Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Why'd party-based Diablo clones never become a thing?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Outmind, Jul 27, 2019.

1. vibehunter Educated

vibehunter
    Shadows Awakening is pretty much a party based Diablo style game (albeit you can only control one hero at a time so is it even a party?).

^ Top  
  2. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Prince of Qin eh?

[​IMG]
    GOG needs this. Look at that peasant dance. Burn baby burn. Good shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Main unique feature of Gauntlet IIRC was no matter how good you were you were still pumping quarters in on the regular.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Wasn’t everyone maxed on D3 because Auction House?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Why all the Dungeon Siege hate? You can play as iconic stars..
    [​IMG][​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Maybe you weren't good enough. To be fair, I was clearing with ease either on consoles or home computer as some fucktard busted up the Gauntlet machines in the arcade. Fucking coke bottle right through the screens. Asshole!

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Most advanced console at that time was Colecovision so unlikely. Could play Rolling Thunder and Bump and Jump indefinitely though Gauntlet was my fave but could never really afford it. You were basically buying the food that was needed to survive.

^ Top  
  8. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath

Man, he needed to hit those secret rooms. I think he got bored.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    That’s some serious bullet hell there. I got pretty far on original Raiden, Xevious, and r-type but bullet hells always kind of made me sick to my stomach.

^ Top  
  10. Assisted Living Godzilla Cipher

Assisted Living Godzilla
    Well, I'm sure the death of PC gaming in the early 2000s had a little something to do with them never becoming a thing.

Although it is weird nobody really seemed to pick up that Dungeon Siege mantle. I could swear that first one sold really well, pretty sure it was one of the top selling PC games of the time, so it's a bit odd nobody seemed to really pick up where they left off. Even Dungeon Siege 3 didn't for some bizarre reason.

The only things I can really think of that seem in line with what the OP is specifically asking for have already been named. Little surprised to see X-Men Legends and Marvel Ultimate Alliance get name dropped, but not Freedom Force.

^ Top  
  11. flushfire Augur

flushfire
    IMO the 2nd game was a move in the right direction then for some reason Obsidian made an entirely different game which as far as I know nobody asked for. Probably killed any interest left for the series at that point.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Outmind Augur

Outmind

What game? What sequel?

There is no Dungeon Siege 3...

The dungeon Siege franchise died with 2, never to be heard from or seen again. There was some regressive bit of dog vomit they tacked the label onto, but the real DS3 was never made.

^ Top  
  13. baud Arcane Patron

baud
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I wouldn't call Freedom Force a diablo clone. Perhaps you had a different experience, but when I played, I rarely played real-time, but rather pausing giving order to all team members, who don't have any IA of their own

^ Top  
  14. Assisted Living Godzilla Cipher

Assisted Living Godzilla

I wouldn't call it a Diablo clone either, but it's more along the lines of what the OP was talking about than those Marvel games.

^ Top  
  15. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    @OP

Because some genre/mechanics combinations are objectively terrible.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Assisted Living Godzilla Cipher

Assisted Living Godzilla
    But that doesn't explain how there hasn't been more of what the OP is talking about.

^ Top  
  17. Mr. Magniloquent Arcane Patron

Mr. Magniloquent
    The gameplay for Dungeon Siege 1 & 2 is a bit strange. They have more in common with tower defense game than an RPG.

Each character has a shallow primary ability mostly auto-attacks against waves of enemies. You have the ability to direct them, but it's not much different than arranging your tower. The abilities and characters had so little depth and the spells were so simplistic that there wasn't much to do other than concentrate fire or rotate out tank/heal. Most were just entirely generic and just a higher number variant of the previous spell. I think the expansion improved and introduced more involved spells/abilities, but I never played it. Dungeon Siege 2 had a tighter focus with the smaller party, more robust itemization, and a much improved spell/skill list. While being a superior game in every way, it was fundamentally the same quasi-tower defense experience. I did have fun with DS2. I think I completed it twice. Idleness of youth.

Regardless, the mechanics for party-based diablo clones are caught at the nexus of too many different genres and ends up being the least of each of them, rather than the sum.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    Aren't Icewind Dale 1/2 and Temple of Elemental Evil basically Diablo clones with a party?

• No No x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Beyond Divinity also had a party of 2, but I think it had a much colder reception than its ancestor, Divine Divinity, despite having a less retarded title.

Spellforce was also a good exemple indeed. The non army parts did play relatively well, but the characters had a limited set of abilities to make it manageable.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Prince of Qin was too old and made by Chinese so access to their codes is impossible. NO mod at all~

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.