarkUnderlord, who keeps bringing up the argument for weeks in unrelated posts? But he has the same opinion, more or less, as you guys so he gets to remain unlabeled despite arguing some things that are pretty clearly insane.

Any minute now he'll pop in and make some stupid comment about throwing rats, just wait.

(Of course, now he probably won't since I said that...)

Sometimes it gets hard to tell the difference though. You do have a habit of continuing on until no-one knows what theyre arguing about anymore :lol:

How is it my fault people can't follow a thread? :P

Calis

Pensionado
I agree that Sarvis doesn't deserve the "dumbfuck" title though. His "I'm just arguing because I'm bored at work, I don't WANT to dig up my so-called winning arguments" make him a prime candidate for a new rank: instead of "dumbfuck", I propose we label him "douchebag". :D
Then again, I could do without the forum labels altogether, but as some of you may have noticed, I don't actually put the kind of work into the forum that would justify me concerning myself with forum policies and I consider these ranks to be well without my sphere-of-meddling.

Oh, and DarkUnderlord gets away with stuff because he is on staff and put a buncha work into the site.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom