Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why does everyone hate morrowind?

Do you like morrowind?

• Yes

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters

vej-manden

Novice
I'm retarded/a TES forum member. Please make me understand why everyone here hates Morrowind so much. I liked it.
That game is the reason i'm going to buy Oblivion. I don't care how many things they've added, taken out, dumbed down or dumbed up, or how good the (p)reviews are. Or what the devs tell us or how good the screenshots/trailers look.
I've spend 5 minutes of my life on this forum and it seems that all the members ever does is bashing a game they haven't played.

Excuse my crappy english. :?

Spazmo

Erudite
Masking your new Oblivion topic behind a Morrowind topic would be a crafty trick if Morrowind hadn't already been discussed to death as well.

To answer your question, I hate Morrowind because I hate you.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Spazmo said:
To answer your question, I hate Morrowind because I hate you.

I once owned a dog that was smarter than you! :P

Ah fond memories...

And to to the OP ... dont dismiss the views of Morrowind here as ignorance, most people have played it, and dont like it for fairly specific reasons, even if I dont agree with all of them.

Micmu

Magister
Here's a quick list what I didn't like in Morrowind:
- NO DIALOGUE (just browsable topic database),
- poor class/stat implementation, powergaming oriented, unbalanced, levelling way too fast and linear, skills horribly implemented (speechcraft? alchemy? hand2hand?...etc).
- enchanting (even for barbarians) that rendered mage skills useless,
- boring mini "dungeons",
- poor NPC/creature AI (NPCs getting stuck, spellcasting NPCs were as dangerous as a dead rat),
- no challenge in combat (creatures & other NPCs are whimps and you are the God). You are never "afraid for your life" (like in, say, Gothic).
- boring, lifeless static NPCs,
- all guilds and main plot linear as equator (Start->A->B->C->Ending),
- FedEx quests: go to X and bring me Y. Or go to X and kill Y. Yes, also no plot twists, etc.
- no real benefits being a guild member (or head),
- your actions didn't mean shit (world around you didn't react in any other whay than OMG "Disposition" change). Even if you killed their gods.
- dumb down of TES II: Daggerfall
- periodical crashes to desktop,
Can't remember more right now.

Comparing to other RPGs out there, it is a... rather poor RPG, in my opinion. Might be a good adventuring/exploration/sandbox game, but as a RPG, I sure didn't like it very much. Hate is a too strong word. At least they included CS, so I had a little fun with that... Until BUGS and debugless scripting made me uninstall the game for good.

Balor

Arcane
Well, most (at least, most vocal) people here hated Morrowind for one, (but it's multi-fold) reason:
It was way, way, way worse then Daggerfall (even with all of it's bugs.. and not that Morrowind was bugless and stable, mwahahaha!).
How worse then Daggefall it is - naming it all will take a few pages of written text, and since I'll get bored halfway of it, I'll not even try.
Btw, I kinda liked Morrowind, but in a highly masochistic way - I liked to mod it, and test out mods, but rarely actually played it, and never really participated in the main plot.
Why masochistic? Cause MW CS is a buggy, undocumented piece of shit that was, indeed, enough for Bethesda to make MW, but not enough, w/o straining so hard that your arse rips, to make something better.
It turned out that there are quite a bit of those masochists that proclaimed themselves modders and churned out lots of mods that maked game somewhat enjoyable even for that that detested it at first, and, undoubtedly, it help with sales a lot...

Btw, Bethesda gives them enough respect and notice those pervs deserve - means, not at all. (I'm talking about all the news about Oblivion CS).

Serves them right, I guess. After all, if modding will be made too easy, they'll make all their mods they want, and get bored... but with a buggy, limited CS they'll have YEARS of joyful, masochistic experience of being raped in all orifices, both natural and unnatural, with Oblivion CS.

I can all but thank Bethesda for understanding our deepest desires and making them reality.

Balor

Arcane
Hmm... while I kinda like what you've just said, it's not exactly true.

You may like Morrowind, but you may not call yourself an RPG fan because of that.

I, however, also like a lot of other games of different genres, not only roleplaying.
On the other hand, Morrowind was kinda too boring (w/o mods, at least) even for my 'broad' tastes.

Zomg

Arbiter
The dialog complaints are overwrought, but there's no question the balance was shitty, the economy was incredibly brittle, the combat was fundamentally boring, the levelling system was irritating, it was riddled with simple exploits, the world was extremely inert on an explicit level, and the entire game had a generic construction set feel, particularly the magic. It was also basically a step backward philosophically from Daggerfall's procedural content - Bethesda switched to a production value development model instead. It also had a lot of intrusive technical and performance problems.

I still liked it.

Proweler

Scholar
I liked the game. Dunno why. Bought it because a review said something about hand placed objects so I figured they put a lot of care in to their game.

Wiki conversations didn't bother me. I loved the ability to create your own class. I'm not a powergamer by nature so I kinda ignored all the stuff that had to do whit stats. Speechcraft did it's trick for me just fine, enchanting was nice aswell. I didn't have perfect character either so game provided a constant challenge. I thought the plot was cool, the whole "you might be this and that but we don't really know for sure" thing spiced it up bit.

In hind sigh it's just one of those games that horribly sucks unless you get soaked up in the world and forget about everything around you. It's something an Isometric view doesn't allow.

Zomg said:
I still liked it.

That's the amazing bit.

Balor said:
I still liked it.
I guess it shows that such perversion as masochism is indeed rife nowadays :).

Shut down your brain and enjoy the ride, Balor.

Proweler

Scholar
Tintin said:
I'm not a powergamer by nature so I kinda ignored all the stuff that had to do whit stats.

Uh-oh, I sense an onslaught coming.

Inoring all the stuff that had to do whit stats as in: "Not reading the rule book and play by common sense". Gets you closer to you character then anything else.

Section8

Cipher
I don't hate Morrowind, in fact, I've probably installed it onto my system more times than any other game. Mind you, that's only because it gets uninstalled just as often.

I find that the exploration and loot, along with trying out quest lines I've never attempted before is enough to keep me going for a while, and each time I play with the intent of making it through the main plot, but I still get sick of the experience before that happens.

Aside from those elements, the gameplay is utterly boring. Combat is less interactive than Diablo 2, Magery is clumsy, thieving is without any significant challenge, the peripheral skills, like enchanting or alchemy only have a very limited appeal before they become strictly utilitarian, the social elements are beyond weak, and most of all it's almost entirely lacking in RPing elements.

I certainly don't hate Morrowind, but I think it deserves more criticism than compliments. It also disappoint me personally, because I think the "freeform RPG sandbox" has an incredible amount of potential, and the only aspects that Morrowind got right, are the parts that are impossible to get wrong.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Morrowind is lifeless and boring. To me the biggest roleplaying element in the game is that you can play dress up.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
No dialogs + npc without any personality >>> game sucks, despite all advantages
:x

geminito

Liturgist
The problem isn't that people at RPG Codex hate Morrowind, they hate everything that isn't Fallout 1 or Fallout 2 (in that order). Oh yeah, and Planescape: Torment. All fairly linear games, especially PS:T. Codexers also like KOTOR, which is an extremely linear adventure game without any room for role-playing your character beyond saying "I am good" or "I am evil" and wielding a red lightsaber or blue lightsaber.

The arguments that Morrowind is not an RPG are complete Codex ass-wind. Morrowind is the only game where I actually role-played my characters. It's the only RPG that was open enough for you to be able to use your imagination and play your character according to your own ideas.

Even Fallout wasn't open enough for that. The Fallout Bible cites the dev's disappointment with the "carrot-on-a-stick" effect they injected into the game. If you didn't follow the main quest line (were they any others??), you were left to kills mobs pointlessly. Not much room for teh roal-palying.

Morrowind is an RPG sandbox, and that's why it was great, imho.

Balor

Arcane
*rofls*
geminito, you are so full of shit!

If you didn't follow the main quest line (were they any others??), you were left to kills mobs pointlessly.
Sig material!
RPG sandbox!
Thank you sir, we grew out of sandbox.

Balor

Arcane
This just in: Fallout more linear than Morrowind. The universe implodes.
No, it's just head of geminito, due to utter vacuum in place of brains there :).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom