Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why Does The Codex Download Shit Onto My PC?

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Whenever I login, I get a file automatically download onto my PC. I just deleted it, but I'll get the filename next time.

This is some kind of ransomeware from the Codex right?. Just to let anyone know in advance, I don't have any money and I'd rather go to jail as a Nazi than pay anything ever.

-With inflation hitting the world and especially prices in the UK you might even be doing me a favour. In fact, knowing the British government, they'll start emptying the jails.

Melcar

Arcane
I happened to me a few times yesterday. I assumed it was just some bullshit that when wrong with by browser.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
I like to imagine that Infinitron is running a bitcoin mining operation on our computers.

He's the finest newsman I've known, he deserves it. And deleting those files is anti-semitic!

Semiurge

Cipher
Whenever I login, I get a file automatically download onto my PC. I just deleted it, but I'll get the filename next time.

This is some kind of ransomeware from the Codex right?. Just to let anyone know in advance, I don't have any money and I'd rather go to jail as a Nazi than pay anything ever.

-With inflation hitting the world and especially prices in the UK you might even be doing me a favour. In fact, knowing the British government, they'll start emptying the jails.

How did you notice this file?

Chippy

Arcane
Patron

How did you notice this file?

It just downloaded in Forefox. Came up on the toolbar for a few seconds. Didn't happen today (yes I know I just lost all credibility) but I will get evidence if possible.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
#metoo
I always cancel the downloads. Does happen with Firefox, not with Chrome...
thinking.png

Semiurge

Cipher
What the hell is going on Taluntain. There's so many blacklisted domains here such as "extreme.dm" that it doesn't exactly inspire trust in Codex. Where does this file come from? I've never seen this happen with Firefox, not desktop or mobile but then I block all unnecessary scripts and tracking cookies.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
"Blacklisted"? By whom exactly? Some overzealous niche ad blocking addon that blocks every domain that tracks anything, even valid ones such as those we use for GOG affiliation and site statistics?

That's really an issue with the ad blocking addons you're using, not anything to do with the Codex. If you block everything left and right, naturally you'll block legit content as well because the autists throwing together lists of dozens of thousands of domain to block for addons like uBlock don't really care whether any tracking is legitimate or not.

Contrary to paranoiacs' beliefs, cookies and various scripts aren't only used for nefarious purposes, but also for basic website and forum functions, which you break if you block them all. Unfortunately, we can't protect people too smart for their own good from themselves.

As for the OP's issue, I have yet to receive a single report that I can actually investigate.

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Yes, on Firefox, it downloads some gibberish Firefox .htm file (0 bytes) from time to time. I think I don't need to log in, just go to rpgcodex.net* and they download. I wouldn't even notice it if it weren't for Firefox' download pop-up. The first one in the image is the one it just downloaded a few minutes ago, the others are from yesterday. I'm testing uBlock now and it seems to happen, too, so I don't know if there's a relationship (I thought there might be one.)

*edit: actually, the forum, not the main page, I think, but I need to try it a few times more to be sure.

Attachments

• rpg codex empty files.jpg
    rpg codex empty files.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher
Why would you even have any kind of tracking permitted unless it's explicitly needed by the site, or more importantly, you?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
FWIW, I will confirm what Naveen said. On Firefox Nightly with uBlock Origin installed, the empty file is downloaded whenever you navigate to the forum from the main site, but not when you go to the forum directly via URL.

I am on my phone right now and will test with disabled/other addons when I get the chance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom