Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wildermyth - procedural storytelling tactical RPG

ntonystinson

Scholar
https://wildermyth.com

https://af.gog.com/game/wildermyth?as=1649904300
Wildermyth is a character-driven, procedurally-generated tactical RPG, designed to help you tell your wildest stories. Like the best tabletop roleplaying experiences, Wildermyth gives you choices and answers your every decision with consequences that drive your characters forward.

Lead a band of heroes as they grow from reluctant farmers into unique, legendary fighters. Combat unexpected threats and strange monsters across interactive battlefields. Unravel mysteries and share pensive moments in an ever-new fantasy setting that blends hard truths and sacrifice with humor and personal storytelling.

Where does your myth lead? Come help us uncover it!

heroLineup.png

• Reminiscent of tabletop roleplaying, unique heroes are born in unique settings every game. They age, transform, fall in love, disagree, and make harrowing sacrifices.
  • Each hero brings their own organic history and personality with them, but your choices and combat skills are what decide their paths and outcomes.
  • All heroes die someday… but you get to hold on to your favorites. Reintroduce them in the next adventure, and over many lifetimes the myths you make will form your own legendary pantheon.

heroesGorgonSmall.png

An Imaginative Papercraft World
The Yondering Lands, where the game is set, is a richly layered world populated with hand-painted 2D characters and scenery. We’ve paid loving attention to breaking molds and exploring new ideas: no orcs, elves, or goblins here—but watch out for the telepathic insect-dragons and the clockwork undead.

Extreme Character Depth
Each of your heroes has their own unique generated history, personality, and appearance, and will form relationships with your other heroes. All of these elements change and develop over the course of a playthrough, as characters age, encounter mysteries, and overcome challenges.

heroesRelationshipSmall.png

Choices That Matter
Your hero may choose to trust the enigmatic wolf god, leading to a hair-raising change in their appearance and combat abilities. Or they may pursue a romance with a fellow hero, giving each of them a shared buff and more story opportunities. Encounters and events have permanent, character-defining effects, letting you craft the arc of each character.

A New Approach to Death
Did your favorite character get one-shotted by a tentacled horror-bear? Choose to let a hero "fall back" with a maiming that will lead to some transformative new paths in their legend, or let them go out in a blaze of glory to be remembered for generations to come.

heroesDrauvenTower.png

Deep and Creative Tactical Combat
Combat in Wildermyth emphasizes teamwork and careful positioning, as well as imaginative use of your evolving capabilities and surroundings. Walling and Flanking mechanics provide clear but conflicting incentives, while mystical interfusion lets you remake the battlefield with explosive magic. Multiple difficulty levels mean you can get as intense as you want to.

Endless Replayability
Pick and choose from a huge bank of combat abilities as your heroes level up in each playthrough, and decide whether you prefer offensive or defensive tactics, brute strength, stealth, or magically flinging fire from a nearby lamp into your enemies' faces. Procedural generation gives you new heroes, new enemies, new story events, and new maps every time you play.

heroesMentor.png

A Custom Pantheon of Legends
You’ll have the freedom to customize hero appearances, names, histories, and more. As time passes, heroes grow old and may retire, or else might fall in combat—and yes, some will survive all the way to the end. You can add your favorite heroes to a roster of legends and call on them again in later playthroughs. Build your own mythologies and share the awe-inspiring might of your heroes with others.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the sound of this, but the idea of picking whether a character dies or becomes maimed as opposed to that being random chance feels a bit too much like a cheat for my liking.

Also,

960c5725fd98b4e4bba739e85178647608b9f8fe.png

was Jontron notified that his likeness is in the game?

Last edited:

kris

Arcane
i really like the ideas of how the story is created and how characters grow and retire.

There should be several options for how they retire and what their destiny was.

new fucking guy

Scholar
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
EA is out
ai sucks, lots of bad writing, needs more shit. fun for a spin I guess.
basically the goal of this game is to turn your party into a freak show because that's the most entertaining part by far. my dude touched some water and now his skin is sky blue. other girl lost her right arm and got it replaced with a hammer. now she's punching people into walls. I also have wolf people.

Massive Chalice, but better--hopefully? The paper doll aesthetic is charming. Combat looks like it could be overly simple, but I wouldn't despair just yet. Backlog is too long for me to care though. Crowded markets are harsh.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like the sound of this, but the idea of picking whether a character dies or becomes maimed as opposed to that being random chance feels a bit too much like a cheat for my liking.

Actually, you get to choose whenever one hits zero hitpoints: either the character dies heroically (either taking an opponent with him, or making all survivors harder to kill), or retreating him and getting him maimed.
Given that one limb is replaced when the character is maimed, I don't know whether you can redo this forever.

Massive Chalice, but better--hopefully? The paper doll aesthetic is charming. Combat looks like it could be overly simple, but I wouldn't despair just yet. Backlog is too long for me to care though. Crowded markets are harsh.

There is some management, but it is rather about what to do with the characters between battles, rather than having your own kingdom to rule. That said, it is not plagued by the idiotic decisions of MC either (like characters retiring of old age after 3 battles...).

EA is out
ai sucks, lots of bad writing, needs more shit. fun for a spin I guess.
basically the goal of this game is to turn your party into a freak show because that's the most entertaining part by far. my dude touched some water and now his skin is sky blue. other girl lost her right arm and got it replaced with a hammer. now she's punching people into walls. I also have wolf people.

Monster AI is simplistic, but that hasn't bugged me too much yet: the ones I have met usually charge once they detect my characters, but stay idle otherwise. I had more issues with the UI, especially for the caster:
It is hard to know where a monster can attack. Also, the caster has no preview of the range around infused objects.
I had some tough fights(at max difficulty) and got 3 characters maimed out of 4 already.
I found it fun so far, but I have only played less than one hour.

Regarding the freakshow aspect, you can even combine parts!
I have a character with a bird head, and a bear arm.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I agree, the artstyle is extremely generic.
After watching the gameplay video, i'll wait and see if they improve their game by 300% or something, doesn't look that interesting as it is.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Not a fan of the art style, the 3d camera thing with paper looking sprites jumping around looks weird. The characters and art style seem very amateurish made, almost look like programming art, especially the faces. Not to be a dick but there are plenty of indie games with better art style around... cough... Battle Brothers... cough... If they are going for a tabletop look, it would be better that they abstracted things more, for the love of God, remove that jumping tile by tile, if you cant animate, just make the characters look like pieces you move around like pieces on a tabletop board.

There are plenty of ways to hide you are making a game on a budget. This looks way too amateurish for me.

kris

Arcane
I bought the game and it is promising. There are several aspects that feel fresh when it come to the interactive storytelling and character destinies.

All that just need to be expanded upon and I think it could also benefit from a reworked "campaign map".

some things:
- to much story and to few choices.
- After a initial "relationship choice" that seems to just go along with no real change (might come later though or be modded)
- Character development is quite cool and not to restricting.
- I'd like to know how far it can be modded, because I see great potential there.
- not a big fan of the "enemies get stronger en masse" mechanic. If anything I would like to see enemies branch between improved and normal ones.
- Seems you can make your own campaigns in the future.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

In most maps, it works just fine: if characters are maimed, then you withdraw them from the fight, which can snowball into mission failure (while 10 HP damage that ignore armor might be enough to make a big difference).
However, it feels completely idiotic in maps in which you need to extract your party:
Getting everyone maimed except the rogue who can then hide and go to the extraction point without combat to complete the mission feels really cheesy.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This sounded too cool not to try. Two hours in, I really like it. Lots of good stories generated already and as promised I care about the characters.

Trans-Financial-Man - the choice to get maimed isn't a cheat.
1) A character can only be maimed once per chapter - they still die "permanently"* if they go to 0 hp again in a subsequent fight. So it's more like a temporary "cling to life" mechanic which plenty of games use.
2) A "surge of glory" can decide a battle. Even for a number cruncher who wants to avoid casualties, it makes sense to use this in some circumstances. Would you rather sacrifice one guy to kill the boss, or have your last 4 characters all get steamrolled?

*Also, death is only "permanent" for the current playthrough. "Legacy" characters can be reborn in your next timeline.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, this is worth your time and money for sure. I binged hard and stopped cold after three campaigns but am looking forward to the full release someday. Paid full price and def got my money's worth.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Just bought the game and its definitely fun.

I actually like the cartoon comic style, feel like those fantasy web-comics I read a long time ago, and now you are the comic!

Has modding tools as well so hopefully content will keep flowing to the game.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So many Codex recommendations without someone shitting on it? Time to check this one out

ColCol

Arcane
The games main draw is that tells randomly generated stories in a way that feels workable. But combat is fairly simple and last time I played it there were not many options. Lost interest in it quickly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom