Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will the "Ultimate" RPG ever be made? Can it be made?

Higher Animal

Arcane
Sure, fund me to the tune of 10 grand a month in perpetuity and be willing to write a larger check for a team I’ll handpick and I’ll get it done, eventually.

behold_a_man

Educated
Of course not: if some people will create a game, that will top all currently best RPGs in all of its characteristics, then there will be someone on codex saying, that this game is trash because reasons, then some lunatic developer will take this idea seriously, show, how the problem can be corrected in a game - by creating a new game - and thus there will be no longer strictly-ultimate RPG.

Machocruz

Arcane
The possibility space needs to match that of tabletop to be the ultimate in my mind. Backwards engineer from that and you have an answer if it can ever be made.

Mortmal

Arcane
the best RPGs now will be considered primitive 30 years from now.
Are rpgs from 30 years ago primitive compare to the average rpg released on steam nowaday? Have a look at 1992 rpg list, darklands , wizardry 7, ultima 7 , eye of the beholder 2, ... Nope i wish to still have something as good to play.
In 1992 there was a lot more. The genre is not moving forward much and there's much much fewer release.

Ash

Arcane
The only chance for the ultimate RPG was in the 90s early 2000s. Graphics increased budgets exponentially, and so we will never have it unless it is by a middle-sized studio with their priorities right.

Mortmal

Arcane
The utimate RPG will be something like novel AI emulating a true Dmthat with a gameplay similar to KOTC2 but with generated artstyle inspired from the style of larry elmore and keith parkinson.

Silverfish

Arbiter
- The game world is going to have to be large, large enough to be impressive (subjective) but not so large as to attempt to model an entire world or universe.

- The interaction with what occupies this world is going to have to be equally impressive, from truly believable AI (up to some limit?) to almost unlimited manipulation and combining of objects present in the world.

- There clearly needs to be some purpose to the exercise, otherwise we're not talking about a game anymore. There must be a goal, a desirable outcome to play towards -- even if that goal is to model the life and times of some "adventurer".

When your third eye opens, but all it reveals is that Todd Howard was incline all along.

Not even remotely true. Games have peaked and are starting their downslide. 30 years from now, we'll be looking at mediocre games from today and thinking "how'd they manage that?"

fork

Not even remotely true. Games have peaked and are starting their downslide. 30 years from now, we'll be looking at mediocre games from today and thinking "how'd they manage that?"

Yes.
Maybe the point he was trying to make is that people 30 years from now will be too retarded to recognise how much better our games were and therefore think theirs are superior? Or that people in 30 years won't be able to play the classics anymore because all there's left is Gamepass equivalents on locked down hard- and software?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I hope the youngsters will develop some sense and start playing and appreciating the "classics",especially the ones from the 90s.
The industry might definitely push them in that direction, due to their incompetence and creative bankruptcy.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I played on a RP Ultima Online server with mods acting as basically DMs for events and extraneous stuff. Personally it was the nearest we can get on a computer to playing a RPG... but then again some could argue that because of the human aspect, it was basically an RPG game with computer assistance (like roll20 and such nowadays).

I think asking "what is the game that's closest to an RPG?" and then asking "could it be pushed further?" would be a good way of tackling this. And I think the answer would be positive, no matter the game. "Don't let perfect be the enemy of the good" and all that.

Crispy, interesting timing, because not only is the answer yes, but this perfect RPG is releasing on Steam on Tuesday:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/975370/Dwarf_Fortress/

However, please note that as of Tuesday, they are only releasing the Steam version of the dwarf colony mode, with the Adventurer mode being adopted to Steam/graphics later on. But it's the adventurer mode that might well be the greatest RPG ever.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I don't see it happening in my lifetime because games aren't pushing anymore, it's the opposite now. I do think it will change in the future though, "ever" is a long time... I see the next 20 years being shit though, just an ocean of indie games like they were made in 1985, and flashy beautiful looking AAA games that are unfortunately boring dumb shit with cut corners everywhere.

But eventually it will change. I think if indie devs worked together more it could create some great games like the 90s. And the industry is so pathetic, it just copies whatever works. So some great work from some great bigger indie companies and the AAA studios would start copying those types of games. And not just the games themselves, but the culture itself changes. It used to be more about taking chances and making the best game they could. Now it's all about making what sells and is tried and tested. But if some indie devs had a huge success with a different philosophy to making games, that could catch on.

I typed a big thing about what I meant by that but it was too big so you'll have to figure it out.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Let's say humans will advance even more and thus will be able to create things that we could not even dream about today.
pnf0lz9jovw61.jpg

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Correct. Easier to accept and understand when I realise that I am not going to be there anymore checking them out 30 years from now. In the best case scenario I'll start a new game of Fallout every day, totally fascinated.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The ultimate rpg will be created when the pc hardware has developed into a sufficiently advanced state, but that requires multiple generations of upgrades with the state of the art components, and several rebuilds.

Preferably done by a small vendor who cares that his customers get the best of the best for their rig, no expense spared.

Dyspaire

Cipher
The utimate RPG will be something like novel AI emulating a true Dmthat with a gameplay similar to KOTC2 but with generated artstyle inspired from the style of larry elmore and keith parkinson.

And it's a lot closer than people think. Only a year or two away at this rate.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
To answer your question "briefly":
As technology advances, so will RPGs.
For this we need resources that could one day be collected in space.

And yet a lot of phone "RPGs" are gacha shit. Supposedly phones keep jumping in tech (not sure if on par with pcs or consoles but probably soon). Hell, steam and GOG and itchio etc have s lot of shit "rpgs."

I wouldn't say tech makes a better RPG. It potentially could but..... hah! Keep dreaming.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
25780.jpg

I don't want any insurance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom