Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wildermyth - procedural storytelling tactical RPG

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It certainly is not a combatfag game.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Yeah, this is worth your time and money for sure. I binged hard and stopped cold after three campaigns but am looking forward to the full release someday. Paid full price and def got my money's worth.

Just bought the game and its definitely fun.

I actually like the cartoon comic style, feel like those fantasy web-comics I read a long time ago, and now you are the comic!

Has modding tools as well so hopefully content will keep flowing to the game.

First mission :
- extinguish some fire (get next to it and then click extinguish) --> wow, that's interesting, wasn't i supposed to fight though?
- oh, wait, a monster arrives, got an archer joining, shot the beast once and he rushes toward us going through some fire even if he could easily have avoided it
- and dies from it (seriously, a wild beast charging through a single tile of fire while he could have avoided it?)

And then this:

wildermyth.jpg

I'll spare you the character sheet.

The UI is alright, it could have become an alright tacticool with a better AI, more complexity, specifically in character creation and development and by dropping off the Visual Romance Novel shit.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Probably.
So what was the point?

Was it to make tactical game for 3 years old childs? I doubt it because of the romance and gay stuff.
So, really, i'm at a loss there.
Was it to teach hipsters basic "tactical" mechanism?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Probably.
So what was the point?

Was it to make tactical game for 3 years old childs? I doubt it because of the romance and gay stuff.
So, really, i'm at a loss there.
Was it to teach hipsters basic "tactical" mechanism?

No, it's only tangentially a tactical game in the sense that it needs that in order to frame what it's actually trying to do.
It's a story based game where the story is based on the campaign you've chosen and the random events where you wait and see what sorts of things happen to your characters and when it works well, you actually grow to care about the characters even though they're literally all products of RNG. Like when two of them become romantically entwined and then one dies heroically to save the other, or when two develop a friendly rivalry that push them to greater heights, etc. or even weird things like one starts to mutate which can either be awesome or really terrible.

Approached as a straight tactics game, I'd agree that it kind of sucks. But in terms of seeing emergent storylines and gameplay, I enjoyed it quite a bit other than feeling it needed a lot more content (I haven't touched it since April 2020). If they can fill in the content, I think it'll be a great game. But more like one of those strategic visual novels than say a tactics RPG. If you go into it looking for a tactics RPG, I think pretty much anyone will be disappointed. If you go for a lighter experience that's more based on wanting to see what happens to your guys, I think you'll have a better time. The story emphasis is even implied by the name Wildermyth, which I believe the devs discuss somewhere on their site or something.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Well, it's a shame, how many real grid based tactical games do we get these days?
Most of them have JRPG battlefields with no movement or just from rows to rows and this one has good grid-based battlefields which are absolutely wasted.

If a game like Vagrus picked this kind of battlefield, for example with some good encounter design, it'd be great.

But i'm just ranting, 75% of the games that look alright can't even grab my attention more than half an hour.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, it's a shame, how many real grid based tactical games do we get these days?
Most of them have JRPG battlefields with no movement or just from rows to rows and this one has good grid-based battlefields which are absolutely wasted.

If a game like Vagrus picked this kind of battlefield, for example with some good encounter design, it'd be great.

But i'm just ranting, 75% of the games that look alright can't even grab my attention more than half an hour.

Yeah, I hear ya. Honestly, you're probably better served by looking at (J)SRPGs generally these days. Troubleshooter is Korean, but basically the same thing. Fell Seal got some decent feedback, etc.
I think Wildermyth is cool and has a lot of promise, just not as what you were hoping for.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've got a chunky itch for ... TB combat in an isometric arena, complex, rogue (preferable, not necessary). Any reliable tips? Blackguards? Banner Saga? It's not what I usually play so I'm kindda blind here.
Wildermyth: promising EA game, but with some issues that I didn't track (there were very gamey exploits at times), maybe a bit light on the complexity, but keeping everyone "alive" was not easy when I tried.
Agreed. Judged strictly as a tactics game, Wildermyth rates as "serviceable" and can even be challenging. Its real strengths are character arcs and storytelling. Read more upthread.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Copying my impressions from the general gaming thread, after playing 3 campaigns:

The magic system works by linking the mage to objects in the environment, which allow the mage to cast a spell from the object (so the spell range is measured from the object, which isn't clear at glance and burned me a few times at the start); it also means that the map will play a big part on how useful mages will be, as on a barren map, they'd be useless
Throughout the game, usually before/after the combat phase, there are dialogues sequence that either give bonus for the combat, some loot, stat upgrades or give a hero a transformation, like replacing limbs with rock or wood equivalent or adding animal features (I've seen raven wings). For the transformations, after each chapter, you can allow the transformation to progress or not, giving you stats changes and maybe new skills. I haven't done it, but I guess the transformation can go all the way until the character is transformed into a man-shaped animal.
All the characters are randomly generated and have some personality traits (like poetic, greedy, coward), which will change some of their lines in the dialog sequences and add some hooks for secondary quests
Characters can have relationship between them (romance, rivalry, friendship), which give stat bonus when they're fighting together, but I haven't seen much impact. If enough time pass between the chapters, children of a couple can join you.
Campaigns are divided in chapters and each chapter can be decades apart, with the characters growing old and gaining white hair and wrinkles, until they have to leave the party. Since characters have a limited duration in the party (and can die anyway in combat), there's an incentive to recruit new characters, but I'm finding that they don't grow fast enough compared to older characters, so they'll constantly lag behind
Also there's no inventory management: any item given to a character will belong in perpetuum to them, so it's way harder to bring new characters up to the level of veterans

The game has still some UI issues (shit that's not visible, the rogues can turn invisible, but the skill bar doesn't tell which ones will break stealth)
I'm not totally a big fan of the overland map, but the dev have worked on it since releasing the version I played, so maybe there's hope.

TL;DR: storyfag game full of randomness focused on the randomly generated characters

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/763890/view/5207828453458861883

1.0 Launch on June 15
Wildermyth is coming out of Early Access!

I'm having a hard time typing this. We finally have a date.

It's been a long road for Wildermyth, and there's more to come, too, but we are now ready to call it
complete. We'll be launching on June 15 with another full campaign focused on Drauven, improved Generic Campaign support, Steam Achievements, and hopefully some other fun stuff.

During launch week we'll be running a discount and we have some fun streams lined up as well.

We are incredibly thankful to everyone who played the game in early access and helped us improve it. It absolutely would not have been possible to make this game without you.

Moving forward, we hope to keep working on improving the game past 1.0. Our roadmap is here and you can see there are a few items there marked for future releases.

Much Love,
-Nate and the Wildermyth Team

full release in June.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Released:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/763890/view/4356650745187780043

Wildermyth 1.0
We're leaving Early Access, and we're on sale this week!

Wildermyth has reached 1.0! That doesn't mean we're all done, but it does mean we think it's a complete game and we won't be making big changes to the structure of it. We're coming out of Early Access, and we have a huge patch to celebrate, as well as some awesome content creators who will be working with us through launch week while the game is on sale.

Here's what we're shipping:

All the Bones of Summer
9784450db1298f1dec5deeb39c195a45813d0af0.jpg

A five chapter campaign focused on Drauven. This story follows both human and Drauven heroes over the span of the campaign. It's complex and beautiful and we're extremely proud of it.

Achievements!
Over 50 achievements have been added to the game. Each achievement unlocks a piece of concept art or a theme skin. You can browse your achievements in the legacy browser or on Steam.

Theme Skins
Some themes now have skins that can be unlocked with achievements. Theme skins are cosmetic variants, and once unlocked, they can be chosen in the customize section in the character sheet.

Ability Upgrades
bb639b0d1876bd521ed800bc27202b203ce90409.jpg

When a hero levels up, they will now often see 4 choices instead of 3. The 4th choice is for upgrading an existing class ability or theme attack. This is a very big change to how heroes are built, and we think it will allow players to be more intentional with their builds, and differentiate heroes more.

Generic Campaign Chapters
f4e20631d63501273e2db4b5ed8f9625e7c1e369.jpg

We've revamped our generic campaigns, and it's a huge improvement!

Now instead of seeing generic events, each chapter will have an omen, capstone, and victory events that fit together, with a custom capstone mission. Some chapters also include custom keystone missions. These chapters will be mixed together to create a whole campaign. Some are monster specific, and some work for any monsters, but they all have unique battle maps and stories that match what's going on in the overall campaign. Right now there are over 20 chapters in the game, with several more on the way.

Ok that's a lot of stuff!

Launch Week Schedule
Tuesday: Nookrium
Wednesday: Penny Arcade Acquisitions Inc. C Team
Thursday: ReformistTM
Friday: Paul Soares Jr
Saturday: Seri! Pixel Biologist
Sunday: Blind IRL & friends

The Future
We're super proud of making it this far, but Wildermyth can keep growing. We'll be taking some time to evaluate our best course of action, and we'll make an announcement when we have a firmer idea of what our next steps will be. As always, we will be listening to feedback and fixing bugs. Thank you so much for coming with us on our journey!

-The Wildermyth Team

1.0 Patch Notes
1.0 All the Bones of Summer
New Campaign! A 5 Chapter Story with Drauven
Generic Campaign Events and Maps! (~20 chapters done, more coming)
Many more Mortal Choices added
Final Moment events added (when a hero dies)
Visual and some text updates to Ulstryx
Achievements have been implemented
Achievements unlock concept art
Some Achievements unlock Theme Skins
Theme Skins are cosmetic variations for (some) skins
Abilities can now be upgraded on level up! Ability rebalance!
(A fourth slot for upgrades has been added to the level up screen)
WARRIOR ABILITIES
* Upgraded Backslam: Knock an enemy into another to deal damage
* Upgraded Battledance: Gain free movement after 1st melee attack
* Upgraded Bloodrage: new active ability +2 dmg, can't die this turn
* Upgraded Broadswipes: Double broadswipes damage
* Upgraded Engage: Engages all adjacent enemies, grants +2 armor for each
* Upgraded Paladin: Guardian activates even if you attacked this turn
* Upgraded Raider: double scenery damage, can start fires on enemies
* Sentinel No longer interrupts enemy movement
* Upgraded Sentinel: Interrupts movement
* Upgraded Shieldshear: No cooldown, can use multiple times per turn
* Stalwart now grants a hero armor & warding at the cost of speed
* Upgraded Stalwart: While active, you are immune to status effects
* Upgraded Thundering Challenge: Becomes a small area of effect
* Upgraded Untouchable: Effect doesn't wear off
* Vigilance no longer scales with potency, 2 uses per turn
* Upgraded Vigilance: 4 reaction strikes per turn
* Upgraded Wolfcall: Grants +1 flanking damage to affected heroes
* Upgraded Zealous Leap: Clears pin, can be used every turn
HUNTER ABILITIES
* Upgraded Ambush: Interrupts movement
* Upgraded Archery: +30 defense against ranged attacks
* Upgraded Crippling Strikes: +2 damage vs hobbled foes
* Upgraded Ember Arrows: new active to jump to a nearby blaze
* Upgraded Flashcone: Puts all affected heroes in grayplane, +1 use
* Upgraded Foxflight: Grants 3 automatic dodges instead of 2
* Upgraded Jumpjaw: +1 use, shreds 1 armor
* Upgraded Piercing shots: Ranged attacks shred 1 armor
* Upgraded Quellingmoss: +1 poison to attacks and aoe
* Upgraded Rogue: Attacks against damaged enemies deals +1 damage
* Thornfang no longer scales with potency, 1 use per turn
* Upgraded Thornfang: Can be used three times per turn
* Upgraded Through Shot: hit all in a line -1 dmg each
MYSTIC ABILITIES
* Upgraded Arches: Single action, no cooldown
* Upgraded Compulsion: Becomes a swift action, still once per turn
* Upgraded Earthscribe:
** grants improved HP and range to Bonewall
** +2 temp hp to the Rock Shield ability
** Calcify grants extra +1 armor, warding, and temp hp
* Upgraded Elementalist:
** Infernal Rain now an area of effect
** Splinterblast and splintersalvo +1 damage and hobble.
* Stunning Barrage damage +1, reduced stun chance to 50%
* Upgraded Humanist:
** Shackles deals 2x damage
** Shardnado doesn't expire
** Stunning Barrage 100% chance to stun
* Upgraded Ignite: You can now ignite tiles without debris
* Upgraded Indignance: Damage and Range increase by 1
* Mythweaver: Loredump stuns for two turns on hit
* Upgraded Mythweaver:
** Loredump damage and range increased
** Increases the damage and hobble of Greater Constrict.
** Lightning Learning: book or statue, +3 potency to ally, decays
* Upgraded Naturalist:
** Wild Grasp becomes a swift action.
** Roots and Shoots: single action AOE creates plant scenery
* Upgraded Openmind:
** Increased range of Interfuse
** Withdraw now free
* Upgraded Soulsplitting: 2 damage prevented for each interfusion
* Upgraded Spiritblade:
** Blazing Sword and Burning Arrow now single action attacks
** Heroes walling with an interfused object gain +10 stunt.
* Upgraded Vigorflow: +1 damage and +1 speed per interfusion
COMMON ABILITIES
* Upgraded Aid: +1 use per combat
* Upgraded Bard: Swellsong: +50 stunt to nearby allies
* Bowmaster name changed to Sharpshooter
* Sharpshooter improves all ranged abilities
* Upgraded Sharpshooter: +1 Range with ranged attacks
* Upgraded Endurance: +1 armor and +2 warding
* Upgraded Hardiness: +50% health, +healing rate, +5 retirement age
* Upgraded Heroism: +1 action points
* Upgraded Inspiration: increase aura size and grant 1 warding
* Upgraded Long reach: + 1.6 range to all abilities and attacks
* Upgraded Riposte: when hit, +20 dodge until missed, stacks
* Tinker now grants an ally +3 armor and +2 warding
* Upgraded Tinker: +1 use per combat
* Upgraded Viciousness : +1 damage on melee attacks
* Upgraded Windwalk: +1 use per combat
* Upgraded Wisdom: +10 retirement age, +15 charisma
THEMES
* Theme attack scaling has been halved.
* Themes attacks all have an upgrade ability now
* Upgraded theme attack doubles scaling and +1 base damage
New music for the Legacy Browser!
Reduce monster card draw by 1 for Legacy campaign Ch1,2,3
Dart's Cower ability is removed if they attack while it's active
Stunned removes Dart's Cower ability
Attack Scenery now deals a minimum amount of damage
Into the Underworld visual update
Deeven ranged attack is now magic damage
Reduced terror bird shriek range
Specterstep cooldown is slightly increased
Haunts are now easier to see while using Specterstep
Deafened is now a status effect
Stormthroat bird no longer stacks
Reduced staunching spores range by 1
Choosing a face/hairstyle etc no longer closes dropdown
Generic campaigns can now start with any classes
Temp armor will be used up before permanent armor
Ability buttons now show remaining uses and cooldowns
Horn child flanking attacks now hobble instead of pinning
Gorgon pin lasts for one turn instead of two
New incursion defense map
Incursion and Calamity timers now always show in the HUD
New interfusion particles
Multiplayer: Camera adjustments
Fix a rare map gen issue in Eluna
Fix a bug with bards and big thrusks on plot maps
Fix completed objectives showing particles
Fix a bug with always on mods settings for new games
Fix bug where legacy backup zip had wrong file extension
Fix issue where some large monsters looked blurry
Fix a bug where sentinel wouldn't take weapon range into account
Fix a bug where immune would show up when it shouldn't
Fix a bug where indignance could hit enemies through walls
Fix a bug with non-weldlings having the weldling aspect
Fix a bug where into the fire event was missing a proper name
Fix a bug where the game console showed lots of backened text
Fix a bug where a mortal choice could prevent a hero from dying
Fix a bug with compulsion feedback
Fix a bug where generic intros offered romance options to family members
Fix a bug where Ambush and Sentinel applied debuffs even if they missed
Fix a bug with campaign-only aspects showing up multiple times
Fix a bug where stasis'd creatures could gain and give walling bonuses
Fix a bug where guardian only used one-hand version of theme attacks
Fix a bug where haunt could move twice and attack afterwards
Fix a bug where tree-arm attack could deal 0 damage
Fix a bug where heroes controlled by other players were autoselected
Fix a bug where multiplayer would show interfusion feedback poorly
Fix a bug where Rockshield value wouldn't be removed after being attacked
Fix a bug where amounts in entity tooltips would show up incorrectly
Fix a bug where Weldling's firewall targeted heroes incorrectly
Fix a bug where the Chastised could target heroes in grayplane
Fix a bug where the Chastised could ignore being Engaged
Fix a bug where monsters standing on two fires don't take damage
Fix a bug where taking poison damage would remove blind
Fix a bug where dealing damage to scenery would remove blind
Fix a bug where Terrorbird's inspire would remove blind
Fix a crash bug
Fix some typos
Tools: 8-tile monsters can now be created

Polanski

Scholar
This looks like such a well-made and unique little game. I came here to get some opinions before buying and am honestly surprised no-one is talking about it.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, guess I can look at it again now that the release is done.
I wonder how storyfags take to this though, given the part random events and the procedural wossface.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/wildermyth-review/

WILDERMYTH REVIEW
A legend-building RPG that deserves to define the next decade.

If you're interested in narrative, there's a theoretical game you've already dreamed about. It's an impossible fusion of deliberately crafted stories and pure systems-driven anecdotes, all lending themselves to stories of your own like procedurally generated bricks.

Wildermyth is that game. It is real. And it is wonderful. This tactical RPG imbues your every fantasy adventurer with life, turning dynamic character hooks and subplots into people you recognise and cherish. Funny and thoughtful and painfully mortal people.

Campaigns start with a few randomised heroes defending their home. They'll mean nothing to you at first, in their opening fight. Just a jumble of pieces, an old police composite. But soon things will start to happen. While travelling to the next encounter, they'll rescue a chicken. Your hunter will refuse to enter a village, and a prompt will ask if you want to press them. You'll notice two of your party have formed a rivalry, and are getting bonuses to their critical hit ("stunting", a far better term) chance as they one-up each other.

And then they die. Except... probably not right away. When someone falls, you choose what happens. They could escape but lose a limb. Someone could push them aside, permanently injuring herself to save her friend. Or you could let them die, but take their attacker down with them. This sounds like a bad trade, tactically. But before long you'll do it, because it feels right. It's the right time for it, and how they'd want to go.

Across multiple chapters, you'll explore a strategic map, scrubbing away gross monster vibes, seeing off ambushes, and fortifying areas to fend off periodic invasions. You'll build workshops, restore cultural sites, and have side adventures. And small things start to matter.

At every step, there's a chance for a vignette between characters. Everything is contextualised by excellent micro-stories that turn a series of fights into an arc you co-author with the developers. Events you've seen before will vary with personality traits and relationships. And all the time, monsters grow stronger, and heroes age. Rushing to the end goal means the enemy gain fewer powers, but leaves the land infested, giving the world fewer years of peace.

I was too slow in one chapter, and never unravelled the enemy plot. By the finale the world was saved, but permanently marred. Another group won fourteen years of peace between chapters. Things happen during peacetime, too. A hero might fall in love, take up painting, or walk off one night, and return months later withdrawn and sad. My latest retired to become a judge, imparting her wisdom to the daughter of the friend who died saving her life.

Wildermyth integrates all this wonderfully into its design. Lower difficulty levels are a robust roleplay with the drama in your hands. The middle is a perfect blend of tactical and character-driven decisions. At its hardest it's a bloody, desperate war across multiple generations. It's satisfying growing your fragile starters to champions, but it's using those old hands to protect and teach the young ones that's key. Items you replace can't be redistributed, which seems illogical but means you differentiate everyone over being efficient, and give good items to weaker members who need them more. Think like a hero who helps their youngers, not a tosser who hogs all the best gear.

Levelling encourages roleplaying too. When you level up, you choose one skill out of a random four from a far longer list. There are always good choices mechanically, but frankly you're playing it wrong if you're not prioritising skills that suit their personality. When young Shay first levelled, she'd just lost her brother Uvwane, so of course she took a first aid skill over better magic. She doesn't want to lose someone like that again.

But Uvwane lives on. The dead or retired become available as "legacy" heroes that a later group can recruit as an already-skilled youth. One campaign even started with one of my B-listers from an earlier game, Parelle. She'd never really got her time to shine, but now she's the leader of her own adventure pals, including one from a game in 2019.

That's why you'll replay the campaigns: you're creating a mythology. Imagine in-world villagers hearing these tales, their details becoming jumbled in the retelling. Edien was the Thrush Rascal who found the Library of Light. No, Deestan found the library, they were in the Unbroken String together. But Edien protected the Thrush Rascals when Logsa was killed in the final battle against the Gorgons. Logsa didn't die, she just lost her leg! It's in all the pictures. That's why she's in the Vine Sisters story. No! Logsa wasn't a Vine Sister, you're thinking of Lunantha, she joined them after Parelle left to form the Stone Maidens. No no, Parelle was the one who—I could write about them all night. And so could everyone who plays it. It's magical.

It has tactical chops too. Classes matter, but no two hunters are alike. Every story beat can affect combat. Each weapon type, each skill, whether or not you dipped your hand in that strange fountain, changes what a person does on the battlefield. Combining skills is tremendously rewarding, and a major challenge at the truly brutal higher difficulties. The magic is worth a whole article. Mystics fight by 'interfusing' with scenery items. Borrow stone from an archway to protect your archer. Blind enemies with lampflares. Interfuse with trees and explode them at a crowd, shattering their armour so your maceman can lunge in and whack them into the fire your sentinel set with the power she inherited from an old shrine last year.

It pains me, then, to report that Wildermyth still has frustrating parts. Campaigns and battles alike can reach a point of no hope with everyone so fragile. Some of the chapter finales border on trial and error, which is a horrible shame after you've won a beautifully tense victory on your first go in the last one. Incursion defences, maddeningly, give no control over where your people start even after a month of fortifying the map. And it desperately needs an order confirmation option. I cannot believe how often I have to say this in 2021.

But I am utterly in love with Wildermyth. With this full release bringing it to five main campaigns and fleshing out endless generic ones, it will satisfy your RPG craving like nothing else.

THE VERDICT

WILDERMYTH
Narrative design as genetic engineering, it will live in your head like an imaginary friend.

just

Liturgist
i avoided it at first coz of story-rich tag but said fuck it i'll just skip if it's too much
but to my surprise whole first campaign contains less words than an average convo in something like poe. big plus

random chars progression is fun
mage got a storm arm from some event, then it growed to her head, then other arm, legs and is now she is THE STORM
one chick got a splinter, i left it in and she later developed a tree arm and i could bash enemies with it
one dude is slowly transforming into a bear, i hope he can go full bear
probably alot more of this shit i ahve yet to discover

combat is ok. can get hard but im also shit
there are romances but i havent indulge into any coz there was no time for such things in my virgin killing party. one chick did gave birth during chapters and the daughter was included in the party (do wonder how chlidren of a bear char would look like)
theres quite a bit of mods already which is my next step
theres also campaign editor so you can create your own shit

all in all, not super deep but just enough so you can have fun and not autistically minmax

baud

Arcane
Patron
i avoided it at first coz of story-rich tag but said fuck it i'll just skip if it's too much
but to my surprise whole first campaign contains less words than an average convo in something like poe. big plus

random chars progression is fun
mage got a storm arm from some event, then it growed to her head, then other arm, legs and is now she is THE STORM
one chick got a splinter, i left it in and she later developed a tree arm and i could bash enemies with it
one dude is slowly transforming into a bear, i hope he can go full bear
probably alot more of this shit i ahve yet to discover

combat is ok. can get hard but im also shit
there are romances but i havent indulge into any coz there was no time for such things in my virgin killing party. one chick did gave birth during chapters and the daughter was included in the party (do wonder how chlidren of a bear char would look like)
theres quite a bit of mods already which is my next step
theres also campaign editor so you can create your own shit

all in all, not super deep but just enough so you can have fun and not autistically minmax

I don't think you can direct romance at all, it just happens randomly (if you've enabled the option)

welly321

Scholar
Whats the character development in this game like? Are there tons of skills and abilities? Is it as tactical as games like Dungeon of Neheulbeck or Blackguards? I'm itching for a new turn based RPG and dont feel like dropping $40 on Solasta.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whats the character development in this game like? Are there tons of skills and abilities? Is it as tactical as games like Dungeon of Neheulbeck or Blackguards? I'm itching for a new turn based RPG and dont feel like dropping $40 on Solasta.
Don't come here for the tacticool man.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Run, you fool!
It's a bad visual novel with nice battle-scapes and almost alright combat.

Grab Warbanners, Vigilantes and Dungeon Rats instead.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
This was a lot of fun in EA. Now that it's fully released, I may have to go back and take a dip.

I may have to load it up again as well.

Played it for a while, but then dropped it and moved on. Main reason is that all the characters I had grown attached to were getting old and I didn't want them to be replaced by newer characters. I suppose that just meant I was attached to them, though. It was tough enough when I lost one of the characters along the way (letting him die so that he could take out the last boss in a combat so everyone else could survive).

This game does its own thing and does it well. That's a good thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom