Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why is magic so strong in most RPGs?

Pulse

Educated
Hi guys, first post here. I'm proud to be one of the community. Hope my first post doesn't get shat on too much.

I have noticed a tendency where in most single player RPGs spellcasters start out weak, but end up extremely overpowered. Obviously there are exceptions. However even in MMO's like WoW, where balance between players is important, mages have in general been consistently strong.

Do you also see it this way, or am I wrong in this assessment? If yes, any idea why? Perhaps it's a general viewpoint that magic should be strong? Or the setting itself (like D&D) where magic is OP, so a game based on D&D will also magic OP?

(Disclaimer: I enjoy playing spellcasters in many games, so this is not a magic-hate post, rather just curiosity).

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Victor

Magic is a violation of physical laws. I suppose one could design a setting in which it's useful for nothing more than parlor tricks, but it invariably leads to questions like "If I can teleport across a room, why can't I teleport over a mountain range?"

wishbonetail

Learned
In DnDs there supposed to be party. Each party member has his respective role. Like in military, you probably wouldn't compare artillery operator versus recon or combat pilot.
If youre single character, it is just glass cannon vs tank gameplay style.

notpl

Arbiter
In DnDs there supposed to be party. Each party member has his respective role. Like in military, you probably wouldn't compare artillery operator versus recon or combat pilot.
If youre single character, it is just glass cannon vs tank gameplay style.
D&D casters aren't glass cannons, though, they are the most durable and harm-avoidant classes as well as being the best melee or ranged fighters.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Dude. What are you talking about? If anything CRPGs usually make mages too weak when comparing lore and the gameplay. In P&P adaptations developers frequently make mages weaker than they are in tabletop.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
ven in MMO's like WoW, where balance between players is important, mages have in general been consistently strong.

And ... that is one of reasons which makes them boooooring.

The excessive focus on balance, the same reason which made D&D 4E so bad. IMO game mechanics should be in line with game lore. I hate gear farming, cooldown managing boring games.

In P&P adaptations developers frequently make mages weaker than they are in tabletop.

Exactly.

Mages tends to be extremely nerfed in CRPG's compared to P&P.

Just look to Spell fixes mod for NWN2 which UNnerf spells. Even in kingamekr which many people consider to have OP casters, most solo unfair builds are martial builds.

but it invariably leads to questions like "If I can teleport across a room, why can't I teleport over a mountain range?"

Because the spell has a limited range?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Magic is a violation of physical laws. I suppose one could design a setting in which it's useful for nothing more than parlor tricks, but it invariably leads to questions like "If I can teleport across a room, why can't I teleport over a mountain range?"
Because the spell has a limited range?
Why would it? That sounds like BalanceMan talking. if you're able to violate the laws of physics, why would physical distance be a parameter of the spell?
Is this a joke that I'm not getting? Magic (usually) is a violation of physical laws in the sense that it follows other made-up laws, not that anything can happen anywhere anytime.

buffalo bill

Arcane
A bunch of nerds who spent their time reading books all day instead of working out are really happy that characters who spent all their time studying books are the strongest. Now, the people making those rpgs are these nerds who did nothing but read book all the time.
posted this at like exactly the same time as you

Pulse

Educated
ven in MMO's like WoW, where balance between players is important, mages have in general been consistently strong.

In P&P adaptations developers frequently make mages weaker than they are in tabletop.

Exactly.

Mages tends to be extremely nerfed in CRPG's compared to P&P.

Just look to Spell fixes mod for NWN2 which UNnerf spells. Even in kingamekr which many people consider to have OP casters, most solo unfair builds are martial builds.

Fair point, but surely there are also RPGs without a P&P background, and mages are strong or OP also there. I'd love to understand the rationale behind that.

Viata

Arcane
A bunch of nerds who spent their time reading books all day instead of working out are really happy that characters who spent all their time studying books are the strongest. Now, the people making those rpgs are these nerds who did nothing but read book all the time.
posted this at like exactly the same time as you
When you reject any bullshit reason, that is the only conclusion you can get. :greatjob:

Delterius

Arcane
I have noticed a tendency where in most single player RPGs spellcasters start out weak, but end up extremely overpowered.
cultural artifact from older editions D&D, where spellcasting was balanced by not being able to do it very often. see https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LinearWarriorsQuadraticWizards

in wrpgs magic users tend to grow in power exponentially. it's not just that individual spells might be stronger than physical attacks, it's that adding actions to a spellbook gives you a breadth of options that a purely martial character cannot have.

in tabletop a wizard can do whatever they want as soon as they have knowledge to do so. if the DM doesn't shut them down they can remake the world in their image. the warrior player otoh will use their imagination to enhance their bar fights. in a computer game the wizard can't do anything they want, but they still have a few dozen spells, while the warrior can attack, and if they are lucky grapple the enemy.

this is not always the case. wrpgs can have a situation where 'pure martial' characters are not really a thing, since their physical attributes are augmented by magical equipment, special abilities, potions and scrolls which all kinda level the playing field. jrpgs often run on martial supremacy, where swordsmen with spiky hair grow in power exponentially and wield magic anyways. more modern interpretations of D&D tend to focus on magic and martial characters working in tandem being the most practical and powerful option, which means the magic users buff the martials and everyone acts as a party.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
. if you're able to violate the laws of physics, why would physical distance be a parameter of the spell?

Because ""bending"" a small distance is easier than bending a larger distance. As Brandon Sanderson's said, limitations makes a magical system better. For eg "I can revive the dead" is silly, cuz take out all tension. Now "I can try to revive the dead, the likeless to succeed depends on the state of corpse and other variables" doesn't take out all tension. Same with teleport, elemental magic and so on.

I'm a huge magefan and work out every single day.

Viata

Arcane
I'm a huge magefan and work out every single day.
image.png

FriendlyMerchant

Magic is supposed to be strong. Illusion and enchanting magic is the strongest. If you feel exotic, you can use conjuration to create Golem.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hi guys, first post here. I'm proud to be one of the community. Hope my first post doesn't get shat on too much.

I have noticed a tendency where in most single player RPGs spellcasters start out weak, but end up extremely overpowered. Obviously there are exceptions. However even in MMO's like WoW, where balance between players is important, mages have in general been consistently strong.

Do you also see it this way, or am I wrong in this assessment? If yes, any idea why? Perhaps it's a general viewpoint that magic should be strong? Or the setting itself (like D&D) where magic is OP, so a game based on D&D will also magic OP?

(Disclaimer: I enjoy playing spellcasters in many games, so this is not a magic-hate post, rather just curiosity).
Magic sucks. Roll a barbarian.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
If you don't have a book with 100+ powerful spells it's not an RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom