Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will PoE be shit?

Will PoE be shit?

• Total voters

Athelas

Arcane
It is.

Johannes

Arcane
BG2 is absolutely one of the best RPG's combat wise. Encounter design is top notch and the spells and abilities are interesting. If it had bad combat it'd be a mediocre game like the rest of IE.

BG2 with tactics, scs II, item upgrade and ascension mods is absolutely one of the best RPG's combat wise. Encounter design is top notch and the spells and abilities are interesting. If it had bad combat it'd be a mediocre game like the rest of IE.
Fixed.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah the unbalanced item upgrades mod surely makes the combat better.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Combat system is BG2 is...ok
Encounter design is pretty Damn good
If PoE even gets one of those right it will be a good game: seems the story, setting, companions, music and graphics are pretty good and balanced

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Combat in BG2 isn't even my favourite out of the Infinity engine games, for me that would be Icewind Dale 2.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
:what:
Then you will love PoE

I've played the beta, combat is meh and a bit clusterfucky for my taste but I was never expecting much out of the combat. I don't think Icewind Dale 2s combat was great I just thought it was better than BG2. More challenging, I also prefer 3rd edition mechanics over 2nd, even if the implementation was half arsed, BG2 is still the better game overall.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
bg2 was a great game despite its combat and magic systems

bg2 was a great game because of its scope. in particular, its combat and magic rocked because of the range of abilities and equipment available. the systems themselves were garbage
That doesn't really make sense. You can't have garbage systems and still have combat and magic "rock". It might be fair to say the systems were mediocre, and the range of abilities and equipment, as well as, of course, the encounter design, made the best out of those not-great systems. You can't make the best out of a truly garbage system though. For example, take BG2's abilities and encounter design, put them into Arcanum, and you still have a game with shit combat, because nothing is going to be able to redeem that system. BG2's system was good enough that something very fun could be made out of it.

Lhynn

Arcane
The only reason I still play BG2 is because of it's combat and encounters.
Dont lie faggot, i know you want a piece of anomen.

535700.jpg

Hes watching you.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
[QUOTE="Rake, post: 3697918, member: 15744"BG2 was a great game because of it's combat and magic system.[/QUOTE]

Really? I thought it was because of romances.

Athelas

Arcane
I guess we'll know if PoE is a success once the fan-made romance mods start appearing.

Shevek

Arcane
Well, lots of games have very good combat. I would argue plenty have better combat than BG2. If it were so great, then SCS, etc mods wouldnt be so popular.

BG2 is "total package." It has a well realized high fantasy setting (not alot of stat checks or c&c but plenty of quests and colorful characters). More importantly, it has a fulfilling quasi open world design in the beginning with a flawed combat SYSTEM (poor character development/stat system, monty haul itemization, rest abuse, too many hard counters, etc) and well made combat ENCOUNTERS. So, its fun to replay the beginning and face roll crap every now and again.

I would argue BG2 is memorable because it does many things well as opposed to one thing (combat) very well.

In other words, if it were great BECAUSE of combat, it would be alot less popular than games that had superior combat systems and encounter design.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Very few RPGs have notably good combat actually.

+1

ESPECIALLY RTWP RPGs.

I think Shevek's opinion there might be skewed because of the existence of exploits, some wonky balancing and the fact that you can rest spam. You can easily make the game not very fun to play by cheesing the shit out of it. If you don't do it then there's no problem.

Shevek

Arcane
Plenty of TB games have better combat overall (ToEE, Wiz8, etc). If you include TB games with RPG systems (JA2, etc), the list gets longer of games with better combat with BG2. If you limit yourself to RTwP, that significantly shortens the list since modern games (NWN1/2, DA, etc) all have less satisfying combat (for various reasons: camera angle, console centered design, etc). Still, I would argue other IE games actually have more numerous and better combat encounters (both IWD:HoW and IWD2). IWD2 also has moderately better combat systems as well.

hiver

Enabling rest inside dungeons was one of the worst decisions made. Just shows you how malleable the devs are to cheap lowest common denominators mewling.

Johannes

Arcane
Plenty of TB games have better combat overall (ToEE, Wiz8, etc). If you include TB games with RPG systems (JA2, etc), the list gets longer of games with better combat with BG2. If you limit yourself to RTwP, that significantly shortens the list since modern games (NWN1/2, DA, etc) all have less satisfying combat (for various reasons: camera angle, console centered design, etc). Still, I would argue other IE games actually have more numerous and better combat encounters (both IWD:HoW and IWD2). IWD2 also has moderately better combat systems as well.
ToEE and Wiz8 have mostly trash combat with just a handful of memorable encounters in a whole game. BG2 blows them right out of the water.

Shevek

Arcane
Umm, well, BG2 has plenty of trash combat with a relative minority of memorable encounters as well. It might be interesting to see what Numenera does with its "no trash mob" philosophy but most rpgs have a whole lot of trash combat.

Renegen

Arcane
That's because RtwP is shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom