Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why don't we get more games that look this good?

spekkio

Arcane
To attention-whore myself in the Oddworld field:

wiqyci.jpg

nlex77.jpg

Well, on PSX emulator with savegames, but still...

Deleted member 11480

riven-09.jpg

Riven was way ahead of its time.

Edit: holy shit Kaziklubey :lol:

Ermm

Erudite
We get better visual in almost every average Myst clone that in this ''Murasama'' or how it was called.
Maybe gameplay in most of these is bad but at least environments are nice for the eyes.

Melcar

Arcane
Yeah, Riven was awesome. Too bad my third disk was fuck up and had to return it to the store. They no longer had copies available (fuckers) so I got in-store credit and got FF7 and FreeSpace :) .

spekkio

Arcane
Rasputin said:
We get better visual in almost every average Myst clone that in this ''Murasama'' or how it was called.
Sure thing.
And what can you tell us about animation quality in average Myst clone? :smug:

Ermm

Erudite
spekkio said:
Rasputin said:
Sure thing.

Because even gameplay is bad at least they entertain us with good visuals. With nice music it really immerses you into the world

And it is not full with cheap anime style. I am not one of these who says that anime is bad but rarely it is filled with substance and without J-Pop and catgirls.

Melcar

Arcane
Rasputin said:
spekkio said:
Rasputin said:
Sure thing.

Because even gameplay is bad at least they entertain us with good visuals. With nice music it really immerses you into the world

You know, that's the exact same words next-gen kids use nowadays to defend their games.

spekkio

Arcane
Without J-Pop and catgirls.
And what's wrong with catgirls?
2cg0r29.jpg

But indeed - J-Pop should be banned and prosecuted with the same commitment as negationism, pedophilia and being emo.

Ermm

Erudite
Melcar said:
Rasputin said:
spekkio said:
Rasputin said:
Sure thing.

You know, that's the exact same words next-gen kids use nowadays to defend their games.

But you know it's Adventure game and it is task which needs to be done in these.

And we are talking about VISUALS with big V right now and I am saying that at least Myst clones has some substance in those.

spekkio

Arcane
Black Cat said:
98 out of 99? I bloody hate you, nya. I can't even find all the guys in the first level! Crying or Very sad
Use a walkthrough next time, woman. :smug:
With that you at least know how many guys should be rescued in each level.

Melcar

Arcane
Walkthroughs are for fags and women that like to be beaten. My best was 92 saved in my third playthrough. Fun game. The first time through the game I only managed to save 36.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
spekkio said:
myst's low framecount pre-rendered sequences are pretty much on par with the cheap transformations muramasa and odin sphere use to save production costs... the only difference is that the latter two throw so many of those cheap effects in your face that you barely notice them because of the overwhelming effect of OMGEVERYTHINGMOVES.

Style

Novice
Non-interactive environments are always going to look better than interactive ones.

15152d1221050366-landscape-landscape-wallpapers.jpg

oh my god look how good that 2d picture looks, why can't they just make a game like that

Cassidy

Arcane
spekkio said:
And what's wrong with furries?

Doesn't matter it's not a fat greasy male beneath the fursuit and the fact it doesn't cover the entire body. It's all the same shit.

denizsi

Arcane
Foto+Trine.jpg

This^ reminds me a lot of the town in Icewind Dale.

KazikluBey said:
It seems quite silly to compare the primarily pre-rendered 3D art of, say, the IE games with "actual" 2D art.

Most everything in IE games were pre-rendered backgrounds. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Style said:
Non-interactive environments are always going to look better than interactive ones.

http://www.interweb.in/attachments/pc-w ... papers.jpg

oh my god look how good that 2d picture looks, why can't they just make a game like that

What I love about 2D (and similar 3D games) is the sense of wonder and mystery for far away lands or just other places in your immediate surrounding you see in the background and want to go but can't or the whole thing would be meaningless, unless the developers allows you to but with even more far away scenery to incite the same feeling again once you're "there".

Melcar

Arcane
denizsi said:
What I love about 2D (and similar 3D games) is the sense of wonder and mystery for far away lands or just other places in your immediate surrounding you see in the background and want to go but can't or the whole thing would be meaningless, unless the developers allows you to but with even more far away scenery to incite the same feeling again once you're "there".

+1

In A Link To The Past, standing atop the pyramid in the Dark World and looking at the tower in the background. I don't know why, but I like that particular scene.
2D just (in my opinion) gives you an impression of a much bigger and mysterious game world. With 3D you can either go anywhere or are enclosed by invisible barriers, both of which kill the sense of wonder as you explore the game world. I think that would be somewhat alleviated if they gave us some nice pre-rendered backgrounds of the lands beyond with some impossible to overcome (yet believable) natural barrier preventing you from going there, instead of just blurring everything beyond the game world or pretending it doesn' exist.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
denizsi said:
KazikluBey said:
It seems quite silly to compare the primarily pre-rendered 3D art of, say, the IE games with "actual" 2D art.
Most everything in IE games were pre-rendered backgrounds. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, that's pretty much what I said, innit? I didn't state it quite as matter-of-factly as I could have, perhaps, but last time I tried to correct people's notion that the IE games were "pure 2D" Brother None I think it was told me that that was wrong 'cause there were like, some Photoshop touch-ups on most maps, especially in Torment and so I was much too categorical in calling it purely pre-rendered 3D.

Jaqen

Novice
Melcar said:
denizsi said:

+1

In A Link To The Past, standing atop the pyramid in the Dark World and looking at the tower in the background. I don't know why, but I like that particular scene.
2D just (in my opinion) gives you an impression of a much bigger and mysterious game world. With 3D you can either go anywhere or are enclosed by invisible barriers, both of which kill the sense of wonder as you explore the game world. I think that would be somewhat alleviated if they gave us some nice pre-rendered backgrounds of the lands beyond with some impossible to overcome (yet believable) natural barrier preventing you from going there, instead of just blurring everything beyond the game world or pretending it doesn' exist.

Exactly, I think 2d works so well because it requires a degree of thinking to overcome the 'basics' of the image/graphics. Therefore what you see is only limited by your imagination.

Sadly, the intellect of the average gamer (and mass market) requires the designers to 'spell out' what is going on usually by using linear graphics which leads to a linear game (i.e 3D).

Azarkon

Arcane
The irony here is that it all boils down to artist hours, and 2D is actually more time-consuming than 3D if you want the same amount of animation. Of course, if all you want is a sequence of static screens then 2D can be better... Though the amount of automation, reuseability, and modularity 3D has is simply mind-boggling.

Look at it this way: you want detailed, oil-painted artistic gems; well guess what, that takes a good artist weeks or even months to generate. How many artists can you afford to put on a game? Now multiply that by the number of backgrounds you want to have and divide by the expected development time. There's your art budget.

crakkie

Arcane
Azarkon said:
Look at it this way: you want detailed, oil-painted artistic gems; well guess what, that takes a good artist weeks or even months to generate. How many artists can you afford to put on a game? Now multiply that by the number of backgrounds you want to have and divide by the expected development time. There's your art budget.
All the backgrounds, objects, and actors in Aquaria (first page) were painted by a single guy. Photoshop-next-gen-painter-types can churn out digital paintings very quickly. No one is scanning in an oil painting every 2 weeks.

And while it still makes animation much easier, the modularity and reusability of 3D (for environments at least) has decreased drastically as graphics have gotten more detailed.

Melcar

Arcane
With all the money they spend in marketing, epic orchestra soundtracks, and bleeding edge "your computer can't run it so you need to buy a new one" graphics engines; why not invest in a few top grade artists? I guess it's the same deal as with competent writers; they just aren't needed for today's blockbuster games.

Azarkon

Arcane
crakkie said:
Azarkon said:
All the backgrounds, objects, and actors in Aquaria (first page) were painted by a single guy. Photoshop-next-gen-painter-types can churn out digital paintings very quickly. No one is scanning in an oil painting every 2 weeks.

And while it still makes animation much easier, the modularity and reusability of 3D (for environments at least) has decreased drastically as graphics have gotten more detailed.

Aquaria's style of graphics are not what I'm talking about. Nor are they particularly impressive.

Machinarium and The Whispered World are much better illustrations of my point. Both depend on elaborate background images; both do not have that many of them.

Gerrard

Arcane
Grim? Check.
Dark? Check.
Tits? Check.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom