Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls Will the Elder Scrolls 6 have more depth than Morrowind

Can it get worse

• No

Votes: 32 12.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 199 80.2%
  • No but it wont get much better

Votes: 17 6.9%

• Total voters

Avarize

Magister
Would love to see a huge map in Elder Scrolls 6

The density of town/dungeons/fortresses/etc has always been a bit immersion breaking for me. It's just so odd running 20 yards south of a town and find a "hidden" cave riddled with treasure. I just think "How has no one found this place?"
And the towns dotting the map are all too small. Say what you will about Witcher 3 but at least Novigrad felt like a city.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
My prediction its going be assasin creeds scroll.

Bethesda are the king of AAA jank. They'll never cross over to other kind of AAA garbage because the latter is usually a lot more professionally made.

Caim

Arcane
Expect even more skill compression. Illusion and Conjuration will be folded into Alteration and Destruction respectively. Block, Light Armor and Heavy Armor become one skill. Lockpicking and Pickpocketing get folded into Sneak. Sneaking and sneak attacks now drain Stamina in a poor attempt to balance out the mess that was stealth archery in Skyrim. Birthsigns become meaningless buffs. The thing that makes you special this time around is that you discover lost weeaboo fighting arts that let you use a canned special attack for more damage. You know, the fighting style one Redoran used alongside his billion times folded curved sword to cut an atom and accidentally sink the ancestral Redoran lands? That will be used as a callback to the old days to appease the grognards.

Luzur

Good Sir
Expect even more skill compression. Illusion and Conjuration will be folded into Alteration and Destruction respectively. Block, Light Armor and Heavy Armor become one skill. Lockpicking and Pickpocketing get folded into Sneak. Sneaking and sneak attacks now drain Stamina in a poor attempt to balance out the mess that was stealth archery in Skyrim. Birthsigns become meaningless buffs. The thing that makes you special this time around is that you discover lost weeaboo fighting arts that let you use a canned special attack for more damage. You know, the fighting style one Redoran used alongside his billion times folded curved sword to cut an atom and accidentally sink the ancestral Redoran lands? That will be used as a callback to the old days to appease the grognards.

I bet ya the skills gonna be like renamed to "Magic Stuff", "Fight Stuff", "Illegal Stuff", "Armor Stuff" and just be perks LOL

Luzur

Good Sir
Would love to see a huge map in Elder Scrolls 6

The density of town/dungeons/fortresses/etc has always been a bit immersion breaking for me. It's just so odd running 20 yards south of a town and find a "hidden" cave riddled with treasure. I just think "How has no one found this place?"
And the towns dotting the map are all too small. Say what you will about Witcher 3 but at least Novigrad felt like a city.

in TES 6 the cities will be 4 houses tops, and 15 NPC's staring into walls

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
more depth?

morrowind water breathing - up to ~50m of diving depth? (fucking dreugh)

TES 6 - up to ~100m of diving depth (into Todd's rectum)?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Morrowind wasn't even good to begin with. You can add lots of extra fluff like flying and water breathing and whatnot, but those things need the game to make them worthwhile. There needed to be underwater dungeons and castles in the sky and stuff. EQ did all that earlier than Morrowind and with all the difficulties of online. Beth could have developed it into something meaningful in later games, but instead they just removed it all. But like I said before, I don't even care if they want to make it into an action game, but at least give me good and exciting action. Either that or a deep RPG. Currently it is trying to be both and fails at both.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Morrowind wasn't even good to begin with.

I agree. Purchased it day 1, it was a decent RPG but nothing super-special, people were mostly impressed by the open-world aspect and the graphics. Aside from that it wasn't that special, and looking back it is easy to see its faults

Oblivion tried to improve many aspects, and in many ways succeeded, but it also fundamentally destroyed a core part of what makes a good CRPG (ESPECIALLY the level scaling) and thus was even worse than Morrowind in the aggregate.

Fallout 3 was really the first game from Bethesda that deserved the GOTY award.

Krivol

Magister

I agree. Purchased it day 1, it was a decent RPG but nothing super-special, people were mostly impressed by the open-world aspect and the graphics. Aside from that it wasn't that special, and looking back it is easy to see its faults

Oblivion tried to improve many aspects, and in many ways succeeded, but it also fundamentally destroyed a core part of what makes a good CRPG (ESPECIALLY the level scaling) and thus was even worse than Morrowind in the aggregate.

Oh, I found you playing on your super rig on youtube!

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

I'm with you on all that. Oblivion did a great job of not looking like an ugly brown RPG anymore. It was beautiful, lush green grass, pretty villages, much better ui, more modern controls etc. They did good. There's nothing wrong with an open world RPG in an FPS type engine. They just removed too much depth either because they wanted it to be simpler or because they spent so much time/money on the engine/ui/presentation overhaul. And Piccard's voice! But since then they got bought by Zenimax I think? And then Zenimax got bought by freakin money bags Microsoft. So budget is not gonna be a concern this time. I'm optimistic.

Oblivion may very well be one of the the most rapid cases of a game being considered visual impressive to the visuals being seen as a joke. The choice to go with weird bloated pancake faces for everyone was difinitely a strange visual direction to take characters.

user

Savant
And then Zenimax got bought by freakin money bags Microsoft. So budget is not gonna be a concern this time. I'm optimistic.

Budget is dependent on the studio's profit afaik and its benefactor won't just hand them money if they don't return it with interest, so unless their current products + Starfield are deemed profitable enough, I am very pessimistic about the budget constraints.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Starfield is going to be Todd's redemption arc, TES6 will be a further incline.
Less stats, less depth? Wtf are you guys talking about. With the power of next gen consoles Bethesda can now make the game of their dreams. No more dreaded technological limitations!

Hail Todd!

DIS GON B GUD

Generic-Giant-Spider

DfYRqwXWsAAGizy.jpg

Avarize

Magister
Todd could probably produce a great RPG of he wanted to. But he's out to make money, not RPGs.
Hanlon's razor.
Making money for your shareholders is neither malicious nor stupid.
Dumbing a game down on purpose for broader appeal vs dumbing it down because you're dumb.
So when Skyrim made a gazillion dollars more than its predecessors, it happened because Todd was stupid? How does Hanlon's razor apply to Broad appeal vs stupidity anyway? Do you think appealing to a larger audience on purpose is malicious?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom