Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Wildstar - Next NCSoft MMORPG

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by Sul, Feb 7, 2013.

1. set Cipher

set
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    I got two beta keys if anybody wants

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. markec Twitterbot Patron

markec
    Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I would like one kind sir.

^ Top  
  4. set Cipher

set
    I'd almost want one to review the game, but I just don't have the time.

^ Top  
  5. Greatness Cipher

Greatness
    I've been waiting on a key for awhile, I'd like one if you still have an extra. (Will nolife the game and write up some impressions for the ppl of codexia.)

^ Top  
  6. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I think I'm late for the key :/

^ Top  
  7. Direwolf Arcane

Direwolf
    Yes, please!

^ Top  
  8. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Yeah all two were already taken. You gotta be fast around these parts

^ Top  
  9. Greatness Cipher

Greatness
    I've been playing for around a week now (Thanks to Excidium for the invite). I'm not sure what all I'm allowed to say about the game. According to the NDA I'm pretty restricted: "You may not discuss, stream, post images and video, or share any information about the content that you've experienced in beta."

So uhm... I'll just say the NDA isn't holding me back from "praising" the game. ;)

It's actually kinda surprising how effective the NDA has been. I look at other popular gaming forums and I see mostly positive stuff about Wildstar, but when I look on the actual games beta forum it's mass topics about how flawed and uninspired it really is.

Anyways I'll try and force myself (believe me it's hard) to make it to the end game and see if things improve.

^ Top  
  10. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    NDAs make absolutely no sense for games... especially MMOs where you face an uphill battle breaking into the market. You'd think a company would want people generating hype.

^ Top  
  11. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    It makes sense because they'd want hype from their own controlled channels like dev videos, interviews, etc where they can make everything look awesome. Random people playing the game might give the wrong impression, specially on a beta where some areas might not be as good as others.

^ Top  
  12. Eyeball Arcane

Eyeball
    So I watched TotalDipshit play this for a while. It looks really purdy and the graphical style is cute, but I have to ask: how is this game different from all the other 9000 WoW clones on the market? It looks depressingly similar to GW2.

^ Top  
  13. Xenich Cipher

Xenich
    Have you watched the Devspeak vids on their site? The concept of "Adventures" seems like an interesting way to keep content fresh, though... how it is implemented will make or break it. The "Paths" concept also appears to add a layer of content on top of normal grouping. The customization aspects of loot is interesting, but still a bit vague, though the character development does appear to have a vast array of options and may provide some complex elements of play. Add in player housing and full customization of such and well, it doesn't appear to be a simple WoW clone. I mean, the retarded hand holding, its cartoon graphics, and its questing structure (from what little I can tell) appear to be similar, but overall it has far more depth than WoW ever had, but like I said, my knowledge of the game is really only from some reading, random game play vids and the devspeak.

My friend and I talked about it and came to this opinion on the possibility of playing it. We like the wacky look and style as well as its humor. It reminds me of the old Loony Toons or the Don Bluth animations. The combat is beyond twitchy, but... it may be entertaining from an arcade game play perspective. Sure, the game becomes less of an RPG and more of an MMOFPS style of play with extremely fast combat and key hitting, but... as I said, it does "appear" to have rather large selective character development options. So, it "may" be entertaining in the simple aspect of the "humor" and the tactical twitch play of the combat in some scenarios. I don't see the game as being a long term play, but it does have more depth than many of the games we see out today, so it "may" be worth a try. I just wish I could get into beta to get a better feel for it.

^ Top  
  14. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    I'm in the beta but I can't bring myself to create a character lol. Maybe tomorrow.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Takeda Kenshi Augur

Takeda Kenshi
    There's a big patch coming out in mid March, might as well wait until then.

^ Top  
  16. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Anyone have a beta key to spare?

^ Top  
  17. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    I want one as well, I'm curious about how they are trying to break the formula.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    I expect it to be pretty much a more twitch like WoW clone, but the comedy aspect of the universe interests me and the exploration/lore paths appeal to my need to devour scifi/fantasy lore. But this beta is truly hard to come by, which is weird unless the plan to release it only towards the end of the year.

^ Top  
  19. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    I had to quit after 30 minutes because it reminded me too much of SWTOR graphically.

Combat at level 1 actually almost feels like an action game... Except that dodging goes on cooldown after two uses (like GW2) making it impossible to play like a hack & slash ninja/Dante :(

^ Top  
  20. John_Blazze Augur

John_Blazze
    If they do, you probably won't experience it in a beta weekend, seems like it all comes later in the game.

I really think they should let people play some mid game shit in their next beta weekends.
    Because holy fuck the early game is boring and tedious.

They should just drop you in the first big hub and be done with it, skipping the fucking prologue and "starter" zones. I bet it would work better as far as grabbing peoples attention.
    Because dumbfucks get bored too and I refuse to believe that anyone that are not familiar with MMOs and know the good (well, passable) shit comes later, if ever, would say "Wow, this is fun, let me spend more money on this game" after first hour or two of running trough corridors from one quest mark to another.
    And I'd think that is what developers/publisher would want.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Xenich Cipher

Xenich

From the game play videos and devspeak, I expect no less than a massive twitchy arcade style game, which is fine for a game if you expect it going in.

^ Top  
  22. John_Blazze Augur

John_Blazze
    What I experienced does not feel much different than the standard MMO combat.
    You just move alot, circling around your target like real time Grimrock, dodging and waiting on your cooldowns to end.

Actually, that twitchy, arcade combat would be welcome, in my opinion.

Maybe something akin to Dragons Dogma would work, which Black Desert kinda tries to do. And it actually looks less boring than combat in ESO and WS but it still is an MMO... and it's korean. But it's also a sandbox, so who knows.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Xenich Cipher

Xenich
    Well, I guess it depends on what you consider to be standard MMO and how you define action/twitch. EQ doesn't fit into that, nor does EQ 2, and WoW is closer to that, but more of a hybrid between the two, though less so in the earlier content (other than during a boss event). Games like TSW, Terra, NWN, etc... brought about those tactics to normal encounters. Not only does Wildstar have the whole dodge and movement strategy in most of the encounters, but its entire casting/ability system is centered around various action based approaches (ie long hold down build-up to fire, press and rapid tap the hotkey, short tap, etc... Those are all action/twitch features. Non-twitch features (going to the opposite extreme) would be full turn based, or auto-attack with the occasional cast or ability (ala EQ).

I mean, the old arcade games like Defender were simple (move to avoid things and fire at objects). Some arcade games added a bit more, such as having the ship fire in different ways based on how you pressed the fire button (Wildstar ability system).

So yeah, I would have to say Wildstar is extreme twitch/action. Though, then again most MMOs these days are action arcade games (where success is primarily based on the reflex ability of the player).

^ Top  
  24. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    What I said was that based on personal beta experience, it was almost fun in an action/twitch way but in the end, it is not.

It's not twitch when you have a cooldown on your dodge. It's twitch only when enemies make big telegraphed attacks, while you spend the cooldown trading little blows. Just like Guild Wars 2. Just like Neverwinter. Compared to all MMOs, sure it's as twitchy as it gets, besides maybe Vindictus, but gameplay-wise (AI intelligence, attack/dodge timing window, encounter design in general) it pales to a regular hack & slash game you'd find on the console.

Granted the attacks (or impacts) "feel" better than the aforementioned MMOs, which is meaningful for an hack&slash.

Not at all comparable, because playing a game like Defender means you are shooting and dodging a couple dozen enemies. In Wildstar you fight your standard mob which attacks slowly which you either dodge or you don't dodge depending if dodge is on cooldown lol.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.