Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Why do YOU hate Baldur's Gate 3?

Why do YOU hate Baldur's Gate 3

• It looks like a D:OS 2 mod

Votes: 234 63.2%
  • It bears no resemblance to the original series

Votes: 201 54.3%
  • TB combat (fags vote here)

Votes: 50 13.5%
  • Dumb dialogue

Votes: 176 47.6%
  • Ugly waifus

Votes: 106 28.6%
  • Corridor maps

Votes: 92 24.9%
  • Ugly aesthetic

Votes: 135 36.5%
  • I hate belgians

Votes: 91 24.6%
  • other (please specify)

Votes: 50 13.5%

• Total voters

Gastrick

Cipher
No hate, I am happy actually with the sorry way it turned out. There needs a new game to fill the 5 year drought from Fallout 4 and hopefully the full version makes the cut. Still, fuck Larian and fuck this game.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I feel that too many people are expecting this to be the same tier as Baldur's Gate I & II,
you can't forget this is an attempt by a different studio to make a sequel to a classic series two decades after,
if your expecting the exact same quality or better I don't know what to say,
I haven't played it because I never buy games in early access, but I am looking at peoples reviews,
all I can say is don't judge a book by it's draft.

I feel that too many people are expecting something called BG3 to have anything to do with BG1 & 2.
It's like another car company making a classic 4x4 20 years later and expecting it to dirve over your lawn.
If you're expecting that 4x4 to actually go into the forest, or over the sand at the beach; I don't know what to say.
I haven't driven this 4x4 yet, but looking at the reviews from other people that have, all I can say is: try and drive it up a mountain.

:troll:Just taking the opportunity to banter a bit. I haven't even followed this game myself and don't know anything at all about it. Just keep checking these threads for the odd bit of info here and there. I'm sure Lilura will write a review when it comes out, or if she tries the alpha. :lol:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Just taking the opportunity to banter a bit. I haven't even followed this game myself and don't know anything at all about it. Just keep checking these threads for the odd bit of info here and there. I'm sure Lilura will write a review when it comes out, or if she tries the alpha.
She's already said that she's willing to sell her integrity for bg3 and is already doing some stuff for it. For a real blog, with real passion and integrity, I'll be releasing one soon.

Aphex81

Scholar
DnD will cause the second death of the crpg genre. None of the games sell even remotely enough to justify more iterations. Just look at your latest nostalhgia wankfest called Black Geyser. It doesn't even manage to sell 1000 copies. Larian was the only company that even attempted to bring the genre into the 21st century and now wotk got their estrogen injected claws into them to bring them down with their cancerous dnd garbage.

somerandomdude

Learned
If they called it Divinity: Original Sin 3, and not Baldur's Gate 3, I'd take less of an issue with it. It doesn't mean I'd play it.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I don't hate it, but I'm not buying it until it is deeply discounted. I just can't play this game with this cover. It's terrible.

BG3_KeyArt-scaled.png

Because my level 1 fighter starts in an ilithid ship chased by dragon riders, crashes the ship and survives. That's not Baldur's Gate.

Baldur's Gate is getting into a fight with my lvl 1 fighter and 2 xvarts and having my shit pushed in. My problem is pacing, when I think Baldur's Gate I imagine a slow start and getting into a frenzy by the end game in a race for my soul.

If you're throwing dragons and mind flayers at level 1 just to keep me interested then I'm going to be bored in the next 30 minutes if suddenly I have to kill rats and act like a courier.

CHIN00K

Novice
There doesn't seem to be any attempt at stylization aside from "high-detail realism" which isn't quite high-detail enough so that almost every character ends up sitting at the peak of the uncanny valley. The aesthetic also clashes with the gameplay because your characters will have these goofy exaggerated cartoon animations for jumping and stuff, while looking like creepy and eerily realistic puppets.

Also the voiced narrator is cringe .

Monocause

Arcane
Because my level 1 fighter starts in an ilithid ship chased by dragon riders, crashes the ship and survives. That's not Baldur's Gate.

Baldur's Gate is getting into a fight with my lvl 1 fighter and 2 xvarts and having my shit pushed in. My problem is pacing, when I think Baldur's Gate I imagine a slow start and getting into a frenzy by the end game in a race for my soul.

If you're throwing dragons and mind flayers at level 1 just to keep me interested then I'm going to be bored in the next 30 minutes if suddenly I have to kill rats and act like a courier.

I never played BG3 but it seems to me that the intro sequence is much akin to you encountering Sarevok and his entourage early in BG1, or being imprisoned by Irenicus in BG2. You start off hopelessly outmatched and are subject to the whim of beings that are completely out of your league. There's dragons, mind flayers and demons duking it out and you and a bunch of others are like confused bugs trying to scurry to safety among all the madness. And the only reason you survive is that you're beneath their notice or someone intervened and bought you time to escape. But in all three games you start out as a pushover and claw your way up to the point where you can stand up to whatever abused you in the beginning.

In general I think you misremember BG1. That game starts with you and Gorion being ambushed by Sarevok accompanied by a bunch of powerful guys and some ogres. They engage in a fight where you are completely unable to contribute and Gorion sacrifices himself so that you can run away. And yeah, after that it's you and the xvarts, but from what I've seen from BG3 gameplay, out there it's you and low level bandits and wolves. And xvarts are also a huge "downgrade" from ogres and snazzy spellcaster combat you see right before Gorion dies. I don't think there's a significant qualitative difference here: can't see how Sarevok's bunch is okay but mind flayers instill crack cocaine-like brain numbness where you need more mind flayers, dragons and other epic creatures or you just lose interest.

EDIT: I think what you said makes sense in the context of fe. Fallout 4, where within the first 30 minutes of the game you get into a suit of power armor, pick up a minigun and gun down a huge deathclaw. Design-wise that was a huge WTF and I can't see any reason why they've done that there apart from generating a cool setpiece for E3 or something. But I really don't think BG3 has a similar problem. You don't get an awesome button to press there that would down a dragon, you stick to the sidelines and generally know you'd get butchered in a few seconds if you tried anything stupid.

Last edited:

Glop_dweller

Prophet

Why do YOU hate Baldur's Gate 3?​

Simply put, it's for the same reasons as not liking FO3; FO3 is Fallout in name only... FO4 isn't even enough of FO3 but in name only.
Larian made whatever the hell they wanted, just like Bethesda did. There is absolutely no building upon the foundations of these games in their sequels. They each go the opposite path in search of new players with new bait, rather than be intent on at least pleasing the series players who rightfully expect something more or less akin to the previous gameplay from a numbered sequel.

As an abstract mock-up, IE. not a 1:1 depiction of precisely what is wanted; just a close visual aid...
If BG3 had looked and played similar to the example below, it would not have caused so many initial red flags for me. Though the writing might have done so later on.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Haven't been following the EA build or development/news of BG3 but when I saw something that seemed to suggest that they're using fixed zoomed in camera for dialogue (and possibly cut scenes?) it reminded me of NWN2, and that was the one thing I most hated about NWN2.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I hate it because it is turn based and not a first person shooter like Fallout 3.

I am joking. He real reason are the ugly waifus

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Not the same. You never fight Sarevok at the start. He never actually threatens or attacks you. In the prologue, you fight two weak ass assasins, rats, and fake fight a teacher. No flayers, no, dragons, nothing Uber. Sarevok's appearance is a teaser to wet your curiosity more about why you are a target of assassination.

BG1 should be easy to beat. It was made by literal rookies unlike BG3. FFS Larian is zo lazy they stuck with 4 character party because they couldn't be bother to do any work on the DOS engine to make 6 characters possible. There us no excuse that makes that a reasonable design decision. The npcs are all walking nonsense. Most of the npcs in BG1 or BG2 are as normal as one can be. That is why Viconia stood out. She was a drow. Sure, BIO could have done more with her being a drow on the surface, but it is something.

The game may be playable or even fun but it likely will fail to the BG name. It'll make tons of money. I don't get it. Larian clearly hates the BG series, and they don't need its name to sell copies... so why not just make their own D&D title? Laziness, arrogsnce ignorance, and hatred. That is why.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom