Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Will PoE be shit?

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Shannow, Sep 26, 2014.

?

Will PoE be shit?

1. It will be a great game.

13.1%
  2. It will be a good game.

16.0%
  3. It'll be ok.

9.1%
  4. It might be a good game but, but it won't be a good IE successor.

5.1%
  5. This was shit from the start. IE games and RTwP need to die in a fire.

6.4%
  6. It could have been good, but J.E. Sawyer happened.

16.9%
  7. Too early to judge. But I still have hope.

12.0%
  8. Too early to judge. It'll probably be shit though.

4.4%
  9. It'll be shit.

7.1%
  10. Other.

0.4%
  11. Stop these stupid polls and kill yourself, Shannow (kingcomrade)

9.3%
  1. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    Well, it's certainly not considered great for the writing (though apparently people think highly of the writing for some reason).

Baldur's Gate 2 has good combat. You can have good combat even with a bad character system.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Shevek Arcane

Shevek
    Good combat? Ya, kinda. Great though? BG2 was a game that did many things well. But to say it was "great because of its combat" is a bit silly.

^ Top  
  3. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    Well, I should have said 'good to great'. You can be the judge of it for yourself.

^ Top  
  4. Shevek Arcane

Shevek
    Still not "great BECAUSE OF its combat."

^ Top  
  5. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
  6. Shevek Arcane

Shevek
    Lol

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Rostere Arcane Patron

Rostere
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Well, I guess this is a question of standards...

^ Top  
  8. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    BG2 is absolutely one of the best RPG's combat wise. Encounter design is top notch and the spells and abilities are interesting. If it had bad combat it'd be a mediocre game like the rest of IE.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. Dwemer Puzzle Box Arcane

Dwemer Puzzle Box
    Fixed.

^ Top  
  10. Seari Cipher Patron

Seari
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yeah the unbalanced item upgrades mod surely makes the combat better.

^ Top  
  11. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Combat system is BG2 is...ok
    Encounter design is pretty Damn good
    If PoE even gets one of those right it will be a good game: seems the story, setting, companions, music and graphics are pretty good and balanced

^ Top  
  12. Western Arcane

Western
    Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Combat in BG2 isn't even my favourite out of the Infinity engine games, for me that would be Icewind Dale 2.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Rake Arcane

Rake
    :what:
    Then you will love PoE

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Western Arcane

Western
    Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I've played the beta, combat is meh and a bit clusterfucky for my taste but I was never expecting much out of the combat. I don't think Icewind Dale 2s combat was great I just thought it was better than BG2. More challenging, I also prefer 3rd edition mechanics over 2nd, even if the implementation was half arsed, BG2 is still the better game overall.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. ~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-AIN'T Arcane Patron

~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-AIN'T
    Serpent in the Staglands Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That doesn't really make sense. You can't have garbage systems and still have combat and magic "rock". It might be fair to say the systems were mediocre, and the range of abilities and equipment, as well as, of course, the encounter design, made the best out of those not-great systems. You can't make the best out of a truly garbage system though. For example, take BG2's abilities and encounter design, put them into Arcanum, and you still have a game with shit combat, because nothing is going to be able to redeem that system. BG2's system was good enough that something very fun could be made out of it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    The only reason I still play BG2 is because of it's combat and encounters.

^ Top  
  17. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    Dont lie faggot, i know you want a piece of anomen.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Hes watching you.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    [QUOTE="Rake, post: 3697918, member: 15744"BG2 was a great game because of it's combat and magic system.[/QUOTE]

Really? I thought it was because of romances.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. Ellef Deplorable

Ellef
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    What the hell kind of Anomen is that?

^ Top  
  20. Ellef Deplorable

Ellef
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    How is that silly? It's what it does best. I'd like to know your criticisms of it.

^ Top  
  21. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    I guess we'll know if PoE is a success once the fan-made romance mods start appearing.

^ Top  
  22. Shevek Arcane

Shevek
    Well, lots of games have very good combat. I would argue plenty have better combat than BG2. If it were so great, then SCS, etc mods wouldnt be so popular.

BG2 is "total package." It has a well realized high fantasy setting (not alot of stat checks or c&c but plenty of quests and colorful characters). More importantly, it has a fulfilling quasi open world design in the beginning with a flawed combat SYSTEM (poor character development/stat system, monty haul itemization, rest abuse, too many hard counters, etc) and well made combat ENCOUNTERS. So, its fun to replay the beginning and face roll crap every now and again.

I would argue BG2 is memorable because it does many things well as opposed to one thing (combat) very well.

In other words, if it were great BECAUSE of combat, it would be alot less popular than games that had superior combat systems and encounter design.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  23. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    Very few RPGs have notably good combat actually. What are these lots of games you're thinking about?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    +1

ESPECIALLY RTWP RPGs.

I think Shevek's opinion there might be skewed because of the existence of exploits, some wonky balancing and the fact that you can rest spam. You can easily make the game not very fun to play by cheesing the shit out of it. If you don't do it then there's no problem.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  25. Shevek Arcane

Shevek
    Plenty of TB games have better combat overall (ToEE, Wiz8, etc). If you include TB games with RPG systems (JA2, etc), the list gets longer of games with better combat with BG2. If you limit yourself to RTwP, that significantly shortens the list since modern games (NWN1/2, DA, etc) all have less satisfying combat (for various reasons: camera angle, console centered design, etc). Still, I would argue other IE games actually have more numerous and better combat encounters (both IWD:HoW and IWD2). IWD2 also has moderately better combat systems as well.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.