Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline Why so little love for Nethack?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by PorkyThePaladin, Dec 10, 2019.

1. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    This game barely gets mentioned here, never makes it on the top RPG lists.

And yet it is without a doubt one of the greatest RPGs ever made, and with the Vulture 2D graphical interface (the whole package available on Steam for like $3), there is no "I don't play ASCII" excuse.

This game, if you don't look up online hints/guides, can take many, many years to play through, as you uncover its secrets, and understand how everything works. I've been playing it on and off for years (close to a decade), and the furthest I've gotten is level 29 out of the 50 floors in the main dungeon.

The combination of intelligent gameplay and the thrill of discovering awesome loot, leveling up your character, and learning new shit makes this game the thinking man's Diablo (which I believe was sorta based on it in the beginning).

So, Codex, what's your excuse?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/341390/Vulture_for_NetHack/

• Brofist x 5
    • Agree x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. FEDSMOKER Lie Spider Patron

FEDSMOKER
    Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
    aww fuck i gotta play this. i bought this on steam years ago

^ Top  
  3. Atchodas Arbiter

Atchodas
    You answer your own question

• Funny Funny x 7
    ^ Top  
  4. Max Damage Learned

Max Damage
    I like the game (and its Dynahack fanmake), but I'm not good enough at the game yet to discuss it in details. There's a lot of stuff and depth, indeed.

^ Top  
  5. Martyr Magister

Martyr
    in the past I've played Nethack for years and years. beat it a couple of times, died a billion times.
    then I stopped playing it in 2014 I think, after trying the Vulture's Eye mod (which I disliked back then). I've actually got it installed right now, with Vulture's Eye. maybe I'll be playing it again, soon. anyway, the OP is right, awesome game!

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Melcar Arcane

Melcar
    I remember this. Died all the time.

^ Top  
  7. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    It's not that you die a million times, it's that every single death is different and amusingly entertaining.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Thal Augur

Thal
    Nethack is a game come back to year after year. I've ascended every class, done wishless, genoless and polyless conducts. I've dabbled with SLASH'EM so as to get something new, but haven't really gotten into it yet. I think many people see roguelikes as a genre of their own instead of being crpgs, which is probably the reason why it doesn't make it to best of lists.

Don't read spoilers if you want to keep the magic alive.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Swigen Arbiter

Swigen
    Yeah, I have yet to play it. I thought I was playing it on iPad but I guess it’s a knockoff called iNethack 2. Don’t know how similar it is but imma get the real PC one in light of the recent 3.6.3 update. Fucken love rogue-likes and have been meaning to see if I can’t find any Diablo mods that make Diablo even more Roguey.

^ Top  
  10. Serus Arcane

Serus
    Newer could get into Nethack for some reason despite liking and playing rogulikes. Maybe some day i'll give it a second chance. More threads about RLs is always welcome though.

^ Top  
  11. Gibson Learned

Gibson
    it's in the category of "just not my thing" - no special reason or hating on them but I just don't like/play Rogue-likes.
    The same as MMORPGs, Counter Strike and a ton of other games that are simply not on my radar.

still, wish you all to have a good time with them. :salute:

^ Top  
  12. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    Played a lot of Crawl back in the day. Nethack not so much.

Have had vulture on my wishlist for almost 3 years now. Someday.

^ Top  
  13. garren Arcane Patron

garren
    I just played adom because a few friends played that and got me into playing that too. Nobody really played nethack for some reason, and while I was aware of it, it took me years to just beat adom and I never really tried nethack at all.

^ Top  
  14. Gord Arcane

Gord
    I've played DCSS on and off for a couple of years, but I always lose interest after a couple of (failed) runs. Guess I just don't want to bother with properly learning these game and their systems.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Grampy_Bone Arcane

Grampy_Bone
    Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
    Never got into nethack, ADOM was the shizz. Though once I finally achieved a win, I lost interest in replays.

Also really loved Gearhead, though that was more of a different thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. index.php Arcane

index.php
    • nice nice x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Grampy_Bone Arcane

Grampy_Bone
    Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
    Thats the other thing, ADOM's style of drawing out the walls of hallways always looked better to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Is there any way to use top down tileset with Vulture?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Kev Inkline Arcane Patron

Kev Inkline
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    ASCII is great, and of course better than any tileset ever could be, but otherwise Porky's post is something I can agree with 100%.

Nethack is a great game!

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • meh meh x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. nyjsu Educated

nyjsu
    So what reasons there are to get into Nethack instead of say ADOM? I've thinked about moving on from ToME and ADOM seems like the most interesting option.

^ Top  
  21. AdamReith Liturgist Patron

AdamReith
    RPG Wokedex
    I enjoy roguelikes a lot but I remember watching a Nethack let's play and it seemed especially esoteric. The guy was dropping stuff in a fountain and how it splashed determined whether it was magic or not?

Are these things you could ever figure out for yourself or is it taken for granted that you've been told by somebody or are following a guide.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    No roguelike deserves a spot in the top 20 compared to real hand-made RPGs with actual level design and hand-placed encounters.

• Brofist x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Heresy x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. spectre Arcane

spectre
    Seems like I'm part of the "dunno, I just went with ADOM and it scratched all the itches for me" crowd.
    ADOM felt logical, relatively fair (for a roguelike) and quite developed with its backstory. I admit, I never
    seriously tried getting into Nethack, but it felt much more esoteric than ADOM.

Sorry my man, but playing a game on and off for years with minimal spoilers and still finding new stuff, hidden endings and challenges, then finally getting your first win is something to bring a grown man to tears.
    There's very few traditional RPGs , especially recent-made that can give you the same experience. You miss the Writhing Mass of Primal Chaos and the Writhing Mass of Primal Chaos misses you,
    but alas, some things were never meant to be.

On the other hand, you could argue that being a hack-and-slash ADOM (or Nethack, but I am only familar with ADOM, so I'll stick with that one) is closer to Diablo than a proper RPG game, and I would be inclined to agree.

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  24. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You do realize your "muh handmade levels and encounters!" shtick does get rather tiresome?
    I realize you won't stop, but I'm just wondering if it is your goal to appear, even within the Codex, as the grumpy old man who yells at the passing teens from behind the fence.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Darth Canoli Arcane

Darth Canoli
    Finally, i can see reason ...

And, yet, retardation is strong in this one.

It invalid everything reasonable you might have said by accident in the past.

• (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.