Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Widescreen?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2

4:3 is pretty close to a box (1.333333333)

16:9 is nearly twice as long as it is tall (1.77777777777)

sheek

Arbiter
Bah said:
16:9 is standard DVD widescreen format. 4:3 is standard NTSC tv broadcast format.

Or in other word, for 16:9, the width is 1.77~ times more than the height. And for 4:3, the width is only 1.33~ times the height.

Yeah obviously. For some reason I was thinking the ratio is the same but it's not (would be 12:9).

16:9 is 4:3 squared... A squared TV screen. :?

MountainWest

Scholar
Any news? No support/support? Obviously I cast a vote for support if a Widescreen-option isn't implemented already. 4:3 will probably disappear in a couple of years just as it have in the TV-market.

obediah

Erudite
Roqua said:
my vote is for 600x400

I'm glad you can afford a big old fancy monitor like that, but it better have 3270 support for us working class stiffs.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
I know this topic is nearly a year old since the last post, but I didn't want to make a new topic for my post. So what maximum resolution are you aiming for in Decadence? 800x600 like Eschalon and available in a window, or 1280x1024 and beyond?

Morbus

Scholar
I'd say make the engine moddable at that point with a little ini file in the game's folder where we change the resolutions available. But I don't think that's possible.

So those of YOU with widescreens (or laptops) are just gonna have to squeesh your screens to fit the resolution. Either that or someone has to make a patch.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Jedi_Learner said:
I know this topic is nearly a year old since the last post, but I didn't want to make a new topic for my post. So what maximum resolution are you aiming for in Decadence? 800x600 like Eschalon and available in a window, or 1280x1024 and beyond?

Since the GUI is not scalable, we have two ways to go:
a) make several sets of GUIs and limit resolutions list;
b) allow all supported by videocard resolutions, and make all screens/windows centered.

We'll see what works better.

I'd say make the engine moddable at that point with a little ini file in the game's folder where we change the resolutions available. But I don't think that's possible.
It's not. It depends on your hardware.

bluecuracao

Novice
Flashback said:
b) allow all supported by videocard resolutions, and make all screens/windows centered.

Easy to implement and most effective solution, my favorite! (and no one plays games in a crappy small window, you better make use of all that space that modern monitors give you!)

RAG

Educated
I can't stand window mode in games. It's like running an application or something. I can't immerse my self in a game while watching the desktop background at the sides or when ICQ messages pop up. A minimum wide screen resolution would be nice , but the game centered on the screen would be adequate.

Noceur

Liturgist
I heard they added a "close application" function in the latest ICQ build, so at least you don't have to worry about ICQ messages popping up.

RAG

Educated
if you think that ICQ is my problem with "window mode" then you either fail at comprehension or I fail in English. Either way use what you have between your ears plz.

Noceur

Liturgist
RAG said:
if you think that ICQ is my problem with "window mode" then you either fail at comprehension or I fail in English. Either way use what you have between your ears plz.

I don't like it much myself, but you can hide the Windows menu and make your desktop black (or choose a fitting Roman desktop image to fit the game) and be half-way to Immershun-ville. (That's how I played Eschalon: Book I until I sucked it up and started playing it in fullscreen)

Personally, since the game is 3D, I don't see why the interface can't be stretched while the 3D adapts to the monitor aspect ratio. Or doesn't Torque allow that kind of GUI... stuff?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom