Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Zodiac Legion - X-COM and dungeons

Self-Ejected

Circuit the Short

Self-Ejected
Any news, men?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dude's busy playing Warhammer 40k stuff, he'll return once he does his duty for the Emperor.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dude's busy playing Warhammer 40k stuff, he'll return once he does his duty for the Emperor.
If only! I have some ongoing family business to take care of, which is taking a lot of time, but I hope it will be sorted out soon (but it will probably take something like 20% time over 6 month).

I have been working on the exportation of all graphic assets. I still have a few micro issues to solve on this front(the resulting texture atlas date files are too large so I have to find a good way to automatically split them), then I will focus on procedural generation of levels.
I will follow the X-COM/XCOM 2 formula of assembling levels from preset rooms and corridors, because I think fixed levels really get in the way when it comes to replaying this kind of games (I mean, I would really have loved better RNGenerated levels in Chaos Gate, and some variations on the main mission maps). It also makes dynamic mission generation easier.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Actually, my idea was for the player to play Greek freedom fighters fighting it out against EU forces. But I thought that by this time, Greece might have left the EU, or the Troika could have become more reasonable.
Leaving aside current politics.

What kind of mechanics did you had in mind for such game?
Would it have been JA2 knockoff or something more abstract or something else?

Besides I don't see anything wrong with doing "alt-history" what-if scenario.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Actually, my idea was for the player to play Greek freedom fighters fighting it out against EU forces. But I thought that by this time, Greece might have left the EU, or the Troika could have become more reasonable.

I don't think the JA2 framework would have worked, because JA2 is ultimately about reconquering the island. It would convey guerilla warfare poorly. I think something more abstract would have worked (Also being half Vietnamese, guerrilla warfare is something I am especially interested in).
So the tactical mechanisms would have been more about completing the objective (freeing prisoner, sabotaging installations...) before reinforcements arrive (which is not too different from Zodiac Legion actually).
But the strategic layer would have been more about keeping your bases hidden (by trying to misdirect the opponent about the location of your base when launching missions), and winning the hearts and minds of the people (by avoiding collateral damage, and provoking the counter guerrilla forces to cause them. Completing symbolic objectives and things like that).
So in a way, I would have tried to give it a modern Robin Hood vibe.

Sloul

Savant
Zodiac Legion concept is already neat, why would you go a separate project?
+ Your other idea sounds rather dull to me.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Zodiac Legion concept is already neat, why would you go a separate project?
+ Your other idea sounds rather dull to me.
I wouldn't. This was the other concept that was competing with what would become Zodiac Legion when I was working on the early game design.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

Actually, now that I see non armed insurrection from the inside, I think it would make a good framework for a future purely strategic game.
There are a lot of things that makes it similar to guerrilla warfare: winning the hearts and minds of the people, securing funding, alternating persuasion/recruitment and disruption, avoiding risks of direct confrontation when numbers are not in favor of the insurgents, and trying to make your own vision (both strategic and political) prevail in, and outside the movement. But that would not make a very interesting tactical game.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Regarding Zodiac Legion itself, the automatic import of character (body and armor) parts is complete, so it should be much easier to add new armors (and archetypes) now, and add character customization in a near future.

I will now focus on integrating the monsters (the big scorpion like beast, and the shade), and tweaking the first two levels until they are tactically interesting, and provide more context when it comes to the universe and story (but without adding too much text, because people are not there to read).

Then I will work on rooms and procedural generation, and after that, I will release a small combat demo, then move to the overarching campaign.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
now that I see non armed insurrection from the inside

Yellow vests? You've been to some of the protests around the city?
Yes, I usually go to the ones in Paris, even though I am not convinced by the weekly Saturday mini protest strategy.
I am also trying to form an YV assembly in the South of Paris, but I have found 4 volunteers so far. Winning over a significant part of the elite will take a long time at this rate :D

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
now that I see non armed insurrection from the inside

Yellow vests? You've been to some of the protests around the city?
Yes, I usually go to the ones in Paris, even though I am not convinced by the weekly Saturday mini protest strategy.
I am also trying to form an YV assembly in the South of Paris, but I have found 4 volunteers so far. Winning over a significant part of the elite will take a long time at this rate :D
Good luck about that. :M

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Regarding Zodiac Legion itself, the automatic import of character (body and armor) parts is complete, so it should be much easier to add new armors (and archetypes) now, and add character customization in a near future.

I will now focus on integrating the monsters (the big scorpion like beast, and the shade), and tweaking the first two levels until they are tactically interesting, and provide more context when it comes to the universe and story (but without adding too much text, because people are not there to read).

Then I will work on rooms and procedural generation, and after that, I will release a small combat demo, then move to the overarching campaign.
I know, self quoting is weird:

Some friends of mine recommended me to go to Early Access ASAP, that is, as soon as there is enough content playable (and skip KS altogether).
It would make the launch much slower sales-wise, but it would give much more useful feedback than people at conventions (as the feedback would come from actual consumers...).

I could cobble an inventory/level UI, then work on procedural gen + content, and get the game out to early access. The game would ship to EA without the stronghold/campaign layer (so it would first play like a tactical Rogue like), and it would take some months for them to be added..
What do you think of it?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some friends of mine recommended me to go to Early Access ASAP, that is, as soon as there is enough content playable (and skip KS altogether).
It would make the launch much slower sales-wise, but it would give much more useful feedback than people at conventions (as the feedback would come from actual consumers...).
You would also have to deal with the idiots who would shit in your game for the dumbest of reasons like graphix. But then you post here, so I should hope you'll be fine.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
You would also have to deal with the idiots who would shit in your game for the dumbest of reasons like graphix. But then you post here, so I should hope you'll be fine.
Good point, Early Access games get their shares of reviewers who like to point the lack of tutorial, or the lack of content. I guess I could first release on itch.io to avoid tanking the Steam Score early on, but I don't know the platform very well.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Alternately a demo and a separate EA with updates might serve your purpose better?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I guess I could first release on itch.io to avoid tanking the Steam Score early on, but I don't know the platform very well.

zwanzig_zwoelf
Itch is a nice place. The community is more tolerable since a large chunk of the platform are jam and hobby games.
However, if your die-hard fans buy the game on Itch, their reviews won't matter when it comes to the Steam score, which can potentially fuck you in the ass if you have a very niche audience.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess I could first release on itch.io to avoid tanking the Steam Score early on, but I don't know the platform very well.

zwanzig_zwoelf
Itch is a nice place. The community is more tolerable since a large chunk of the platform are jam and hobby games.
However, if your die-hard fans buy the game on Itch, their reviews won't matter when it comes to the Steam score, which can potentially fuck you in the ass if you have a very niche audience.

Can't you offer Steam keys to people who bought it on itch, so that they might drop a review on Steam too? (or it might be against itch's ToS, I don't know)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom