Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Why was mondblut banned?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
If DU is actually afraid of the law, filtering a single word won't help him.

He's only bound to the law because he chooses to.

I have to defend DU here and point out that this was implemented not because he wanted it

Same here.

It's fucking simple. Transfer the site's server and the domain name to a moderator or team member from the US, or form an LLC. You're not bound to the Australian law unless you specifically decide to. The job got slightly harder, but you're spending effort on the word filter that could be spent on actually solving the problem.

Remember, this isn't our (DU's) decision.

Taking an easy decision to cover your own ass after over a decade of running the site for free is one thing, even though it should be thoroughly mocked. But you take the prize for simping and rationalizing all this bullshit.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Transfer the site's server and the domain name to a moderator or team member from the US
:nocountryforshitposters:

Yeah,kwan,the country known for its freedom and lack of bias. You will have better luck sending the servers in fucking china. Because all those servers in kwan land are protected from the globohomo lol. Also he would still be responsible as the owner,as he is a citizen of australia.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The filter isn't going to save your ass if someone was to leak any of the GD threads to the feds. So what are you going to do?

Pointless to argue against a decision that he's already made. How about waiting for a week for them to come back and running a poll in GD?

Also he would still be responsible as the owner,as he is a citizen of australia.

Owner is the legal entity in charge of the site.

Lambach

Arcane
Same here.

It's fucking simple. Transfer the site's server and the domain name to a moderator or team member from the US, or form an LLC. You're not bound to the Australian law unless you specifically decide to. The job got slightly harder, but you're spending effort on the word filter that could be spent on actually solving the problem.

This is probably too much effort considering how little of an "obstacle" the current word filter is, but if Kim-Jong Un Scott Morison keeps passing laws like this, well, we're going to find out how much DU cares about this place pretty quick.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Also, GD is already inaccessible to outsiders so why would bad language be an issue there. I assume Google can't parse it either so nobody is going to search for the bad wrong words and find this place.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I want to address this because you've raised it a few times.

Name a single member of the Codex moderation team who is a US citizen. User's that come to mind: Saint_Proverbius. Has anyone seen him lately? He was presumed dead for years. VaultDweller (Canadian but close enough). Take a look into our history to see what VD wanted to do to the userbase. Crispy. You want me to give the Codex to Crispy? Calis. Also presumed dead. Has also actively said he didn't want to run the forum side of things.

I've been here for 20 years. In that time, which is an eternity on the internet, how many other administrators have you seen who you'd like to take over from me? Name one. Infinitron?

In that 20 years, how many coders and server technicians have you seen willing to step up and actually do something, physical things, that ensure this website remains online and functioning?

You say there's some "easy" decision here but I've been looking for 20 years.

Greek Anime God

Scholar
This is us saying: "Hey guys, it's been fun, but tone it the fuck down a notch would you?" In the exact same way that you might see a video of a certain type of individual assaulting someone on the street and think, "those types of people need to be given a bit of authority, so that they learn that's not how to behave".

We're doing the exact same thing, only to certain people here.
Ban yourself for a week for calling mondblut the n-word using racist dogwhistles. Don't think the government watchdogs can't read between the lines.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
While i agree this is pure decline, you can't really put DU at fault when he risks prison for hosting an edgy arpigees forum because he lives in a totalitarian shithole. He is actuallt trying to minimize the damage on the codex by simply implementing a world filter for one word, and the bans are not permanent. If he was in bad faith or didnt care about the forum at all he would have gone full woke . So while i don't get why he doesn't step down and/or host the site in some other country, i also respect him and i think he is doing its best to preserve the codex

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I've been here for 20 years. In that time, which is an eternity on the internet, how many other administrators have you seen who you'd like to take over from me? Name one. Infinitron?

So your argument is "You need me because the staff I chose is even worse"?

No, he's saying you're running your mouth but when push comes to shove you're not putting in any work. You're the ideas guy asking a game dev to develop a game for him

Lambach

Arcane
You want me to give the Codex to Crispy?

how many other administrators have you seen who you'd like to take over from me? Name one. Infinitron?

I mean, as horrible as that sounds now, it would probably be a better option than adopting some strict speech codes similar to other currently active vidya Forums, handing out bans for casual slurs etc.

In that 20 years, how many coders and server technicians have you seen willing to step up and actually do something, physical things, that ensure this website remains online and functioning?

Isn't Taluntain the one in charge of that type of stuff? :M

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

No, he's saying you're running your mouth but when push comes to shove you're not putting in any work. You're the ideas guy asking a game dev to develop a game for him

I'm not asking for anything except to give the issue the serious attention it requires and to take our concerns seriously. When another poster says it is possible to avoid aussie law I assume they're not completely wrong. Other much worse sites have ways to get by too.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
The filter isn't going to save your ass if someone was to leak any of the GD threads to the feds. So what are you going to do?
If that happened, and we actually did get into serious trouble, the Codex would be taken offline. Probably by the Government.

So, you know, feel free to keep pushing it. It's all shits 'n giggles in the end amirite.

:lol: You think we choose staff? It's more a case of finding people who feel like wasting their lives posting shit about RPGs while dealing with a bunch of idiots like yourself. No one gets paid for this. Woke central ResetEra might be worth millions but we're not worth shit.

Or what, you'd get off your lazy ass and devote some of your time to posting news items and fixing the back end when things break instead of shit-posting?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Or what, you'd get off your lazy ass and devote some of your time to posting news items and fixing the back end when things break instead of shit-posting?

I would, actually. You seem to be under the mistaken impression that the people who criticize you here are somehow against the Codex or only want the freedom to say bad words. I can't speak for the others but I am confident we all want the best possible site we can make.

E: And regarding the GD leak scenario - You know full well why I asked that. Again, the filter as it stands won't save you. It is not some kind of balance you're striking.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member

I would, actually. You seem to be under the mistaken impression that the people who criticize you here are somehow against the Codex or only want the freedom to say bad words. I can't speak for the others but I am confident we all want the best possible site we can make.
That's great! Infinitron will set you up with news posting access. We'll see how you go from there.

What's your coding experience?

Lambach

Arcane
Yeah,kwan,the country known for its freedom and lack of bias. You will have better luck sending the servers in fucking china. Because all those servers in kwan land are protected from the globohomo lol. Also he would still be responsible as the owner,as he is a citizen of australia.

Well, as nuts as Kwa is, they, unlike Australia, still haven't passed a law that allows a cop to log into your accounts on social media, post illegal shit like n!gger, claim you did that, and arrest you for it. So yeah, Kwa would be the better option, as tragic as that sounds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom