Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Am I gay?

• Total voters

Saduj

Arcane
Are you counting scholars, medics and clergy?

No, I specifically said soldiers. IIRC there are 10 you can recruit in Spain and 5 of them are women. Plus there's Isabella on Hispaniola.

Just looked it up. You are right and I was totally wrong. About half the starting chars of any class are women. I played through twice a while back and must have just remembered what I chose....

So yeah to correct my last answer you can have anywhere from zero to twenty women including warriors in any role.

Still up to the player though. Obviously it was pretty easy for me to just forget the ones I didn’t want to bother with.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Since Avonaeon is clearly reading, I would like to ask: does the team at LA acknowledge the fact that the people with positive impressions of the game are the ones who didn't play it at launch and benefited more from patches? Is "more playtesting" high on the list for your next title?

Because my personal "what went wrong" boils down to the gameplay mechanics being lackluster until patches brought them up to standards. That's something playtesting can help with.

I think I'm probably the one that read most of the reviews and forum posts and I usually relayed the feedback from the patches as well once we got it, so the guys here that worked on viking are for sure aware. Plus, we implemented a lot of the requested stuff in the patches precisely because we got some deserved criticism for it.

Only 279 of the people who voted that year rated Expeditions Viking. Now those who did play it enjoyed it as demonstrated by Viking receiving the least amount of 1/4 ratings that year. It's criminally under played like Hammer and Sickle.

The coveted Least Worst award. There should be an image floating around on the codex of the one we drew up for it :P

You don't need resource juggling in this game even on higher difficulties. You easily get enough of everything to never worry. Unlike Conquistador, your voyages around the Isles are never perilous but pointless. (The time limit is also well nigh impossible to run afoul of, though many games opt for that for various reasons).

For whatever reason, you seem to have had a very different experience. I'm not sure how, as I played through couple of different difficulties and different builds, and I did it on Day 1 without meta spreadsheeting. And it's been too long for me to remember actual numbers or anything.

I think it really depends on when you played the game. If you played it around launch it was admittedly too easy, even on the harder difficulties. But if you played it after the patches you'd have a much harder time. I think pretty much all the balance and difficulty tweaks we did was toward making the game more challenging.

Tigranes

Arcane
Avonaeon That's good to know. I played it twice upon launch for the review, and that was a major issue for the cohesion of different mechanics (or lack thereof). Perhaps I will try another playthrough in time, and revise my opinion.

It's funny because I was mildly disappointed with Viking, but that's because I considered Conquistador a very good, unique game and hoped for a different direction. Logic will still have my money for their next game.

Uncreation

Savant
I never played conquistador

Yeah, i can tell.

Let's ignore the thousands of injuns who sided with the Spaniards

You can recruit natives into your army. And you can work together with some chieftains to bring down the aztecs, or with the aztecs to keep the other tribes under control from what i can remember. It's been about 2-3 years since i played the game, so i don't remeber all the details, but in my playthrough i sided with a tribal chief and brought down the aztecs and then betrayed him at the end and killed him too.

"Racist" trait also stinks of shoehorning modern notions into a historical setting.

The "racist" trait doesn't appear only in the spaniards but also in the natives you can recruit, from what i can remember.

The only part where Conquistador is "pozzed" is that it has women soldiers. No gay romance, but you can marry some native girl. And the game doesn't get preachy about any of this, you can pillage and kill no problem. Hell, at the end the king snubbed me. He just gave me some minor noble title and said he wasn't impressed with the shinnies i brought him. What an asshole! I guess i should have pillaged harder.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think it really depends on when you played the game. If you played it around launch it was admittedly too easy, even on the harder difficulties. But if you played it after the patches you'd have a much harder time. I think pretty much all the balance and difficulty tweaks we did was toward making the game more challenging.

Yeah, I played it recently for the first time and was a bit puzzled by all the feedback mentioning it's too easy. I started on Insane, then dropped to Hard and it was perfect. Well except the Hroedgearda fight where she and her archers decimate half of your squad through shields and cover (Ranging Shot way too OP) before you can move. Had to drop this one on Easy and she still killed all of my dudes except one lol.

Apart from that I had a blast, with both Expeditions games. Gud job. Looking forward to your next thing.

Gibson

Learned
Both games ran really, like really, bad on my laptop; it's not a tr00 1337 h4xx0r gaming laptop but 12GB ram, i5 (3rd gen), an Nvidia with 2GB and an SSD is also not that crappy. PoE2 for comparisson runs noticeably better than both of Expeditions games. there just isn't anything in the graphics that should make them run so poorly; i had very low FPS in conquistador and it was almost "seconds per frame" for Vikings.
which is a bummer, because they really nailed it with the setting. wish more stuidos would go into those time periods, or at least that they follow up on the games.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Both games ran really, like really, bad on my laptop; it's not a tr00 1337 h4xx0r gaming laptop but 12GB ram, i5 (3rd gen), an Nvidia with 2GB and an SSD is also not that crappy. PoE2 for comparisson runs noticeably better than both of Expeditions games. there just isn't anything in the graphics that should make them run so poorly; i had very low FPS in conquistador and it was almost "seconds per frame" for Vikings.
which is a bummer, because they really nailed it with the setting. wish more stuidos would go into those time periods, or at least that they follow up on the games.

In my experience, many Unity games - especially older ones - don't take advantage of dedicated GPUs in laptops properly without a lot of messing around in the graphics control panel.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Finally got a chance to play the "fully-patched" Expeditions Viking last weekend. Difficulty is better now and I really think gating the skillpoints spent makes a big difference, not just to the difficulty but I think that's the best change that could have been made to the character system. I definitely find that I am using a much wider variety of combat actions and it's good fun!

Hopefully I'll get the chance to finish it and write up some impressions

I also think that I'm enjoying it a lot more coming back to it after a few years because I don't have the "but it's not like Conquistador" hang up.

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
Finally got a chance to play the "fully-patched" Expeditions Viking last weekend. Difficulty is better now and I really think gating the skillpoints spent makes a big difference, not just to the difficulty but I think that's the best change that could have been made to the character system. I definitely find that I am using a much wider variety of combat actions and it's good fun!

Hopefully I'll get the chance to finish it and write up some impressions

I also think that I'm enjoying it a lot more coming back to it after a few years because I don't have the "but it's not like Conquistador" hang up.
This might just convince me to try it again.
I disliked the beta, tried to give feedback but got told that was the intended direction so I gave up and never tried the full version.
Conquistadors was one of the goty that year for sure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom