Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wildermyth - procedural storytelling tactical RPG

Polanski

Scholar
I played 3 hours so far and am loving it. While the narratives are generated, the writing is minimal and great. The combat is simple but really satisfying and challenging. I am playing on the one-step-above-normal mode, and just lost the final battle of chapter 1 in the first story. Iron-man mode, so no do-over.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I like that the randomly generated events really do create a narrative that can suck you in and get you attached to your RNG characters, whether due to rivalries, romances, heroic last stands, etc. The issue for me in EA was really that I could start to see the repetition of events relatively quickly. It sounds like they've taken some steps to try and address that, so hopefully the illusion will persist a bit longer. Either way, it's great while it lasts, or possibly, in short bursts so you have time to be a bit more fuzzy in your memories when you play a different scenario.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This was a lot of fun in EA. Now that it's fully released, I may have to go back and take a dip.

I may have to load it up again as well.

Played it for a while, but then dropped it and moved on. Main reason is that all the characters I had grown attached to were getting old and I didn't want them to be replaced by newer characters. I suppose that just meant I was attached to them, though. It was tough enough when I lost one of the characters along the way (letting him die so that he could take out the last boss in a combat so everyone else could survive).

This game does its own thing and does it well. That's a good thing.

good thing you can reuse heroes from one campaign to the next

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Charming game, in terms of aesthetics and story-telling, though the combat is overly simplistic and the exploration is lacking.

IDP8sjd.jpg

Lhynn

Arcane
Been playing it nonstop for the past 3 days, its pretty fucking great. There are a few things that it does right that im a sucker for:

- Random encounters: There are many, can have long lasting consequences to your character and are fairly creative
- Fairly deep character building: a feat on every level that changes how your character plays.
- Good itemization: While the bonuses look small, they are huge, as the game works with small numbers, so even a +0.5 can a big leap if it rounds you to another +1 on a constantly tested stat. Add to that the different weapon types, each with their own thing, elemental weapons and artifacts.
- Ability to export characters as a game mechanic: Once you are done with the story you can still bring back old characters. Old characters with all the changes they went through in their campaign, only losing their level.

Ive gone through 4 campaigns, one of them i did twice. The game can get pretty challenging, especially in the longer campaigns, where your fighters retire from old age (Usually your hunter will drop in the last chapter or barely make it in, your mystics will last through 5 chapters).

There are 3 classes:

Fighters: Your fighting force, these are the heavy hitters, the tanks, the vanguard. They will easily rack up the most kills. They retire at a young age though, and arent good at scouting, so you kind of have preemptively start working on one or two new recruits. A weak fighting force on the last chapter will be crippling if you dont prepare. There are several ways to make these guys into monsters in the field, but you need to have a plan and stick with it, and get lucky with the options you get on level up.

Hunters: they fit the rogue/ranger archetype got access to hiding, but are otherwise pretty weak both in terms of offense and defense. You still need them to scout zones faster and are nice to have in a few encounters, having 1 per team seems to be the sweet spot.

Mystics: These guys offer unique interactions with the environment and can help you resolve several encounters. They can easily pin down enemies, destroy armor, devastate entire areas, and target enemies weak resistances with ease. You can have 1 or 2 in every team and not feel like you are missing out on a lot when it comes to fighting potential.

There are several campaigns with different enemy types and scripted encounters, if you bring your legacy characters into it you can get them unique equipment that will stay with them in future campaigns.

Anyway, theres enough here to justify the asking price, and i thoroughly recommend the game to anyone that finds my thoughts interesting.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I bought it earlier and have put a couple of hours into it. Not sure yet. The main draw is clearly the storytelling, but so far it fails to get me to care about any of the characters. The tactical portion is quite nice- simple but not braindead, it's just they throw these characters at you and expect you to care about them (and the world they inhabit) just because they say so.

On the fence, not going to refund as at least it's trying to do something different (and I'm just past the refund point anyway) but I'm not quite as blown away as Lhynn

Lhynn

Arcane
I bought it earlier and have put a couple of hours into it. Not sure yet. The main draw is clearly the storytelling, but so far it fails to get me to care about any of the characters. The tactical portion is quite nice- simple but not braindead, it's just they throw these characters at you and expect you to care about them (and the world they inhabit) just because they say so.
Short answer is, you dont. I mostly skipped all at first, instructions to clear maps are super easy and the main draw, for me, is character and legacy building. But they eventually do grow on you, you eventually start to get interested in whatever the fuck is going on.

Theres this point in a campaign, in the 3rd chapter, where some cultists offer you immortality, to take you in and show you the wonders of the universe. I wasnt paying much attention but i accepted, sent my best fighter in the hopes id get a neat bonus or something. Left a heart broken wife and a daughter that resented his father.
2 chapters later the cultists are still fucking shit up, but weve found the place they come from. We go down there, surprise, my character went there to gather intel and betray them when the time was right. And with what he knew he could lead the party into the heart of the temple and slay them, avoiding a fight with a whole army that honestly speaking, they had no hope of beating. When we get there its only 2 young fighters and this 61 year old seasoned fighter everyone thought had betrayed them, he carried the entire final fight, living to tell the tale and going back to his wife and daughter.

Shit was pretty satisfying.

azimuth

Educated
This is one of the best of this type of game in ages. If you enjoy roguelites or tactical RPGs, this is a huge winner.

Aside from the satisfying combat, it's so interesting what will happen to your characters over the course of their campaigns. Every character will take on a strong unique build based on both your build choices and the things that have happened to them.

There are also lots of build types. Great mix of powergamer-style roll-playing and traditional character-based roleplaying.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Played through 1.5 campaigns so far and I've enjoyed myself quite a bit.

Not the deepest game mechanically but still well worth the price imo.

It perhaps goes without saying but this kind of game really should be played in the Ironman mode.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Refunded.

I don't know what people are blabbing about but the game is mediocre at best.

I don't like games where you are on a timer and each fight is making the following fights harder. I don't understand this retarded design decision in a single player TB game. What!?

The dialogues are "simplistic" and it doesn't feel like the overall story is any good.

I simply don't have the patience to play it while hoping that it will start to grow on me.

Lhynn

Arcane
Refunded.

I don't know what people are blabbing about but the game is mediocre at best.

I don't like games where you are on a timer and each fight is making the following fights harder. I don't understand this retarded design decision in a single player TB game. What!?

The dialogues are "simplistic" and it doesn't feel like the overall story is any good.

I simply don't have the patience to play it while hoping that it will start to grow on me.

First things first.
You arent really on a timer, unless there are special conditions on the map.
In every campaign the lands are being besieged by monsters, with every fight against a faction one of their creatures will improve. But that isnt a big deal, the improvement is minimal and you dont really notice it. A +1hp or +1 damage is nothing, but it adds up.

What wasting time does accomplish is huge improvements on their army, 4 improvements at once that you can negate with your legacy points. Legacy points are what you get for beating back enemies from occupied tiles, there is a management of those points, especially in higher difficulties.
Considering you need them to 1) recruit, legacy heroes cost more than random nobodies 2) build improvements on the land to get resources. So you should be wary about that. Hunters arent great, but they help you explore MUCH faster, exploring faster means you will face weaker enemies.
The dialogues arent really "simplistic". They are simple, but they are keyed off characters personalities and the relationships with other characters, after a while you start noticing your greedy hunter speaks like a greedy person, your hothead fighter always seem to want to fight, etc. These reactions are taken into account by other party members. Its all numbers, but it does give the whole party a nice flow with consistent characters. They also influence which random encounters you can get. Goofballs will get some silly and unique things for example.

The game isnt really for everyone, but it does what it does rather well, and what it does is fairly unique. Id advice you start with the basic 3 chapter campaign and just ignore the dialogues and focus on clearing. If you find combat enjoyable that is about nough to make it worth the asking price.

Though to be honest i always pirate first, then buy if i like later and id advice you to do the same, fitgirl has it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
In the fifth chapter of my second campaign, I managed to get an event featuring a giant turtle tortoise (involving the son of the couple from my first campaign, who only experienced the final chapter of that one but appeared in the second chapter of this campaign via a magical tapestry and went on to have a son of his own who joined the party at the beginning of the fifth chapter):

hYL7dO5.jpg

Sadly the giant turtle tortoise wasn't rideable.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
In the fifth chapter of my second campaign, I managed to get an event featuring a giant turtle tortoise (involving the son of the couple from my first campaign, who only experienced the final chapter of that one but appeared in the second chapter of this campaign via a magical tapestry and went on to have a son of his own who joined the party at the beginning of the fifth chapter):

hYL7dO5.jpg

Sadly the giant turtle tortoise wasn't rideable.

I also got that event and I wonder if something happens if that character dies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom