Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Why was mondblut banned?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is no justification for censoring nigger and not a heap of other racial slurs.
Yes there is. It's called picking the most obvious target and firing a warning shot across its bow.

The target either realises, "hey I'm being fired at here. I should go in another direction if I don't want to be hit" or the target continues and enters combat - where it fights, at which point it either wins or loses on a more permanent basis.

Only truly obtuse morons would struggle to grasp the implications. Implications that have already, quite rightfully, been pointed out by everyone against this.

The fact we're sticking to just this one, tiny little word, is our way of acknowledging this. And saying, "we don't really want to go down this path. In fact, we'd like to avoid it. But unfortunately, some people here are forcing our hand".

It's not going to be a good idea to force our hand.

This is us saying: "Hey guys, it's been fun, but tone it the fuck down a notch would you?" In the exact same way that you might see a video of a certain type of individual assaulting someone on the street and think, "those types of people need to be given a bit of authority, so that they learn that's not how to behave".

We're doing the exact same thing, only to certain people here.

You just happen to disagree. Which is fine. But at the end of the day, this is our website, not yours.

Only one word huh? I'm 100% sure it will stay there and definitely not turn into something worse like what happens every single other time. Just like communism, real censorship has never been tried and this time it will totally be different. For realz guys.

First they came for the n-words and I said nothing, because I'm not a nigger.

Then they came for everyone saying ching chong and I said nothing, because I'm not a chink.

Then they came for everyone saying a man cannot be a woman. And I said nothing because I don't care about trannies.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak for me because everyone left to Retardera and Reddit.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
There is no justification for censoring nigger and not a heap of other racial slurs.
Yes there is. It's called picking the most obvious target and firing a warning shot across its bow.

Only one word huh? I'm 100% sure it will stay there and definitely not turn into something worse like what happens every single other time.

Can you actually read? He fucking says it in plain English.

It is not about a single word. It is about niggardly behaviour over all. And does prove the point rather splendidly, a lot of people would rather Codex not exist at all, than lose their god-given right to behave like juvenile assholes.

Of course the line is absolutely impossible to draw, and the current societal degeneration keeps moving it closer and closer to the corner. But having the common sense to not use explicit racial slurs and talk about gassing the jews all the fucking time - is it really too much to ask?

Codex will never be acceptable in this day and age. But at least by cleaning up the act a bit we can buy a few more years before we're put against the wall.

Reinhardt

Arcane
But having the common sense to not use explicit racial slurs and talk about gassing the jews all the fucking time - is it really too much to ask?
Well, mainstream media is all about kill all whypipo, but that's ok, right? When Shaneekwa Mbongo and Moshe Rosenblum doing it it's different after all.

Gastrick

Cipher
Taluntain is the one with the servers and he lives in America. Australian law doesn't matter.

Taluntain is blaming all the timeouts on a fairly wide, recent server problem throughout the U.S.
(I don't think he'd mind me sharing this post)

Taluntain is Slovenian.
Didn't know that.

This is what the laws say in Slovenia (usually these laws are not enforced when its on the internet either way, and in countries where they are, it is only on social media (except Russia and China)).

n3msK9p.png

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Only one word huh? I'm 100% sure it will stay there and definitely not turn into something worse like what happens every single other time.

Can you actually read? He fucking says it in plain English.

It is not about a single word. It is about niggardly behaviour over all. And does prove the point rather splendidly, a lot of people would rather Codex not exist at all, than lose their god-given right to behave like juvenile assholes.

Of course the line is absolutely impossible to draw, and the current societal degeneration keeps moving it closer and closer to the corner. But having the common sense to not use explicit racial slurs and talk about gassing the jews all the fucking time - is it really too much to ask?

Codex will never be acceptable in this day and age. But at least by cleaning up the act a bit we can buy a few more years before we're put against the wall.

Oh my sweet summer child. To be young and naive again.

The Codex WILL not exist if it goes down this path. Others have pointed out, if we end up as just another safe space where we can't hear doubleplusungood words that hurt our fee fees, everyone will fuck off to a different safe space because at least their community is bigger and they're honest about their corporate cock-sucking.

Are there some assholes who take advantage of the free nature of this place and go overboard? Sure. But there has to be a better way of dealing with it.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
What is more likely:

That the word filter is supposed to "nudge" people towards using less racial slurs, as DU says?

Or that there has not been enough drama lately and he is doing this for shits and giggles?

we-dont-know-dont-know.gif

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The Codex WILL not exist if it goes down this path. Others have pointed out, if we end up as just another safe space where we can't hear doubleplusungood words that hurt our fee fees, everyone will fuck off to a different safe space because at least their community is bigger and they're honest about their corporate cock-sucking.

Are there some assholes who take advantage of the free nature of this place and go overboard? Sure. But there has to be a better way of dealing with it.

You can be a mean, hurtful asshole without using RAYCIST words. That's how Codex used to be. We got called nazis before being a nazi was cool.

Glittering gems of hatred.

Not monkeys slinging poop.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
On the posting news items, I have another question:
Back when Roqua was still posting here, he used to complain that we didn't have news articles on the "good" rpgs(aka rpgmaker clones) he liked. Knowing that, what is to avoid someone to post rpgmaker clones on front page? Infi will gatekeep what is posted there?
On the other hand, if Infinitron, or someone else, gatekeep what is being posted there, people will just give up since they think they are wasting time writing news articles that are not going to be posted.
If you really want help on that I think it's fair to explain what is going to be allowed and what is not. I also consider those dev diary quite annoying when you post every single one of them(back in PoE 1 and 2 it was fucking annoying), might as well just post a resume of the last few and the links for people to look it if they want.
It's sad when you go to the front page and there is only articles on the same game, but it also sucks that no one wants to help so that we have more interesting games being mentioned. Front page do help some devs since they don't need to look around the forum to see if their indie game is being talked here, so they get expositions, they post here and we learn more about their game.

There is less gatekeeping on the front page than you'd think. What you take for gatekeeping is the jew just being too lazy or having no interest in things that don't appear at E3. In the event of blatant semitic refusal to act, you can always tag friend roxor.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
On the other hand, if Infinitron, or someone else, gatekeep what is being posted there, people will just give up since they think they are wasting time writing news articles that are not going to be posted.
Just a regular reminder: Infinitron completely ignored Codexian old-school blobber of highest quality - Note of the Outskirts. When Darth Roxor finally posted news about it, someone, probably Infi or DU himself, reverted back its date, effectively burying and deleting any NotO mention on the main page.
So much for "We talk about RPGs here!"
You talk like people who discuss the last coon news and darkie debaucheries are not discussing CRPGs in the same time. Yep, we have some fellow travellers, mostly Gamergate refugees, who never played Pool of Radiance or Wiz7 in their worthless life, but think why they are here. Internet becomes smaller and smaller. Soon, it will be your turn, faster than you could say "perkele", oh my scion of land of Rape and Honey.

Last edited:
I don't really care how to call african americans, негр и негр, but the slippery slope is real. DU himself used the term "sighting shot", or something to this effect. I don't really post in GD, and I think that anyone who posts exclusively there must be tied to a wall and forced to play all Goldboxes for a few times. Still – the slippery slope. At first there's one word in word filter, blink - and there's hundreds. First they'll ban GD - then the bans for offtoptic posting starts, and the definition of offtopic will include all *current year* sensibilities. You don't like "accessibility" aka dumbing down games? Then you're an ableist. Don't really care for uglyfication of female characters and sissyfication of male ones? Sexist and misogynist! Against mandatory trannification of characters in games? Transphobic! You get the gist. Yes, right now it seems like fearmongering, but I've seen too many communities to implode this way for ignoring this situation.

Cael

Arcane
I don't really care how to call african americans, негр и негр, but the slippery slope is real. DU himself used the term "sighting shot", or something to this effect. I don't really post in GD, and I think that anyone who posts exclusively there must be tied to a wall and forced to play all Goldboxes for a few times. Still – the slippery slope. At first there's one word in word filter, blink - and there's hundreds. First they'll ban GD - then the bans for offtoptic posting starts, and the definition of offtopic will include all *current year* sensibilities. You don't like "accessibility" aka dumbing down games? Then you're an ableist. Don't really care for uglyfication of female characters and sissyfication of male ones? Sexist and misogynist! Against mandatory trannification of characters in games? Transphobic! You get the gist. Yes, right now it seems like fearmongering, but I've seen too many communities to implode this way for ignoring this situation.
All of what you have mentioned is already happening to movies. What makes you think that it is fearmongering to say it will happen?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yeah it isn't going to stop at single words.

Most of these hate speech/offence laws are based on things that would offend a "reasonable" person. Just because slurs aren't used doesn't mean the intent of statement isn't extremely obvious.

Even worse, it's usually some judge that decides whether something would be offensive.

It might reasonably start with banning slurs (if that was all that happened, who would really care?), but it'll end up expanding in scope.

The "hate speech" or "offence" goal posts in Australia (and most of the west) are going to continue to move constantly until almost anything you say can potentially be criminalised.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
There's 5-10% gamers who are SJW. They will Reee about big boobs and the journos will write "gamers outraged by big boobs" like it's a representation of the majority. Then the studios read this and go "huh, well the boobs must go then".

Then the majority comes in and says "no we're not". But the current western political ideology is that of silencing dissent, and so the majority is silenced, creating a powerless anger.

So they end up here, where they can at least talk about it to let some steam off. Where now the administration is also silencing them. It's all too familiar.

The politics came into gaming accidentally through the most radical leftist agenda of forcing everyone to be equal. Equal to the point of being clones with the same thoughts. It's a very aggressive agenda. Pretending gaming can be politics free in current ideology is now a distant memory.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why can't we just change the word filter to something funny so no one will mind it being applied? I mean the undomesticated snowman thing was not entirely unfunny.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Those of us who have been part of the Wild West era of the internet, be it on this website or elsewhere, are lucky to have known, even for a few years, such a time of freedom of expression and intellectual creativity. It was an artifact of the times. People complaining now about the censorship of one word they have never uttered out loud in their entire life probably don't remember there was a time before internet's Golden Age (golden in the same way that dung is brown gold), when actions had consequences and there was more to socializing than being an edgy idiot (even if I do agree it can be fun for a while when everybody's playing the same game).

Law is now enforced on the internet. As the owner of a website nobody's visiting, I have receive on my personal email lawyer messages from Japan asking to remove some pictures of a girl who used to do naked modelling but straightened out and wanted her name clean on the web. I have been admin on a small forum which got in trouble because some guy wrote a funny text on how to kill yourself. Suicide apology is a crime in France and we had to take the text out. I can only begin to image the headache of managing such a huge forum as RPG Codex, in particular in this plague time when everybody's tired and angry and lawmakers aren't getting smarter.

Not to sound overly negative, here are the naked pictures, without name but with boobs :
838f4b6058eb.jpg

Last edited:

Camel

Scholar
I seriously don't understand why this word is the unspeakable thing. Not that I support it, but it's pretty tame when compared to the myriad other elements that are at least just as heinous, such as emoticons about Hitler and Jews, posts advocating for genocide and God knows what.

If Australian courts want to one day possibly have an excuse to come after this board they literally have a giant buffet to choose from.
Using that word is mortal sin for the woke left and they will cancel anyone and anything with it.
“Anti-racists” ban and want to ban “To kill a mockingbird” “Huckleberry Finn”.

Greek Anime God

Scholar
So they end up here, where they can at least talk about it to let some steam off. Where now the administration is also silencing them. It's all too familiar.
The long arm of the law caught up with the tech. Either you go for another jump in tech to where the government and big money can't reach you or you will have to adapt to the new situation. Aren't you a communist? You should know this. Don't expect DarkUnderlord to go to pound-my-ass kangaroo jail for you. The soviet union lasted almost a century only through squeezing people who didn't get with the program and they didn't have access to the distractions the current order provides people with and not the reach either. Sure, they could listen in on your calls, but what the modern state and corporations know about you is enough to make the Stasi blush. Since DU isn't about to hand over the site to you, as fun as that might be, you just have to learn how to play by the rules that the people in charge set. Because they are so powerful you will be able to make mods here start dancing to your tune before you know it. You have less privilege than Crispy, so you should be able to replace him soon. In fact, aren't you both black and disabled? That warrants some signal boosting and special treatment.

Play the game. Demand more censorship, attack moderates, accelerate.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Internet becomes smaller and smaller. Soon, it will be your turn, faster than you could say "perkele", oh my scion of land of Rape and Honey.

Oh, no doubt about it. Already can see it at the corp. whore working life.

We can't safely hire anyone under the age of 35. And women of all ages are a risk.

Just wait 'till those kids become managers and executives. They are completely indoctrinated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom