Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Why there is on love for old PC's in 'retro' community.

Maybe I'm wrong but old PC's do not gain as much attention as consoles or closed architecture computers like Amiga or Atari/Apples?

Back in the day (90's) Amiga users were pretty biased againt PC users, at least in Poland when they called them 'Kloniarze' (cloners) and PC's - 'klony' (clones). Is it why PC is considered kinda 'soulless'?

Ok, modern shit is boring and I refuse to call anything released past Pentium 3 'retro' but c'mon. I had FUN with good old 386SX and wouldn't replace it for any Amiga, Sharp erc. It has it own aesthetics, PC speaker was hell but after years I consider way it sounds pretty unique, then it's Norton Commander, Win 3.11 and all of those DOS based goodness...I still love it.

There is still some demand for certain piece of hardware like Voodoo or Audigy but still, it's only a fraction of popularity old consoles gathered.

Guyz, can you explain why is it like that?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
PCs were saddled with an execrable operating system, Microsoft DOS followed by Windows, and the original IBM PC released in 1981 was aimed at business users (word processing and spreadsheets) and used the CGA graphics standard capable of displaying just 4 colors at a time from a palette of just 16 total colors. It wasn't until the release of the EGA standard in 1984 that IBM PCs and clones made substantial inroads into the home computer market. However, these EGA PCs didn't measure up even to the Atari ST released in 1985 much to less the revolutionary Commodore Amiga. Although the computers themselves are unloved, there were a great many games released with EGA graphics starting in the mid-80s, and a substantial amount of attention is paid to these games (perhaps even more than is warranted).

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I'm going to assume you mean stuff from the '80s, not the '90s. If GOG is anything to go by, there's still considerable love for '90s PC games, from VGA titles to when color limitations were no longer a thing. I think the amount of people who like this in particular is bigger than the communities for Japanese PCs, Commodore, Macs, even console games potentially. Maybe not in the amount of care the community has for them, but certainly in quantity.
I think while there isn't as much love for '80s IBMs, they have been gaining in respect in recent years. The primary issue is graphical and the PC Speaker. Compare any CGA screenshot to one from an early B&W Macintosh, or to a ZX Spectrum title. (another system that gets crapped on in retrospect) One of those games looks a lot better than the others, and its not the one with color. The CGA colorset most games use is a particularly ugly one, and not one many people used to great effect. It actually would have been better if all those games used B&W instead of that ugly palette.
The thing is, even back then people knew that wasn't the best, and CGA had a composite output. I don't know the exact details, but games that used this had about the same amount of colors as EGA...the reason why you don't know about this today is because I don't think DOSbox supports it easily, and it made text look blurry. Which was an issue when it was primarily sold to businesses who wanted spreadsheets and other documents. Or if a game had text.
As to the later half, I think EGA is getting some popularity. At least in the adventure department, some of the EGA adventure games looked really nice, in some cases nicer than the VGA versions of the same games. Tandy, the Radio Shack computer brand, is also getting some love, even if only because retro computer youtubers shill the crap out of them.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Sure. At the time when the Amiga came out, your typical PC was green-screen with pc speaker for sound. Just as likely to not have a HD as an Amiga, but used 5 1/4" disks. The Amiga could use a color TV for output, and had support for 4096 colors and stereo sound. Also, it had a good amount of games, which actually looked good, had a mouse and mouse support, had joystick support, and the OS was included.

IBM would eventually dominate, but a 386SX ran poorly, had bad graphics and sound, and was pretty expensive - your typical 386SX didn't come with a mouse. Also the games that were released just looked bad compared to Amiga or even C64 graphics. Also, color monitors at the time were at a premium.

Codex Year of the Donut
Partially due to the term 'PC' changing over the years. Amigas would easily fall under the definition of being a PC now compared to when it used to mean clone of a specific IBM product.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom