Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why is Dragon's Dogma a top 101 rpg?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Who even cares how much of a pure rpg it is.
Said the dumb guy in a thread asking why the game should be in top 101 rpgs.....lol

Falksi

Arcane
But it's barely an RPG, full of repetitive shit, and I've not been able to play past the first hour or so on subsequent returns.
Who even cares how much of a pure rpg it is. The truth is the stats do matter, and there is some C&C.
Though i will grant you theres a fair bit of repetitive content.

I actually enjoyed Kingdoms of Amalur too
Oh fuck off, that shit was awful.

DD was the better first time experience
Thats the only one that really matters in these kind of games.

Both games suffered hugely for the Open World/MMO trend, both games could do with a refined sequel.
Good luck getting an amalur sequel.

To me the game's a modern day beat-em-up with nobs on. I feel the same about Dark Souls too. There's not enough actual role-playing in it to change my mind. It feels like a combat sim propped up by quest givers, any not a living breathing world which you interact with.

I enjoyed KOAR. Had it's downsides, got real old fast if you played much of the filler content, a ton of flaws, but there was a decent game in there. Overall I'd say 3/5

I like to be able to replay games & still have fresh things to see & do. DD's 2nd, 3rd & 4th attempts at a replay felt exactly the same as the first. Even combat wise

Yeah, a shame really. Both games had loads of good qualities & potential, just bogged down by the bollocks.

barghwata

Savant
i don't really care about combat that much.

Well that certainly explains a lot, but it still doesn't explain why you would consider Kingdoms of amalur any better, that game has nothing going for it aside from combat (writing,atmosphere etc... are all shit ) and even the combat itself is very easy and simplistic with little to no depth, there is a variety of skills and abilities to choose from but most of them are useless anyways and most fights just come down to spamming the same attacks untill you fill up your fate meter and destroying all your enemies with the reckoning mode, not to say DD's combat doesn't have its issues but at least it has great boss battles and a decent leve of difficulty and challenge which Kingdoms of amalur certainly does not have.

Still DD's combat is very basic lol,there isn't even blocking or dodging buttons

I was going to explain why that's wrong but someone already did:

There is blocking, parrying, dodging and counter-attacks, different kinds in fact depending on which classes you use. Blocking consume stamina, and big monster will consume it very fast unless you use special enchantments or skills, or you perform perfect blocking (parries). Assassin has numerous ways to avoid damage, and Strider is able to "reset" its stance, allowing you to recover instantly out of the recovery animation of attacks, allowing for some neat tricks if used properly. When it comes to spell casting, you can synchronize spells with your pawns to speed up your cast times, and enchantments are incredible powerful. Magic Archer has many situational spells, including some that consist on sacrificing your own pawns to deal massive damage. There are actually quite a lot of different mechanics and combinations you can use.

The game has a certain level of mechanical depth to it that comes from skills and abilities that you acquire as you progress, most of which you probably didn't get to see because you played the game for 5 hours; if anything it's good that it doesn't have simple dodging and blocking mechanics as those tend to make combat cheesy and easy to circumvent, i don't see how being able to block any attacks or dodge rolling out of harm's way is gonna add anything to the combat system, DD forces you to carefully position your character and think ahead instead of just clicking a button to avoid damage.

Emily

Arcane
Let me guess, you also thought Gothic 1 and 2 were shit? :lol:

Some people just dont like ARPGS and that is fine. But dont act like ARPG isnt a valid RPG.

And you dont need choices of who will you fuc.. i mean romance each and every game to call it RPG.

Falksi

Arcane

Some people just dont like ARPGS and that is fine. But dont act like ARPG isnt a valid RPG.

And you dont need choices of who will you fuc.. i mean romance each and every game to call it RPG.

The difference between NPC interaction between DD & Gothic 2 though is night & day.

DD is ridiculously thin on the ground with RPG elements overall IMO. The story, characters & quests are all dull as dishwater.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The game has a certain level of mechanical depth to it that comes from skills and abilities that you acquire as you progress, most of which you probably didn't get to see because you played the game for 5 hours; if anything it's good that it doesn't have simple dodging and blocking mechanics as those tend to make combat cheesy and easy to circumvent, i don't see how being able to block any attacks or dodge rolling out of harm's way is gonna add anything to the combat system, DD forces you to carefully position your character and think ahead instead of just clicking a button to avoid damage.
Yes,because holding ctrl and E is a smart way to dodge. I saw that there was abilities,but they are mostly useless because they are not connected to a short cut button of your choice(say the numbers),but are connected to two on the light/heavy attack alternative and one to the E. Thus you end up having say the two best attacks and a dodge or something similar to the e. I wouldn't have minded unlocking the dodge things if it was keymapped to an intuitive button. Nobody sane person thinks that ctrl + E is a good combination for a dodge move.

For me the combat is not better than Two worlds and kingdoms of alamur,you just hit shit till it dies. There is no point in pretending that it is some convoluted combat system with dodges,parries and outsmarting a clever opponent. Kingdom at least it has its story and setting,the writing was pretty good from what i remember. The worst part of that game was the mmo encounter system and how easy it is.

Speaking of action combat,kingdom come deliverance has maybe the second best combat after Risen.

Emily

Arcane

The difference between NPC interaction between DD & Gothic 2 though is night & day.

DD is ridiculously thin on the ground with RPG elements overall IMO. The story, characters & quests are all dull as dishwater.
The RPG elements come mostly from your class and build. I personally didnt like DD that much compared to Gothic, but not every game can be Gothic 2 which is probably best RPG ever made.

DD is easily top 100 RPG not necessarily top 10.

Lhynn

Arcane
For me the combat is not better than Two worlds and kingdoms of alamur
Because you are an imbecile and have horrible taste.

you just hit shit till it dies.
I mean, yes. How is this a valid point? The thing about DD is that there is a variety of ways you can go about it, and that there is a lot you have to keep a track of to manage it.

There is no point in pretending that it is some convoluted combat system with dodges,parries and outsmarting a clever opponent.
It is fairly convoluted, to defeat most enemies in game you need to understand what you are fighting against, you need a strategy or you will fucking die. Obviously you dont need to outsmart the AI, but you need to take steps towards defeating it, and those vary from enemy to enemy.

Kingdom at least it has its story and setting,the writing was pretty good from what i remember.
Oh god...

Speaking of action combat,kingdom come deliverance has maybe the second best combat after Risen.

latest

Lhynn

Arcane
Because Codexers are mostly bunch of pretensious faggots whom despite all sperging about "muh crpgs" and "muh incline/decline" have taste of typical consoletard/normie.
Nothing wrong with praising a game that deserves it.
A game being in console doesnt automatically make it bad, there are plenty of quality console games. The problem is when a game is objectively worse to accommodate for a console release, thats where the codexian hate for consoles comes from.

barghwata

Savant
Yes,because holding ctrl and E is a smart way to dodge. I saw that there was abilities,but they are mostly useless because they are not connected to a short cut button of your choice(say the numbers),but are connected to two on the light/heavy attack alternative and one to the E. Thus you end up having say the two best attacks and a dodge or something similar to the e. I wouldn't have minded unlocking the dodge things if it was keymapped to an intuitive button. Nobody sane person thinks that ctrl + E is a good combination for a dodge move.

That would have been a good point if the game forces you to dodge but it doesn't, as long as you position your character correctly and use the correct strategy for the type of enemy you're fighting against, you're not gonna need to click a button to avoid damage.

For me the combat is not better than Two worlds and kingdoms of alamur,you just hit shit till it dies. There is no point in pretending that it is some convoluted combat system with dodges,parries and outsmarting a clever opponent.

As i said, DD's combat system does have its issues, and it's true that many filler enemy encounters do boil down to hit shit untill it dies, but when it comes to stronger enemies and boss fights that rarely ever works, you generally have to figure out a boss's weaknesses before you can stand a chance to fight them, i mean there are bosses that fly and move rapidly that are very difficult to even hit, other bosses are immune to damage and can only be damaged in certain parts of their bodies, some others are only weak to specific elements etc.... boss fights are where the game really shines and outclasses most ARPGs out there where you just swing your sword at a boss until it dies.

Kingdom at least it has its story and setting,the writing was pretty good from what i remember.

Wait...... are we talking about Kingdoms of Alamur here?? it has the most generic unmemorable cliché cookie cutter high fantasy writing i have ever seen, not to say DD's writing is great or anything but i genuinley can't understand what you like about Kingdom's writing.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Anonona

Learned

For me the combat is not better than Two worlds and kingdoms of alamur,you just hit shit till it dies. There is no point in pretending that it is some convoluted combat system with dodges,parries and outsmarting a clever opponent. Kingdom at least it has its story and setting,the writing was pretty good from what i remember. The worst part of that game was the mmo encounter system and how easy it is.

First, here you are complaining about the basic key binds, not the game itself. If rebinding them doesn't work for you, blame the game for being a console exclusive at first, so the game is designed for controllers.

Second, how are skill useless? The game is all about your skills. The default dodge/block isn't tied to any of your skills slots. Furthermore, you usually have 6 skills slots, and many of the skills that allow you to dodge also have other benefits. For example, Fighters learn an attack that allows them to attack as they jump backwards. It is a tool not only for damage and dodging, but also re-positioning. One of Striders' skills allow them to dodge, throw enemies into the air and attack, some of Warriors skills have a window that allow to parry attacks, Assassin too. While the balance of skill have their issues, skills play an important role. Also, having to select and compromise between skills is not bad.

Finally, you are just using reduction to the absurd as an argument. "You just hit shit till it dies, no strategy." Except each class have their own way of playing, and each enemies their weaknesses, and in higher level content you are bound to get killed if you don't play well. Is not hard, you are not fighting a mastermind AI, but saying it is mindless is quite inaccurate.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

That would have been a good point if the game forces you to dodge but it doesn't, as long as you position your character correctly and use the correct strategy for the type of enemy you're fighting against, you're not gonna need to click a button to avoid damage.

For me the combat is not better than Two worlds and kingdoms of alamur,you just hit shit till it dies. There is no point in pretending that it is some convoluted combat system with dodges,parries and outsmarting a clever opponent.

As i said, DD's combat system does have its issues, and it's true that many filler enemy encounters do boil down to hit shit untill it dies, but when it comes to stronger enemies and boss fights that rarely ever works, you generally have to figure out a boss's weaknesses before you can stand a chance to fight them, i mean there are bosses that fly and move rapidly that are very difficult to even hit, other bosses are immune to damage and can only be damaged in certain parts of their bodies, some others are only weak to specific elements etc.... boss fights are where the game really shines and outclasses most ARPGs out there where you just swing your sword at a boss until it dies.

Wait...... are we talking about Kingdoms of Alamur here?? it has the most generic unmemorable cliché cookie cutter high fantasy writing i have ever seen, not to say DD's writing is great or anything but i genuinley can't understand what you like about Kingdom's writing.
Nigga come on,you fight groups of enemies,no positioning can save you from some retard running behind you and unleashing a combo from which you can't get away. The combat system does lack any tactical depth,sure there is the strategical element of getting prepared for the enemy's weakness,but when you are one the battlefield your mobility is very limited. You could just stay there and hit shit till it die and heal. I managed to kill a cyclops and a gryphon during my play and was not impressed, as i said you get on them and smash attack or you could cheese them with the bow. Don't see the complexity at that you people are talking about.

As for kingdom of amalur....ahhh don't know if the writing is still good,i played it 8 years ago lol,yet i still have fond memories of it. The lorestone stories were pretty good.

Anonona

Learned
t groups of enemies,no positioning can save you from some retard running behind you and unleashing a combo from which you can't get away.

But that is precisely why good positioning matters. You keep your enemies in front of you, keep close to you companions, manage your stamina and do not let them get the drop on you, specially on hard, where they can one shot you easily. In fact it reads more like you are blaming the game for your own mistakes. Of course, not saying it is like this, but I cannot agree with this assessment.

The combat system does lack any tactical depth,sure there is the strategical element of getting prepared for the enemy's weakness,but when you are one the battlefield your mobility is very limited. You could just stay there and hit shit till it die and heal. I managed to kill a cyclops and a gryphon during my play and was not impressed, as i said you get on them and smash attack or you could cheese them with the bow. Don't see the complexity at that you people are talking about.

That is probably because those enemies are easy and mostly early game. Also normal is quite easy. Combat shines more when you reach the Everfall and in Bitterblack Isle. And only those two? You should have found some more by that point.

barghwata

Savant
Nigga come on,you fight groups of enemies,no positioning can save you from some retard running behind you and unleashing a combo from which you can't get away. The combat system does lack any tactical depth,sure there is the strategical element of getting prepared for the enemy's weakness,but when you are one the battlefield your mobility is very limited. You could just stay there and hit shit till it die and heal. I managed to kill a cyclops and a gryphon during my play and was not impressed, as i said you get on them and smash attack or you could cheese them with the bow. Don't see the complexity at that you people are talking about.

I don't get it man, i mean you said Risen was your favorite ARPG right well... here's how a regular boss fight looks like in dragon's dogma

and here's what Risen's last boss fight looks like lol:

I honestly think you should give it a second chance.

As for kingdom of amalur....ahhh don't know if the writing is still good,i played it 8 years ago lol,yet i still have fond memories of it. The lorestone stories were pretty good.

That's just nostalgia doing this to you, believe me if you play it again nowadays with no nostalgia goggles, you'll know what we're talking about.

Drowed

Arcane

Amalur makes the Original Sin series look like it was written by JRR Tolkien in comparison. It's just so, so gerneric and bland. Other than that, the game had a vaguely fun gameplay. But it's kind of ironic to talk kindly about Amalur in a topic where you're shitting on Dragon's Dogma.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom