Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Why was shoutbox banned?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
OH COME THE FUCK ON, Turtle Zone had ZERO drama incidents and we get shitcanned alongside them? Removing functionality because some people used it in "problematic" fashion is simply gay. Just admit shoutbox was never a problem UNTIL you decided to put a certain individual on a pedestal and he went on to make as many enemies as possible since he believed The Administration™ had his back. Turns out the protected individual was a troon and now the whole community must suffer because of a single lie by omission (that made admins horny, apparently).

That's nonsense dude, reestablish Turtle Zone, please.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Good riddance.

I thought you were here to discuss games? Because if you think this is a step in the right direction, I'm afraid you will be proven wrong. Both those places and GD are containment zones. They are needed to provide a space to vent and post OT. You remove a functional part of the forum and all the white noise is going to flood the other, legit gaming discussion boards.

If you think this will somehow reduce drama or cause the discussion to improve, I'm afraid you're incredibly naive for a 2007 account my friend. And if your solution is simply to strong hand moderation as to ban everyone engaging in out of topic, I'm afraid it will excise a good portion of the forums, myself included.

Could be wrong. I sincerely hope this place can be preserved as much as possible but times are changing.

edit: Case in point, as you can see from DU's post just below mine, this move was made to maximize drama, not to help resolving any issue. As far as I'm concerned, I see no reason to argue with the owner of this place. Joggerino, edit is for you too since you disagree.

Last edited:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
OH COME THE FUCK ON, Turtle Zone had ZERO drama incidents and we get shitcanned alongside them? Removing functionality because some people used it in "problematic" fashion is simply gay. Just admit shoutbox was never a problem UNTIL you decided to put a certain individual on a pedestal and he went on to make as many enemies as possible since he believed The Administration™ had his back. Turns out the protected individual was a troon and now the whole community must suffer because of a single lie by omission (that made admins horny, apparently).

That's nonsense dude, reestablish Turtle Zone, please.
1. I thought everybody assumed Theo was a tranny, given Codex history. I actually don't know. Nor do I care. Scrooge and Crooked Bee are about the only two users I suspect of being legitimate womynz and that's with some suspicion.

2. It's clear that half the forum (and 100% of shoutbox) is fixated on whether Theo is indeed a real womynz or a pretend womynz. This is about 90% of the reason I made he/she/it a mod. It's funny to watch you guys obsess.

3. I made a hip and cool comic about drama a few months ago. If it wasn't this, there'd be drama over something else. The need for drama is strong on the Codex.

4. There have been many ongoing accusations that the TZ groups obsession was getting out of hand. I do note that half of said regulars in said group are already on the shitlist or have been at some stage. And Jenkem. It seems everyone hates Jenkem but prefer talking about Theo. I highly suspect that if Theo was gone, Jenkem would be drama-central next.

5. Taking action to "stop the drama" is going to mean banning half the forum, and not the half you think. I see both sides equally to blame. So about 1/4 of users get nuked for their obsession and the other 1/4 get nuked just to be fair. In my opinion, I've seen the drama goes both ways. I can't fairly take action against one without taking action against the other.

So for now, shoutbox is gone. I expect there to be a lot of drama over this.

Mongoloids making a feature too much of a nuisance get feature removed, experts baffled

congratulations-neon-genesis-evangelion.gif

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
1. I thought everybody assumed Theo was a tranny, given Codex history. I actually don't know. Nor do I care. Scrooge and Crooked Bee are about the only two users I suspect of being legitimate womynz and that's with some suspicion.

2. It's clear that half the forum (and 100% of shoutbox) is fixated on whether Theo is indeed a real womynz or a pretend womynz. This is about 90% of the reason I made he/she/it a mod. It's funny to watch you guys obsess.

3. I made a hip and cool comic about drama a few months ago. If it wasn't this, there'd be drama over something else. The need for drama is strong on the Codex.

4. There have been many ongoing accusations that the TZ groups obsession was getting out of hand. I do note that half of said regulars in said group are already on the shitlist or have been at some stage. And Jenkem. It seems everyone hates Jenkem but prefer talking about Theo. I highly suspect that if Theo was gone, Jenkem would be drama-central next.

5. Taking action to "stop the drama" is going to mean banning half the forum, and not the half you think. I see both sides equally to blame. So about 1/4 of users get nuked for their obsession and the other 1/4 get nuked just to be fair. In my opinion, I've seen the drama goes both ways. I can't fairly take action against one without taking action against the other.

So for now, shoutbox is gone. I expect there to be a lot of drama over this.

Keep telling yourself that. Good riddance, to the SB but instead of solving the issue you move the goalpost, drama is fun and but there is a price to be paid here.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And if your solution is simply to strong hand moderation as to ban everyone engaging in out of topic, I'm afraid it will excise a good portion of the forums, myself included.
Honestly? Good.
I'd estimate a good third on this forum shouldn't be here to begin with as they mostly just post on GD anyway.

If those people decide to either get their shit together and do the culture war BS elsewhere or just leave, it'll be a boon to the forum.
There are enough places to vent on the net, no need to provide that functionality in a gaming forum.

I'd rather have half as many people here and those that remain actually focusing on the gaming.
But that's just my opinion on the matter, I'm neither staff nor admin. I have no clue what'll happen, either.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Alright, just bear in mind that "our half" is not involved in any criminal activity. As you may probably already know, this forum has attracted the attention of certain...vulnerable individuals over the last few years. One of these vulnerable individuals (Fluent) has been intentionally targeted for harassment by the oh-so-innocent coterie. There's ample proof of coordinated action against Fluent, which included calls for him to take his own life. Now, I'm not an expert on international law or Australian law, but in most places instigating suicide is a crime, and IF the coterie actually succeeds in their goals and Fluent/SDG or any other Codex member takes their own life, there's a fair chance you'll have yet another chat with law enforcement. Because the "half I think" has proven itself to have malicious and actually criminal intent.

Meanwhile, the same can't be said about Turtle Zone & friends. Wondering whether or not a poster is actually female is not a crime. Harassing and stalking SDG and trying to get Fluent to kill himself are actual crimes. There's a very obvious difference between both halves of the userbase. I simply ask that you keep that in mind going forward.

Reina

Arcane
I'd estimate a good third on this forum shouldn't be here to begin with as they mostly just post on GD anyway.

That's just inevitable fact/phase of life for any long-standing forum in the internet. Over time, old users lose interest in main topic of the forum, but stay for community they grew used to.

Well, about as inevitable as any female in male-dominated forum being suspected of being male. :)

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
Alright, just bear in mind that "our half" is not involved in any criminal activity. As you may probably already know, this forum has attracted the attention of certain...vulnerable individuals over the last few years. One of these vulnerable individuals (Fluent) has been intentionally targeted for harassment by the oh-so-innocent coterie. There's ample proof of coordinated action against Fluent, which included calls for him to take his own life. Now, I'm not an expert on international law or Australian law, but in most places instigating suicide is a crime, and IF the coterie actually succeeds in their goals and Fluent/SDG or any other Codex member takes their own life, there's a fair chance you'll have yet another chat with law enforcement. Because the "half I think" has proven itself to have malicious and actually criminal intent.

Meanwhile, the same can't be said about Turtle Zone & friends. Wondering whether or not a poster is actually female is not a crime. Harassing and stalking SDG and trying to get Fluent to kill himself are actual crimes. There's a very obvious difference between both halves of the userbase. I simply ask that you keep that in mind going forward.
Lol kys fagit

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
As you may probably already know, this forum has attracted the attention of certain...vulnerable individuals over the last few years. One of these vulnerable individuals (Fluent) has been intentionally targeted for harassment by the oh-so-innocent coterie. There's ample proof of coordinated action against Fluent, which included calls for him to take his own life. Now, I'm not an expert on international law or Australian law, but in most places instigating suicide is a crime, and IF the coterie actually succeeds in their goals and Fluent/SDG or any other Codex member takes their own life, there's a fair chance you'll have yet another chat with law enforcement. Because the "half I think" has proven itself to have malicious and actually criminal intent.
So go ahead and post the proof. Then contact your local authorities to report this crime.

Let me know how that works out for you.

SDG has harassed and stalked just about everybody from what I've seen. Including making obsessive vlogs about me and my helicopter.

Smart people don't bring my helicopter into this.

In fact, from what I've seen, every single user who blames this apparent "half" for obsessing over them, has either PMs to or conversations, where all they're doing is simping. And simping hard. Even SDG to the point where it was sad and pathetic. He'd literally go from I WANT YOU SO MUCH to making threads shitting all over it and blaming others for his simping.

To the point where I've actually been thinking of making a rule against simping. You simp, you die. You ask for feet pics, you lolz wanna date, send me nudes, or anything of that nature and your account goes bye-bye. Like I said, we'd lose about half the forum.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Honestly? Good.

Good to know you hate so many users.

If those people decide to either get their shit together and do the culture war BS elsewhere or just leave, it'll be a boon to the forum.
There are enough places to vent on the net, no need to provide that functionality in a gaming forum.

Untrue. Not many places allow discussing how ESRB rating is changing gaming and media from the ground up. Not many places allow true dissention since arguing is usually discouraged. Most forums nowadays enforce precisely what you want, the codex is (was?) the exception. What places are left to vent, for those that consider modern gaming trends decline? Legit question, if you can provide some links.

As for the functionality of GD itself, most boards traditionally offered an OT section. You don't like you just ignore it. If those bad posters you refer to only post there, I fail to see how they distort your forum experience so much that you'd be fine throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

I'd rather have half as many people here and those that remain actually focusing on the gaming.
The point is the cut won't be as clean as you think. You must realize that your opinion, as legit as it may be, is contrary to the the spirit of this place? You call it a gaming forum, that's not wrong but denying this place history and notoriety is completely disingeneous. Some of the best posters here, those with an encyclopedic knoweledge of their favoured niche, are here precisely because of the loose moderation rules.
You're sure the half remaining would be worth interacting with? Because I know a number of educated good posters that would simply leave.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom