Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why set a game in Boston?

Boston was an irish town like 100 years ago, it's certainly got its Irish but overall it's pretty diverse, it's a port after all.

Yeah if you like Bill Burr's accent then I guess you'd like it, although again, that's only one version of it and it's been softened by travel and you know, making sure other people understand what he's saying.

There's kind of two parts to the accent. The first part is the one everyone knows, the whole R's turning to H's. Pahk the Cah, and all that. But not ALL rs turn into hs, only the ones at the end of things. The R in "turn" for example is pronounced normally. That's a mistake some actors make and sound like they have some weird speech impediment when they're trying to do the boston accent.

The other part is harder to explain. Listen to Bill Burr and you get the idea, like imagine him saying "Come on kid". There are no dropped Rs there, but the boston accent shines through. Fallout 4 did NOT capture this part of the accent at all, where they even bothered to try, for example, Mama Murphy has the half assed version and honestly it's closer to a Maine accent than a Boston accent.

It's certainly a class thing as well. As a proud elitist who came from poors, I try to avoid it generally, and it sounds uneducated to my ear. But if I get a couple drinks in me it comes right out. It's just so easy to leave the Rs off the ends of things.

JDR13

Arcane
Fallout 4 did NOT capture this part of the accent at all, where they even bothered to try, for example, Mama Murphy has the half assed version and honestly it's closer to a Maine accent than a Boston accent..

Er...why would they want to? The game already has enough annoying aspects.

Fallout 4 did NOT capture this part of the accent at all, where they even bothered to try, for example, Mama Murphy has the half assed version and honestly it's closer to a Maine accent than a Boston accent..

Er...why would they want to? The game already has enough annoying aspects.
Just imagine the memes if Preston Garvey had an obnoxious boston accent when hitting you up to go rescue various settlements. Lol that would have been pretty hilarious. Or a super mutant trying to learn to talk with the local accent?

But no, we just get mama murphy and a bunch of californians with their godawful accents.

Pound Meat

Prophet
As someone not from the North, Boston is big gay and I would not play a game set there. It's a shitty city full of methhead white people who can't speak proper English and have an awful football team full of cheaters and serial killers. I'd rather see a game set in Albuquerque or--god forgive me--Canada.

Stella Brando

Arcane
I get it now, Fallout 4 is set in this city so that they could make a 'Boston Brahmin' joke.

I was wrong to question Todd.

Humanophage

Arcane
I'd say Boston is one of the more interesting and less generic US cities, although the only truly interesting one is NYC. Certainly Boston is quite historic and culturally significant.

Boston, Chicago, Detroit, LA, SF, Miami, Philly, DC seem like reasonable urban locations. Of course, it is possible to make something curious out of anything. E.g., focus on Baltimore slums or take a more historic approach to New Orleans.

Add to that Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Las Vegas, New Orleans, and Atlanta. These are also very large cities, and they are rarely used in modern settings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom