Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why is Nurgle so overrepresented in 40K games?

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
We hear nothing of the other Chaos gods, and I do understand Slaanesh is more of an Elder story device, but it would be really good to have more representation of other Chaos gods. Is this a budgetary thing? Is it cheaper to model zombie-esque enemies than model those of Tzeentch or other Chaos gods?

None

Scholar
Not entirely sure why we don't see more Tzeentch. Khorne is too one dimensional for anything interesting. Slaneesh will get your game banned in Europe. Nurgle, what with the diseases, get a few more hooks to use in stories that others may not.

Or writers are uncreative and have preference for the fat plague daddy.

aekilju

Novice
Fatshark already had the assets/ideas from Vermintide 2 and coming up with objectives other than "slap all the plague bubbles" is apparently too hard.

Nurgle effects are pretty easy to model in a video game. How do you do a Tzeentch worshipper in a game where he's a generic enemy with no dialogue whose only role is to attack you and get killed? Or Slaanesh? Khorne I guess you make them look angry while they do it, but that's still boring. For Nurgle you make him look like a zombie and it's easy for anyone to process. Even someone who knows nothing about 40k can instantly figure out that Nurgle is zombie god. They might not get the full picture but it's pretty simple to learn more and figure out he's actually more of a disease and decay and not only zombies god.
If they took Darktide or whatever and tried to make the enemies Tzeentch instead then how would they do that? How could you make the bad guys represent trickery or plotting? It's hard. Meanwhile Nurgle it's just they're all zombies or rotting dudes, done.

because nurgle is less problematic (no sex, no blood, no skulls, no tasteful rape...) and with its lack of personal hygiene is more akin and closer to the playerbase.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nurgle sounds so cute.
Nurgle IS cute!
th4p709ffci21.jpg

But I agree it is a bit weird.
Sure, Khorne is just pretty boring, I get that.
Slaanesh could maybe get a bit... problematic? Then again, WH3 managed fine, so I'm not sure.
At least Tzeentch should have a bit more presence? The theme offers quite a lot of possibilities, you could easily go for a colourful horror theme, time bending, etc.

Mitleser2020

Scholar
Nurgle effects are pretty easy to model in a video game. How do you do a Tzeentch worshipper in a game where he's a generic enemy with no dialogue whose only role is to attack you and get killed? Or Slaanesh? Khorne I guess you make them look angry while they do it, but that's still boring. For Nurgle you make him look like a zombie and it's easy for anyone to process. Even someone who knows nothing about 40k can instantly figure out that Nurgle is zombie god. They might not get the full picture but it's pretty simple to learn more and figure out he's actually more of a disease and decay and not only zombies god.
If they took Darktide or whatever and tried to make the enemies Tzeentch instead then how would they do that? How could you make the bad guys represent trickery or plotting? It's hard. Meanwhile Nurgle it's just they're all zombies or rotting dudes, done.

Tzeentchian generic enemies = enemies who utilize magic or are mutated/changed by chaos magic (and serve Tzeentch worshippers).
Tzeentch is a God of Chaos who represents the vitality and volatility of change. Tzeentch is closely associated with sorcery and magic, as well as dynamic mutation, and grand, convoluted scheming.

For instance, the Tzeentchian Astartes Legion, the Thousand Sons mostly consist of Rubric Marines who are the latter.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Nurgle sounds so cute.
Nurgle IS cute!
th4p709ffci21.jpg

But I agree it is a bit weird.
Sure, Khorne is just pretty boring, I get that.
Slaanesh could maybe get a bit... problematic? Then again, WH3 managed fine, so I'm not sure.
At least Tzeentch should have a bit more presence? The theme offers quite a lot of possibilities, you could easily go for a colourful horror theme, time bending, etc.
tzeentch is antisemitic

Zlaja

Arcane
I've only played 2-3 games in the Warhammer universe (don't know much about the lore), and I'm already sick and tired of Nurgle and all the generic Chaos spawn garbage. Just a lot of green poo everywhere.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
He resonates well with the gringo audience
Nigga you be high as fuck, Brazzerillia be like the armpit of the world. Go a day over there without showering five times at least and you just got yourself the worst case of swamp ass on the fucking planet. Shieeet, you get bit by some insect and you get the next bubonic fucking plague and monkeypox and all sorts of shit all at the same time. The Amazon river got more diseases waiting to spring up on your ass than papa Nurgle's big pot. Fuck a hoe in Big bRapper land without protection and your fuckin dick is gonna melt right off like you be a leper or some shit. Don't fucking get me started on BR Slaneesh shemales. 50/50 the fat booty hoe turns around with a stubble and the biggest manjaw so fuckin huge you think they took a ship to Korea and stole all those extra jaws they keep sawing off to look less like the most inbred motherfuckers in the world.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
He resonates well with the gringo audience
Nigga you be high as fuck, Brazzerillia be like the armpit of the world. Go a day over there without showering five times at least and you just got yourself the worst case of swamp ass on the fucking planet. Shieeet, you get bit by some insect and you get the next bubonic fucking plague and monkeypox and all sorts of shit all at the same time. The Amazon river got more diseases waiting to spring up on your ass than papa Nurgle's big pot. Fuck a hoe in Big bRapper land without protection and your fuckin dick is gonna melt right off like you be a leper or some shit. Don't fucking get me started on BR Slaneesh shemales. 50/50 the fat booty hoe turns around with a stubble and the biggest manjaw so fuckin huge you think they took a ship to Korea and stole all those extra jaws they keep sawing off to look less like the most inbred motherfuckers in the world.
Brazil is sort of the real world version of Catachan.
Brazilian codexers may or may not confirm.

Trithne

Erudite
It's a change at least from the eternal Khorne Flakes that used to be the case. But it basically comes down to Nurgle being easy to represent without bumping the rating or confusing the smoothbrains.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yeah why not Slaanesh? :lol:
It would be interesting...
While Slaanesh is typically depicted as governing over all manner of sick depravity and lust, from a more "heightened" perspective, Slaanesh is simply the complete degradation and dissolution of morality and social mores. Depravity and corruption which the human mind can barely comprehend, going far beyond the sick sexual desires,gluttony,avarice, and other sins of Mankind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom