Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why Planescape Torment is not a great game (In Depth)

A_Leftist_Pig?

Scholar
Possibly Retarded
tuluse It's learning (The hivemind)! Exactly, this game would have found itself in a better fit if the shell was one of adventure games.

Although I disagree to an extent. You can play your part the way you want in a narrative that's set. It's called deterministic philosophy (light).

Rpgsaurus Rex

I feel like the OP just wanted to talk about the game, with this "criticism" pretext. You like PS:T despite its flaws, don't you? That's alright, we all do.

A_Leftist_Pig?

Scholar
Possibly Retarded
It's funny. Fags who wants to have their hand held throughout the experience, who want to complete everything and feel that sense of achievement and who don't like perma death seem to be defending it the most. Projecting much? Stick to Oblivion ;-)

Athelas

Arcane
Yep, which is why IMO PS:T would've been just as good if you had only the items and level-up stat points, and started out with a fixed stat distribution. Especially as you have those tats you can swap in and out, f.ex. when switching between classes.

Normally in D&D you know how to distribute your stats based on the class you're playing. If you go into PS:T blind, there's just no way to know that WIS and CHA really are important, while you can safely dump DEX and CON no matter what you're doing. That's just an unnecessary curveball. The game isn't any more challenging with sub-optimal stats; it's just less enjoyable because you miss out on things and never even know it.

But that is really the only beef I have with PS:T's systems -- and I can't think of any game that doesn't have similarly boneheaded quirks, most of them much worse.
I'm pretty sure the idea was that mental stats are more valuable when you're on a quest for personal introspection. Maybe Chris Avellone thought the combat was hard and that STR, DEX and CON were worthwhile for that purpose alone. :M Although obviously the game could have benefited from more evenly distributed stat checks, I think it might have posed a creative challenge.

Arthandas

Prophet
mw-witch_hunt_0.jpg

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
The main point is still the same: if you play PS:T like it was Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale, you're gonna hate it. If you pay attention to detail and listen to what the game is telling you... there's nothing out there quite like it. And yes, the RPG features do contribute greatly. Without them it would've been a decent adventure game; with them, it's something uniquely awesome.

Nonsense, it still has the advantage of unique and bizarre setting, interesting itemization that goes against genre norms, great visuals (still the most beautiful game I've ever played) and sound, writing that is still excellent even without taking into consideration any mental stats checks etc.

Of course, PST is best experienced with focus on mental stats (which gears itself toward a mage class though Wisdom is useful for everyone) but it's still a great game even you take a straight run of the mill Fighter through it.

Prime Junta

The main point is still the same: if you play PS:T like it was Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale, you're gonna hate it. If you pay attention to detail and listen to what the game is telling you... there's nothing out there quite like it. And yes, the RPG features do contribute greatly. Without them it would've been a decent adventure game; with them, it's something uniquely awesome.

Nonsense, it still has the advantage of unique and bizarre setting, interesting itemization that goes against genre norms, great visuals (still the most beautiful game I've ever played) and sound, writing that is still excellent even without taking into consideration any mental stats checks etc.

Which you'll miss out on since you'll be playing it like IWD or BG.

A_Leftist_Pig?

Scholar
Possibly Retarded
My hero had 21 Intelligence when he ended the game, the highest of his stats. Don't you newbs worry about me or anyone else who plays this good game.

So Tuluse, you're not bored anymore or not smart enough to come up with a reply?

And DraQ, just to let you know, I reschedueled that proctologist back to you buddy. Hope he can help.

Prime, god you suck.

ArchAngel

Arcane
My hero had 21 Intelligence when he ended the game, the highest of his stats. Don't you newbs worry about me or anyone else who plays this good game.

So Tuluse, you're not bored anymore or not smart enough to come up with a reply?

And DraQ, just to let you know, I reschedueled that proctologist back to you buddy. Hope he can help.

Prime, god you suck.
3/10 Troll attempt. Try again.

A_Leftist_Pig?

Scholar
Possibly Retarded
You should know, you've been bombing this whole thread.
Fuck me, have you contributed an intelligent thought or humorous remark at all?

Also, stop stalking me, it's creepy. At least wait 10 minute before I reply after a 12 hour break.

ArchAngel

Arcane
You should know, you've been bombing this whole thread.
Fuck me, have you contributed an intelligent thought or humorous remark at all?

Also, stop stalking me, it's creepy. At least wait 10 minute before I reply after a 12 hour break.
Stalking would mean I follow you around the Codex. Nah, I am just here throwing tomatoes at the local fool that you are.

Curlbrah

Educated
I feel like the OP just wanted to talk about the game, with this "criticism" pretext.

Well how dare he breaking the circle jerk. This is a safe echo chamber where opposing opinions are strictly forbidden.
I mean he actually raised some valid criticism, that's not what I'm here for!
So I will belittle him and hide behind the notion of "this is da codexx brah, grow some thicker skin if you can't handle the heat"

At least put a trigger warning in your opening post, before you leave us delicate flowers more scarred than we already are, asshole.

Rpgsaurus Rex

I feel like the OP just wanted to talk about the game, with this "criticism" pretext.

Well how dare he breaking the circle jerk. This is a safe echo chamber where opposing opinions are strictly forbidden.
I mean he actually raised some valid criticism, that's not what I'm here for!
So I will belittle him and hide behind the notion of "this is da codexx brah, grow some thicker skin if you can't handle the heat"

At least put a trigger warning in your opening post, before you leave us delicate flowers more scarred than we already are, asshole.

Might wanna read past the first sentence.

You like PS:T despite its flaws, don't you? That's alright, we all do.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
People complaining about redistributing stats on character generation of a game where multiple stats are actually important to the narrative and the very first zone of the game has multiple high stat checks
Nothing of value would be lost he says

:grpg:

These fucking faggots wouldn't know what to do with a text adventure if the parser bitch-slapped them. It requires reactivity you see

Also ignored obvious submarine troll-alt Curlbrah

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom