Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

why do some people have their rating dumbfuck?

Sarvis

Erudite
Meh. I just wondered what it would be like to dumb myself down to your levels for a day.

By the way, way to drag an old argument back up and prove my point.

I'm well past that little argument, but you guys still feel the need to bring it up and bitch pointlessly and against all reason.

Calis

Pensionado
Well, if we're talking about forum ranks assigned based on past discussions, dragging up past discussions seems pretty relevant to me.

Sarvis

Erudite
Calis said:
Well, if we're talking about forum ranks assigned based on past discussions, dragging up past discussions seems pretty relevant to me.

And I was assigned this ranking after that discussion?

No?

Didn't think so.

Calis

Pensionado
It seems to be symptomatic at any rate. Like I said, I don't really meddle with rank-assigning and don't really care enough to find out the exact cause for the rank (and could do without any forum ranks at all), but I imagine these things get assigned for certain kinds of continued behaviour (though the criteria for determining what behaviour makes you deserve it are somewhat arbitrary, I agree). Hence, citing a recent example of said behaviour still looks pretty relevant to me.

DarkSign

Erudite
Perhaps not. Perhaps so. I dont see you offering concrete evidence of how and why it was applied.

No matter the answer to that question, you continue to have the rating because of your actions...as illustrated in past posts. If you cant be judged by your past track-record then what are we to go by? Each indiviudual post?

Even if we did that you'd still have the rating.

Pwndthxkkbye.

Sarvis

Erudite
See, there's a couple problems with this though.

1) The argument you just brought up is NOT typical of how I argue.

2) My behavior has been fairly consistent over my time at this site, yet at one point my original dumbfuck tag was <i>removed</i>.

Calis

Pensionado
Sarvis said:
Beg to differ on that. Alluding to supposed winning arguments that you have made in the past and then refusing to even give the general gist of it is somewhat typical, judging from what I've read since you've been here. Still no idea whether or not that would be a main reason for your rank there, but it still seems symptomatic to me.

Drakron

Arcane
Sarvis arguments can be reduced to "I am right, you are wrong" depite taking 3-4 pages long.

In truth I did not knew why he got that title until we got in argument over a certain RPG mechanics elements (Sarvis idea of what RPG is can be hilarious but not worth of the title alone) over a hypothetical situations that could be reduced to Sarvis saying "I am right".

Sarvis

Erudite
Calis said:
Sarvis said:
Beg to differ on that. Alluding to supposed winning arguments

I never said they were winning arguments. You people absolutely refuse to lose, so there couldn't really be many now could there?

that you have made in the past and then refusing to even give the general gist of it is somewhat typical,

How do you figure? Try reading shit again, because I always have shit to back up my posts and have often linked to external sites and other pieces of evidence when useful.

Oh, and I finally went back and looked up where I posted definitions:

Sarvis said:
First I'm going to post several definitions of the CRPG genre I just searched out on the web:

Role Playing
Games in which players create or take on a character represented by various statistics, which may even include a developed persona. The character?s description may include specifics such as species, race, gender, and occupation, and may also include various abilities, such as strength and dexterity, to limited degrees usually represented numerically. The games can be single?player, such as Ultima III: Exodus (1983), or multiple?player games such as those which are networked. This term should not be used for games like Adventure or Raiders of the Lost Ark in which identity is not emphasized or important, nor where characters are not represented statistically. - http://www.robinlionheart.com/gamedev/genres.xhtml

Computer role-playing games (CRPGs or simply RPGs) place the player in a fantasy or science fiction setting. Most of these games are similar to traditional role-playing games played with pencil and paper (notably D&D) except, in this case, the computer takes care of all the record keeping and nondeterministic elements such as die rolling. Most of these games have the player acting in the role of an "adventurer" who specializes in a certain set of skills (such as combat or casting magic spells). These skill sets are normally called "classes" and players can normally control one or more of these characters. Since the emergence of affordable home computers coincided with the popularity of pencil and paper role-playing games, this genre was one of the first in video games and continues to be popular today. Though nearly all of the early entries in the genre were turn-based games, modern CRPGs have introduced a real-time aspect, thanks largely to the success of Diablo and similarly designed games. Thus, the CRPG genre has folllowed the strategy game's trend of moving from turn-based to real-time combat. - http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.c ... me%20genre

RPG
Roleplaying Game. A game that is usually based on controlling one or more characters to finish some large and more minor quests while fighting and gaining experience points. - http://www.gamedev.net/dict/search.asp?Term=RPG

In fact, the only one I found who comes close to the definitions found around here is this guy: http://www.ringsurf.com/info/Entertainm ... enres.html

And he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about since he uses Final Fantasy games as examples of what you guys are saying!

For dojoteef here's some Adventure definitions from the same sites:

Adventure
Games which are set in a ?world? usually made up of multiple, connected rooms or screens, involving an objective which is more complex than simply catching, shooting, capturing, or escaping, although completion of the objective may involve several or all of these. Objectives usually must be completed in several steps, for example, finding keys and unlocking doors to other areas to retrieve objects needed elsewhere in the game. Characters are usually able to carry objects, such as weapons, keys, tools, and so on. Settings often evoke a particular historical time period and place, such as the middle ages or Arthurian England, or are thematically related to content?based genres such as Science Fiction, Fantasy, or Espionage. This term should not be used for games in which screens are only encountered in one?way linear fashion, like the ?levels? in Donkey Kong, or for games like Pitfall! which are essentially limited to running, jumping, and avoiding dangers (see Obstacle Course). Nor should the term be used to refer to games like Dragon?s Lair, Gadget, or Star Trek: Borg, which do not allow a player to wander and explore its ?world? freely, but strictly limit outcomes and possible narrative paths to a series of video sequences and linear progression through a predetermined narrative (see Interactive Movies). - http://www.robinlionheart.com/gamedev/g ... #adventure

In the terminology of console video games adventure, games are games which involve exploration of, and interaction with, the environment as a main facet of gameplay. - http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.c ... me%20genre

Adventure Game
A genre of games that typically are graphics, character and story based. The player usually has to solve a series of puzzles while being given a deep story. Examples of this genre would be many of the LucasArts such as Grim Fandango, the Monkey Island series, and many of the Quest series from Sierra Online. - http://www.gamedev.net/dict/search.asp?Term=Adventure

while you could make a case for FFX being an Adventure title under the first definition, it would be much harder to do so with the other two. Though you might be able to make a case for Arcanum to be an Adventure title under the third... heh.

Ok, now I'm going to try another tack... one which I wish I had thought of a while ago! Stay tuned...
- http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... &start=100

In an amazing coincidence, it is the thread where I DID post information, links and evidence that got me the dumbfuck tag the first time!

So yeah, the argument you brought up WAS atypical for me.

I guess if I always refused to back up my arguments maybe I wouldn't be a dumbfuck...

judging from what I've read since you've been here. Still no idea whether or not that would be a main reason for your rank there, but it still seems symptomatic to me.

And even if this were indicative of my normal behavior how do you deal with the fact that the tag was removed once?

Oh right, you didn't.

Drakron

Arcane
Let me see ... you bothered to go dig up the original tread to quote it and then just state you added the "winning argument reply" someplace and yet you add no links to either the original tread or the place were the "winning argument"?

Anyone suprised?

Sarvis

Erudite
Drakron said:
Let me see ... you bothered to go dig up the original tread to quote it and then just state you added the "winning argument reply" someplace and yet you add no links to either the original tread or the place were the "winning argument"?

Anyone suprised?

1) I didn't say that argument won, I said it earned me the dumbfuck tag.
2) The link is at the bottom of the quote dumbass.

Thanks for proving people who actually deserve to be called dumbfuck don't have the tag though!

Drakron

Arcane
I read, Rex was the one that give you the title after this comment:

Sarvis said:
Oyarsa said:
Aye, but a name must signify some quality or set of qualities (in the very least an expression of hope or intent as to the possession of those) or else it is rendered meaningless in terms of language and effective human communication.

Using your name as an example, there are multiple reasons it may have been chosen, some of them more informed that others. Perhaps it was a random draw or your parents just liked the sound of it. Maybe it was connected, in their minds, with someone whom they wished to honor or hoped you'd be like, a relative or celebrity. Or, perhaps, they looked up the meaning and thought, gee, it would be nice if our child would exhibit strength and faithfulness (and maybe sprout wings). However only the last one actually takes a definition into account whereas all else ignores or, worse, dilutes the meaning.

If the name is Computer Role Playing Game, then it ought to be reasonable to deduce that:
1) A computer is involved
2) Role Playing is attempted
3) It is a reacreational/educational activity

Add to this the pre-existence of RPG, or Role Playing Game, as a name in its own right, which conveys added meaning:
4) Bearing resemblence in form and/or function to (the pre-existing) PnP RPGs

Now one can argue from history and perhaps personal experience that roguelikes, et al. simulated the hack-n-slash nature of DnD, which is, good or bad, nearly ubiquitous with PnP RPGs. But that assumes certain things I will let others bandy about if they like. Frankly, my expectations when I was a 12yr old RPGer were different (and anemic) from what they are now as a 35yr old, and I am disinclined to let 12yr olds be the arbiters because we would never progress anywhere.

Now one of the definitions you give cites only fantasy (needs a rather robust definition itself) and sci-fi (ditto) as settings for RPGs, however that ignores an enormous weight of evidence to the contrary - Twilight2000, Boothill, a number of generic gaming systems, etc. so that's just silly. Yet it reinforces the idea of the need for a definition to signify something based on reason and knowledge.

By your logic an Apache web server should be a Native American sitting in a bar handing out spiderwebs to everyone. Spiderweb software should be something that comes out of a spider's ass. Anyone who played Fallout should have become a horrible mutant... hrm... maybe they did? ;)

The question is if the term used to describe Arcanum, Wizardry, Final Fantasy had been Torneggers would you still be trying to assign standards of roleplaying to them?

If not, then why are you trying to assign those standards to the same group of games just because they have the name CRPGs?

Saint_Proverbius said:
Sarvis said:
By your logic an Apache web server should be a Native American sitting in a bar handing out spiderwebs to everyone. Spiderweb software should be something that comes out of a spider's ass. Anyone who played Fallout should have become a horrible mutant... hrm... maybe they did? ;)

We really need a rank lower than illiterate.

The sad thing is it started with the whole Console RPGs vs PC RPGs were you actually had a point, both are RPGs and you could even demonstrate by saying FF was quite hard in the start of the series but the RPG elements are unfortunatly only used in combat that is tradictional in console RPGs.

But the title come from a long line of replies you done.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
They get the title because they are Dumbfucks. Besides, it's a Badge of Honour that I proudly had to work my ass off to get. Hardest job I ever had was earning the Dumbfuck which as far as I'm concerned is the Codex Seal of Approval. Afterall, being called a Dumbfuck by a bunch of stalkers and harassers is a-ok in my book.

Calis

Pensionado
I'm still extremely curious as to who's stalking you (and why they don't have anything better to do).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Who said 'they' were staling me?

I'd welcome a stalker, and have a few. I find it cool.

The stalkers - and, they know who they are - are stalking nad harassing an innocent, and I'm no innocent bub.

Though, they seem to have stopped for a bit. Probably taking a breather after all that hard work.

If they weren't so cowatrdly, I'd dare them to stalk me. But, they won't. As they are cowards.

Calis

Pensionado
I'm puzzled. Who's getting stalked by who? I still don't get it.

Quigs

Magister
He's right. you write way too much.

Quite simply, you are a

walken-continental.jpg

How do you say... Douchebag.

Calis

Pensionado
Damn, and I thought I was so close to getting a straight answer. So close!

Drakron

Arcane
Calis said:
Damn, and I thought I was so close to getting a straight answer. So close!

A clue:

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

One Wolf

Scholar
i get the distinct impression vol doesn't deal in straight answers. i'm not really sure what he deals in, but it isn't straight, whatever it is.

and caveyboy definitely needs a "special" rank, since, after all, its comin for him. just a matter of time.

maybe this should be put to a vote? not that this is democracy or anything.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Calis said:
Oh, and DarkUnderlord gets away with stuff because he is on staff and put a buncha work into the site.
I am? I did?

Sarvis said:
Oh, and I finally went back and looked up where I posted definitions:
Several months later and in the wrong thread... Hence, dumbfuck.

Avé

Liturgist
Sarvis is no more a dumbfuck than any of the argumentative idiots around here(myself included).

He just got the tag because he isnt bosom buddies with any of the admins.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom