Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why don't we get more games that look this good?

Phelot

Arcane
Hey KalosKagathos, is there some sort of easy guide to setting up Playstation emulators? Don't you need to burn a CD for them or something? I never got how to set them up or even find ROMS

spekkio

Arcane
phelot said:
Hey KalosKagathos, is there some sort of easy guide to setting up Playstation emulators? Don't you need to burn a CD for them or something? I never got how to set them up or even find ROMS.
Don't bother, I think it's way too complicated for average Joe. :smug:

Buy old PSX games from PSN network, that way Sony will receive some jewgold too.

KalosKagathos

Learned
phelot said:
Hey KalosKagathos, is there some sort of easy guide to setting up Playstation emulators? Don't you need to burn a CD for them or something? I never got how to set them up or even find ROMS

1. Get an emulator. ePSXe is generally considered to be the best one.
2. Get a GPU plugin. I recommend Pete's OpenGL2 plugin. Put the plugin in "plugins" folder.
3. Get a PS BIOS. Distributing one is illegal, but you can easily google it. Put it in "bios" folder.
4. Get zlib1.dll here. Put it in the main epsxe folder, near the ePSXe.exe file.
5. Run ePSXe.exe. A configuration wizard will pop up. Just follow the instructions.
6. Get disc images at your favorite torrent site.
7. ???
8. Profit!
spekkio said:
Buy old PSX games from PSN network, that way Sony will receive some jewgold too.
1. Sony and publishers will get some money, but development teams have changed over the past 10+ years. Designers won't get a cent.
2. The PS3/PSP upscaler is shit, and you can't run games in a window.
3. If you live in a PAL region the selection of PSOne Classics is minimal anyway. We don't even have Crash Bandicoot 2.

spekkio

Arcane
!

1. Get an emulator. pSX is generally considered to be the best one.
2. Can be skipped. Accelerated plugins are for fags anyway.
3. Get a PS BIOS. Distributing one is illegal, but you can easily google it. Put it in "bios" folder.
4. Can be skipped.
5. Run pSX.exe. A configuration wizard will pop up. Just follow the instructions.
6. Get disc images at SnesOrama if you prefer filehosting sites. They've even added PS2 images lately, with PS2 being last-gen and stuffies. :)
7. ???
8. Profit!

Fixed.

@ 1-3 at the bottom:

It's funny that Sony/M$/Ninny weren't able to make proper emulators for their own old hardware. :)
I remember emu-scene being butthurt a little when 1st official emulation services were announced.
But shortly after their launch reaction changed to "WTF is this shit? Did they code this shit in Java or sth?" :smug:

*Edit:
Crash Bandicoot! Fuck, best 3d platformer evar!

n6yplh.jpg

Fuck this free-roaming Mario64/Spyro/Jak/Ratchet shit!
Crash 1-3 looks great even now, especially on Accelerated Plugins for epsxe.

2ekq6xg.jpg

But those are for fags, so don't use them, K?

Phelot

Arcane
Thanks for the info guys, I'll give it a shot. I wanna play SOTN again.

How does the emulator handle 3D? Does it turn to shit like MAME?

spekkio

Arcane
phelot said:
How does the emulator handle 3D? Does it turn to shit like MAME?
If your comp is able to run games like Fear 1 or HL2 you should have steady 60/50 FPS.

I've tested pSX on my netbook with some shitty dual core intel processor and games still run at 60 FPS in software mode. epsxe is even faster (Accelerated Plugins).

Black Cat

Magister
@ Gragt

"Don't bother with ePSXe, use pSX."

pSX requires almost no configuration but you must play the games without any tweaking. Remeber we are talking Playstation games, known for some of the most horrid low tech 3d ever. 2d ages much better. Some old 3d games, like Koudelka, are totally unplayable in anything but a very tweaked ePSXe given how primitive their graphical technologies are to the modern eye.

pSX is for traditionalists, who want their games to look exactly the same as they did back in the day on the console. ePSXe, however, is obviously for graphics whores (although there are pluings that make it look pretty pretty close to the original console output).

Also, ITT Codexers are coming out of the closet.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, to be perfectly honest, PSX and PS2 had a lot of really good games. One could even say that PS2 was the golden age of gaming overall.

EDIT: Ditto and the original Crash Bandicoot games of the PSX being the best 3D platformers have to offer.

spekkio

Arcane
Alright graphixwhores, let's compare non-accelerated and accelerated console graphics.

To me, pimping low-res PSX 2D graphics is a waste of time.

Compare pSX screenshots (left, non-acc) and epsxe screenshots (right, acc):

2sba7pz.jpg
1znwl21.jpg

20shudz.jpg
309jb5t.jpg

3d elements may look better, but 2d menus look like shit (even after some fooling around with plugin settings).

On the other hand, in pure-3d games I always use acc plugin, :lol:

2db1c36.jpg
32zqi5x.jpg

It's even worse in GC & PS2 games, where I always use non-internal resolutions. :oops:

Compare two screenshots from SC2, GC Version: native internal resolution (1st) and 1680x1050 internal res (2nd)

2j5jpj6.jpg

243grjr.jpg

It's the same with PS2 games, three screenshots in 1024x1024 internal res:

29yfmfb.jpg

295tqav.jpg

vdzmg.jpg

Fuck, it looks that I'm a grapphicwhore too! :(

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Black Cat said:

What? Not even Gragt-sama?

Black Cat said:
Remeber we are talking Playstation games, known for some of the most horrid low tech 3d ever.

It's good for what it is.

Black Cat said:
Some old 3d games, like Koudelka, are totally unplayable in anything but a very tweaked ePSXe given how primitive their graphical technologies are to the modern eye.

I just saw some pics and it looks fine. Old but not exactly ugly.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Halp! I want to give Super Robot Wars a spin, but I don't know jack shit about setting up a PS2 emulator.

gromit

Arcane
Gragt said:
It's good for what it is.
Yeah, "lol," but not even! Textures tend to just kind of do whatever they want between coordinates. This is one of the most infamous hardware problems in consumer electronics.

Gerrard

Arcane
pSX is good for people who are too dumb to configure ePSXe properly. :smug:
Also, back when I was playing Valkyrie Profile pSX was still some early version and the music and sound were completely fucked. Not that I know if it's working now.

Needs more Amiga games up in this.
I wanted to post a few more, but I don't have them and all I can find are some horribly upscaled screenshots.

002yk.png

savegame003.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom