Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why is Gothic series so culty?

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I started with Gothic 3, actually. Thought it was a nice game but it was too buggy to finish and decided to try G2. The difference was fucking enormous. Completely shocked at how better it was, I finished G2 and went to play the OG one, which was easier to get used to after G2. And again, the difference in worlbuilding and questing was huge from G3. There is absolutely zero chance that I will ever again call G3 a "nice game" or attempt to play it again.

If you can't tell why first two were better, that's your problem. However, don't expect others to take you seriously.
It's not a problem. It all boils down to the paradigma of knights who say Ni! Ni! eky, eky, eky, ta peng! Sadly, they will never understand it, so...

Laz Sundays

Educated
I started with Gothic 3, actually. Thought it was a nice game but it was too buggy to finish and decided to try G2. The difference was fucking enormous. Completely shocked at how better it was, I finished G2 and went to play the OG one, which was easier to get used to after G2. And again, the difference in worlbuilding and questing was huge from G3. There is absolutely zero chance that I will ever again call G3 a "nice game" or attempt to play it again.

If you can't tell why first two were better, that's your problem. However, don't expect others to take you seriously.
It's not a problem. It all boils down to the paradigma of knights who say Ni! Ni! eky, eky, eky, ta peng! Sadly, they will never understand it, so...
Noone cares, Mr Python. It's not an illusionary spell that we're under, it's common sense. Catering became the norm, world's gone to hell. Simulations were supposed to teach, not pander. If you can't break the spell someone else will so all is good.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
G3 was PB biting off way more than they could chew. The map was enormous compared to previous games and it was obvious they couldn't handle it, hence the shit, low-effort content strewn about, the whole "liberation" questline that kinda went nowhere and was scuffed as hell, vast stretches of landscape devoid of anything interesting, and the obviously rushed aspects of the game. PB reached for the stars only to fall on its face and never recover. I respect the ambition, at least. Had they succeeded to deliver G2-level quality at the scale they attempted, it'd have been the greatest RPG ever made.
"If they just changed the design possibly for every part of the game it would b3 amazing"

You're giving them way too much credit. Their ambition for creating such a large world did not have an effect on the following:

1. Retconning essentially every piece or Lore that existed in the setting

2. Pop up tutorials from the get go & immersion breaking dialogue/journal ("Your friend like to hang out near the beach. Go find your friend at the beach!")

3. Loot. Just loot. At least hand place something, like behind special, unique enemies.

I'm already bored and don't want to keep going, but you get the point. Things that were horribly implemented due to lack of time would still be shit even if they did it well.

thesecret1

Arcane
G3 was PB biting off way more than they could chew. The map was enormous compared to previous games and it was obvious they couldn't handle it, hence the shit, low-effort content strewn about, the whole "liberation" questline that kinda went nowhere and was scuffed as hell, vast stretches of landscape devoid of anything interesting, and the obviously rushed aspects of the game. PB reached for the stars only to fall on its face and never recover. I respect the ambition, at least. Had they succeeded to deliver G2-level quality at the scale they attempted, it'd have been the greatest RPG ever made.
"If they just changed the design possibly for every part of the game it would b3 amazing"

You're giving them way too much credit. Their ambition for creating such a large world did not have an effect on the following:

1. Retconning essentially every piece or Lore that existed in the setting

2. Pop up tutorials from the get go & immersion breaking dialogue/journal ("Your friend like to hang out near the beach. Go find your friend at the beach!")

3. Loot. Just loot. At least hand place something, like behind special, unique enemies.

I'm already bored and don't want to keep going, but you get the point. Things that were horribly implemented due to lack of time would still be shit even if they did it well.
Eh, I think even those things may have been done due to time constraints. No time create interesting encounters, no time to design a more natural way for quest hooks, Lore just shat together in a hurry to conform to whatever was needed at the moment... Content is usually created very late in the dev cycle, when corners are being cut on a mass scale and when management is slowly starting to panic. I'd pin it on ineptitude with other games, but there's few games out there as obviously rushed as G3 - it's especially noticeable if you go to lands beyond Myrtana, with empty as fuck deserts with garbage quests, or the northern wastes that are basically just a couple corridors filled with tons of trashmobs.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
The first two did a lot of things right, that made up for the horrid controls and wooden voice acting and writing.

After that, who knows. Gothic 3 was a crime against humanity on par with Oblivion, and everything since has been a tired and failed attempt to recreate the magic of the first two Gothics (meaningless title, btw).

Surprised Pirania Bytes made it as long as it did.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I haven't been able to put into words why I think Gothic voice acting is great (if we're referring to the English one which is "dodgy"). There are 1/2 instances of some really bad voice acting, stuff I could do better in, but it does what a video game needs to do imo. I don't know, I can't put it into words.

Eh, I think even those things may have been done due to time constraints. No time create interesting encounters, no time to design a more natural way for quest hooks, Lore just shat together in a hurry to conform to whatever was needed at the moment... Content is usually created very late in the dev cycle, when corners are being cut on a mass scale and when management is slowly starting to panic. I'd pin it on ineptitude with other games, but there's few games out there as obviously rushed as G3 - it's especially noticeable if you go to lands beyond Myrtana, with empty as fuck deserts with garbage quests, or the northern wastes that are basically just a couple corridors filled with tons of trashmobs.
I can't give them participation points for trying something ambitious and failing miserably because they did nothing good, it shows they had no idea what they're doing. If it was like Troika games or early Obsidian, there's some great stuff there despite being rushed and/or being a mess. Gothic 3 is none of that so the time constraints mean nothing to me when not only was stuff not improved, everything, down to every element of what makes a good RPG, was destroyed (the failure compounded by the existence of Gothic 1/2, I don't understand how you fail this fucking bad without being rotten to the core). Even being rushed is not an excuse for every last thing being a failure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom