Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why don't we get more games that look this good?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Gerrard said:
pSX is good for people who are too dumb to configure ePSXe properly. :smug:

Or those who want correct aspect ratio (it seems that ePSXe supports it but the graphic plugins will only output stretched fullscreen or original PSX ratio, none of wich are correct), get the game to look as intended (GPU acceleration usualy ruins sprites
and make 3D objects stand out against the 2D backgrounds, and it's even more obvious the few times a movie starts playing with the characters still displayed, also I have seen lighting and darkness being displayed incorrectly on a few occasions) or have smooth animation (I compared both pSX and ePSXe in software mode with Chrono Cross and was really surprised to find out that pSX was much smoother than its rival, and at the time this annoyed me because I wanted to keep ePSXe).

So yeah, you do not have GPU acceleration (which can cause problems because it can be hard to render some effects that are trivial to do in software mode unless you use pixel shaders and even then you can't be sure they'll be 100% accurate) but you know that the game will display correctly and you do not have to spend hours configuring it, sometimes doing it for each game.

Gerrard said:
Also, back when I was playing Valkyrie Profile pSX was still some early version and the music and sound were completely fucked. Not that I know if it's working now.

I tries to be accurate so that means that it doesn't rely on hacks like ePSXe do. There is bound to be problems with some games, and development is slow, but when it works it works great.

wallace said:
Yeah, "lol," but not even! Textures tend to just kind of do whatever they want between coordinates. This is one of the most infamous hardware problems in consumer electronics.

Sure thing but not exactly what I'd call fugly, at least in most games I played.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
spekkio said:
Butthurt detected.
But righteous buttthurt is righteous.

Nah, not yet. Just hungry because I didn't have breakfast yet, which puts me in a far worse mood than when I'm butthurt.

Paula Tormeson IV said:
Does ePSXe run the Playstation Wizardry game properly? You can't get past the first fight on pSX.

You mean the Llylgamyn saga? I did a test and cleared almost all of the first level of Wiz1 without troubles, so do you refer to another game or a specific fight?

Melcar

Arcane
Got to agree with the lad that went emo and is not coming back. ePSXe sucks balls and is a pain to set up compared to pSX. pSX is far more accurate in reproduction too. Sure, it's cool to put a shitload of filters and shit to satisfy graphics sluts, but they usually make the game look shitty.

Gragt said:
You mean the Llylgamyn saga? I did a test and cleared almost all of the first level of Wiz1 without troubles, so do you refer to another game or a specific fight?
Sorry, I remembered wrong. It was for PS2. Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Alright, got a hang of this... Decided to first try and work with an ePSXe :graphicswhore:, and currently got a translated Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden coming...

spekkio

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Decided to first try and work with an ePSXe :graphicswhore:, and currently got a translated Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden coming...
Post some epic pics plox.

Luzur

Good Sir
savegame003.png

Darkmere.

:brofist:

ever

Scholar
Custom 16 color pallettes really produced some nice things.

Shame the early IBM standards cards didn't have it as a standard feature or we would have had some pretty looking 1985-1992 games that don't play terribly (one button 20 years of load times etc.... stupid commodore amiga)

As it is if there's a game made in lets say 1989 you have to sacrifice either graphics or playability, or hope there was a VGA remake of it at some point.

Black Cat

Magister
What game is that, Raghar? I remember that horned wolf thingie from somewhere but, like, the where i remember it from kind of totally evades me.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Felix

That's weird, i never even heard about that game before but i would swear i have some fanart of the horned wolfie somewhere.

* Checks JEWtube *

Wait, are you telling me there's a tactical role playing game with a witch who actually beats evil to death with her big fat book of spells and darke magicks and i knew nothing about it until now? Time to sail, nya.

piratecat.jpg

I kind of need it on my greedy paws, now. I make so many bad jokes about witches beating people and demons to death with their grimoires my pride rides on it. :lol:

Black Cat said:
Wait, are you telling me there's a tactical role playing game with a witch who actually beats evil to death with her big fat book of spells and darke magicks and i knew nothing about it until now?
You'll probably like this game:
Grim_Grimoire_Boxart.jpg

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GrimGrimoire:30jibsjk]Wikipedia[/url] said:
Lillet Blan is a young magician admitted to a prestigious magic school, the Tower of Silver Star. Though she attends normal classes for the first four days and meets the various professors and students, on the fifth day Lillet awakens to learn that everyone in the tower is dead. Before she is killed as well, she is suddenly propelled back in time to her first night at school. Lillet then proceeds to relive the five days before the tragedy over and over again, retaining the knowledge of magic she learns in those five days and desperately trying to solve the mystery to prevent the same events (or worse) from taking place on the fifth day. Over the course of the plot, Lillet discovers dark secrets about her classmates, teachers, and even the academy itself, all of which will lead her to the truth.

spekkio

Arcane
Black Cat said:
I think the origins of this are quite clear:

jk7om0.jpg

1zeefq0.jpg

I also think that some pics posted here are simply improper for Codex. Some better ones:

Grimgrimoire:

2wgyv5v.jpg

2w50mrs.jpg

nf1cud.jpg

Eternal Poison:

315de8i.jpg

jkvyjb.jpg

Both games work on Pcsx2 AFAIK. :smug:

It seems that Jap devs really know their target audience. Or they're more skilled than western ones

soviwm.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom