Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why don't we get more games that look this good?

DraQ

Arcane
Rasputin said:
PLZZ POST MOAR 2D>

No but really if this is not too much to ask post some other 2D games.

Only just discovered Hammerfight and Gumboy. And The Whispered World looks promising and it seems it will come out in Q1 2010.
Psst!

Do you know of Cortex Command?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Re: Muramasa , the game that started this thread.

Played it for some time. Bosses were kinda good re variety, but the in-between really boring, the epitome of filler.
Good looks don't redeem that.

Ermm

Erudite
DraQ said:
Rasputin said:
PLZZ POST MOAR 2D>

No but really if this is not too much to ask post some other 2D games.

Only just discovered Hammerfight and Gumboy. And The Whispered World looks promising and it seems it will come out in Q1 2010.
Psst!

Do you know of Cortex Command?

Looks pretty interesting. Seems like they are still working for it.

Somehow 2D in Rayman was good and I think it is one of the best ones at that time and it still holds pretty good till this day in 2D department.

And How is this Muramasa game? From screens looks like made for Maple Story crowd but as I don't judge game for it's art so how is gameplay to get so much attention to it?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Monkey-Island-monkey-island-530473_640_400.jpg

Space%20Quest%205%20-%20Roger%20Wilco%20in%20The%20Next%20Mutation_8.png

Foto+Quest+for+Glory+IV:+Shadows+Of+Darkness.jpg

Yes, graphics were low res back then, but damn they had some great art design.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I've been lurking over this thread like a vulture for days now, and this screen still owns all others in my totally honest and not in the least abbreviated opinion :

machinarium_04_bigger.jpg

Even if it's one of them "thread breaking" pics.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Lonely Vazdru said:
I've been lurking over this thread like a vulture for days now, and this screen still owns all others in my totally honest and not in the least abbreviated opinion :

machinarium_04_bigger.jpg

Even if it's one of them "thread breaking" pics.

seriously, this beats the shit out of the anime in the op

luckyb0y

Scholar
Machinarium owns, but here's some more (Most not out yet though)

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet:

optjc9.jpg

2z7o5s2.jpg

ifudzm.jpg

Owlboy:

Owlboyscreen3.png

Owlboyscreen4.png

Owlboyscreen9.png

Feist:

03.png

13.png

04.png

Limbo:

screenshot.jpg

Cletus Clay:

4156297930_4151ffdfed_o.jpg

4156297820_4761e57d05_o.jpg

4155535777_9dfa104246_o.jpg

4156298020_98b6e32872_o.jpg

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Can't find examples though, looks better in motion.
Most of the graphics are static surroundings so that shouldn't be an issue even though there are some smokes, lights and tree branches moved by wind that add to overall atmosphere. I think the biggest problem is that the maximum official resolution is 1024x768 and most interesting objects are bigger than that so a single screenshot can't show them in full glory.

nulb.jpg

icewinda.jpg

scr00000.png

I wouldn't call Fallout graphics great overall but sometimes it owns. Nothing beats the wall of cars and corrugated iron surrounding Junktown. And of course the talking heads:

hubharold.png

Although they lose lot of their charm without being animated. Harold opening his right eye, Set moving the lower jaw to the right and left, characters becoming angry because of your words. Man, that was awesome.

tscreen.gif

945561072-00.gif
945561548-00.gif
1038007781-00.gif

Melcar

Arcane
MapMan said:

You know, that exact image is the one I remember most from that game. That level was simply eerie. Running around in an alien world at night under the light of some distant celestial body. Fucking awesome.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It seems quite silly to compare the primarily pre-rendered 3D art of, say, the IE games with "actual" 2D art. But since we're on the track anyway, here's another "2D" game: Riven, from 1997.

Riven_6.gif

main-riven.jpg

rivenVillage1600.jpg

riven001.jpg

Riven-prison.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom