Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Good Old Games
Donate to Codex
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wildermyth - procedural storytelling tactical RPG

mediocrepoet

En français: poètemédiocre!
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's more of a fairytale storytelling than an actual RPG

I figured that was apparent from the discussion ITT. Anyway, I don't think your criticisms are wrong, I get where you're coming from.

For me, I just happened to think the procedural RNG story telling and relationship building between the characters was a breath of fresh air, even though the underlying mechanics are fairly simple and that if you play enough of it, the "veil" quickly falls and you can basically "see" the tables behind it all. This is definitely not a game you want to visit a wiki for or try to min-max at all.

I guess, ultimately, I see this as a game to satisfy a need for something more relaxing that plays quickly. More of a palette cleanser between bigger games than a main event. I thought it was well worth the asking price.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff member
RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
https://www.gamebanshee.com/news/125265-wildermyth-reviews.html

Rock Paper Shotgun Scoreless:

But it was just one story. One of dozens I've had, of hundreds I will have, and one of tens of thousands that people have been having of their own this last week. I cannot possibly express to you how brilliant Wildermyth is nor how fully I recommend you play it and get started on your own. It is one of the best games I have ever played and it will bring you more delight than you thought possible.

COGconnected 85/100:

Overall, Wildermyth is a fantastic addition to the CRPG genre that shows how great procedural generation can be when used smartly. I would highly recommend this game for anyone who is a fan of TTRPGs, maybe even with a couple of friends if your playgroup has been looking for something new to tackle.

Keen Gamer 9/10:

Every aspect of the game is fairly simple. Nothing really drags the game down or carries the game alone, though the character stories are a particular strength. What really makes the game shine is that every aspect of the game complements the others. The developers aimed to create a “myth-making tactical RPG”. I'm not sure I knew what that meant going in, but I do now.

The Indie Game Website 9/10:

On the whole I’m incredibly impressed with Wildermyth. While I was skeptical at first about whether its procedurally-generated narrative events and choices would allow for cohesive character development, its stories are so well-written, funny, and relatable that it’s hard not to be invested in the lives of your motley crew of heroes.

RPG Fan 75/100:

Despite my grievances, this is a competent, tightly developed game. I would argue it’s played even a little too safe. Although a genuinely enjoyable experience, I am shocked at the lack of surprises or variety in storytelling and gameplay. This is a perfect example of a game that needs more time in the oven. I can’t imagine the developers will leave this project behind anytime soon, but I certainly hope updates are free and don’t come in the form of paid DLC — at least for a little while. Wildermyth feels unfinished, but the core is sound.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Don't play if you want a super complex story, with deep characters, the nature of its random generation makes it impossible. But you still get a cast of characters that's evolving, getting into relationships (you can even recruit their children), with a simple turn-based combat system, though I enjoy how the magic work: the mages attune to an object (a tree, a rock, a fire), then cast spell from it, with the spell selection depending on the object.

(or read the last pages, I think the comments are more-or-less on point on the state of the game)

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
The C&C is serviceable, there isnt as much RNG as people think though, there are a lot of scripted events of a random nature mixed in with a story that has a beginning a middle and an end, these campaigns range from boring as fuck to fairly interesting and because they play over the course of several decades you see your characters grow, retire and die. Aging, relationships, forming a family and retiring are all mechanics the game presents to you, so the impact is not just narrative.
There is a fair amount of replayability, but once you master the systems and character building it can get stale.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
yes, there's a central story for each campaign (though you can play without one, but that's p. boring), but there's not a lot of character development from the story, it's mostly coming from the random events (some which are chains, so an event in chapter 1 may unlock a follow up event in the next chapters). So of course the character development depends on what events you get and if you enjoy this type of development, which is different from what we get in stories with set characters

V_K

Arcane
So what's the scripted to generated content ratio here? If I, say, play the same campaign twice but with different characters/choices, will it develop into vastly different directions or it'll be the same story with some details changing here and there?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
So what's the scripted to generated content ratio here? If I, say, play the same campaign twice but with different characters/choices, will it develop into vastly different directions or it'll be the same story with some details changing here and there?
The overarching story in each campaign is predefined, with certain encounters at the end of every chapter (and sometimes to start a chapter). However, not only can your characters differ but you can also receive different events, especially since some of them are connected to particular character traits. Though note that the number of events is only so large, so you might experience repeats simply from playing through several campaigns, much less replaying the same campaign.

hYL7dO5.jpg

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
The strategic game is the only "generated" content, in that the systems dictate monster spawns, territory configurations etc. The meat of the game, the vignettes, are all little prewritten stories. Note prewritten does not mean linear; they all have decision points, skill checks, etc. and can impact character state, inventory and so forth. Also some stories require other stories as prerequisites; example you won't see Return of the Tadpole unless you've already encountered The Frog King Strikes Back.

Note there are hundreds if not thousands of these little stories by now. I don't have exact numbers but even when I played this years ago I saw a ton of different stuff and very few repeats across several campaigns. You will see probably a few dozen randomly selected ones per playthrough, so do the
math_count.png

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
It's not really "as usual". On paper these are all elements we've seen before in some form or another, but the way they're put together and the emphasis on character evolution (not just numbers go up, and not just "you learned Cartwheel Strike") is fresh as hell.

Not saying it'll blow your mind; if you're not ready to lean into how it wants you to feel, it's not hard to pick it apart.

Top Bottom