Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Why so little love for Nethack?

Semiurge

Cipher
I am actually playing it right now. My favorite move is to disable Vulture music, and put on some good songs on youtube, and rock out while dungeoning out. Nothing like finding that scroll of enchant weapon AND a magic marker on the 2nd level, eh? :)

There's nothing like becoming powerful enough to kill shopkeepers.

I am actually playing it right now. My favorite move is to disable Vulture music, and put on some good songs on youtube, and rock out while dungeoning out. Nothing like finding that scroll of enchant weapon AND a magic marker on the 2nd level, eh? :)

There's nothing like becoming powerful enough to kill shopkeepers.

There is no feeling quite like playing a Wizard in Vulture and finding a large second hand book store. It's almost like engaging in coitus.

Ialda

Learned
Why should I play nethack in 2020 when I could play Dwarf fortress or Caves of Qud instead :/

Casual Hero

Augur
Why should I play nethack in 2020 when I could play Dwarf fortress or Caves of Qud instead :/
Because all three of those games play very different from one another. I don't know what your tastes are, but NetHack most certainly still has its place among the modern RL scene.
If you are referring to the Adventurer mode of DF, at this point it is more about trying to create your own stories and test the game engine; it is another thing entirely.
Caves of Qud plays more like ADOM in that it has a main story line that never changes and it has an open world to roam.
NetHack is different from both of these in that it focuses on a single dungeon and complex interactivity between all of the moving parts within. It's often casually referred to as a "puzzle game", as there are a lot of unique enemies and encounters that usually have to be dealt with in a certain way.

Anyways, the short answer to your question is this: NetHack offers a type of gameplay that is not present in CoQ or DF.

Ialda

Learned
I actually haven't played nethack for 20 years and my memories were of a much simpler game. You gave me an urge to give it a try again.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Simple? Oh brother, Nethack, even 20 years ago, is way way more complicated than many modern rogue-likes. It certainly takes the cake when it comes to possible 'interactions.'

Shit, about to face the Wizard of Yendor. Kinda scared.

WB0aw3z.png

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Because all three of those games play very different from one another. I don't know what your tastes are, but NetHack most certainly still has its place among the modern RL scene.
If you are referring to the Adventurer mode of DF, at this point it is more about trying to create your own stories and test the game engine; it is another thing entirely.
Caves of Qud plays more like ADOM in that it has a main story line that never changes and it has an open world to roam.
NetHack is different from both of these in that it focuses on a single dungeon and complex interactivity between all of the moving parts within. It's often casually referred to as a "puzzle game", as there are a lot of unique enemies and encounters that usually have to be dealt with in a certain way.

Anyways, the short answer to your question is this: NetHack offers a type of gameplay that is not present in CoQ or DF.
An informative, friendly answer with lucid explanation. Not disparaging or belittling the person asking the question.

What are you doing in my internet?

Ok, I just defeated Wizard of Yendor for the first time ever. However, I might be fucked. I believe I need 3 items, of which I have 2.5. The other 0.5 might be difficult to come by on this particular run.

So I teleported back up to start searching the dungeons for the shit I need, and ran into Wizard 2.0. Holy shit. We are kind of stuck in a stand-off now, I am so strong he can't kill me easily, but I also can't kill him cause every time I get close, he summons a literal army of dragons/mindflayers/dinosaurs/etc. He also stole something important from me, the bastard, which gimps my aoe abilities. Went at him yesterday for about 2 hours, neither side managed to win. ;x

SlamDunk

Arcane
I ascended in 1994 (or so) as a barbarian named Bullshit. My heart beat at 110% speed and almost leaped out of my chest at the end. It was one of the most memorable gaming moments of my life.

I played NetHack rigorously for a few years before my first, and seemingly only, ascension. I had no modem back then, so I got some help from friends but the rest I figured out myself.

Last edited:

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
https://nethack.org/v367/release.html

Here's a brief synopsis of the handful of bug fixes included in NetHack 3.6.7:
  • invalid status highlight color could be maliciously used to corrupt memory
  • formatting corpse names used internal buffers differently from formatting other objects and could potentially clobber memory
  • during engraving, spaces were counted instead of non-space (cherry-pick of 4e0a1e04 from NetHack-3.7)
  • avoid potential buffer overflow in append_str()
  • resolve missing dependency in NetHack.sln
  • code in include/tradstdc.h was trying to suppress warn_unused result by defining warn_unused_result to an empty string and that began causing a build error within a system-supplied header file cdefs.h when using Ubuntu Impish 21.10; disable that for any Linux and macOS gcc unless GCC_URWARN is defined to force it back into effect
  • update_inventory() after leash goes slack
  • player assigned name for monsters, specific objects, or object types could be longer than what was intented to be allowed; for 'curses', much longer
  • Windows: added winflexbison to travis-ci configuration to permit full build of levcomp and dgncomp
  • Windows: a bad chdir specified in win/win32/dgnstuff.mak caused full build to abort
  • Windows: the console.rc file had outdated information stating 3.6.3 when the official 3.6.6 binary had been built.
  • Windows: switch from using keyhandling dll's to incorporating the three variations (default, ray, 340) in sys/winnt/nttty.c
  • curses: cherry-picked selectsaved code from 3.7 for menu of save files
  • NetHackW: fix delayed rendering of cursor when using farlook

Semiurge

Cipher
──────
|.!....%...|
|.....T.!...|
|.%..!.....|
──────

A crude representation of DU's throne room, with victims claimed.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom