Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Wiping all out.

Who's hotter?

• Junpei Iori.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Akihiko Sanada.

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Ken Amada.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Shinjiro Aragaki.

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Theodore.

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Koromaru.

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

Sukeban Cho

Erudite
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

Which video gave you such problem?

Thou shalt not answer a question with one of your own!
But, but... it's the rabbinical thing to do? Don't you want to be a rabbi?

Which goes to teach us the true face of the Joo, to reveal the horror stalking from behind their mask of niceness and victim-ness. :obviously:

If there's anyone who can manage this LP, it's our feline overlord. :salute:

:love: Thank you for the kind words.

I was half-expecting some sort of joke at Persona 4 when you examined the TV (such as "yes, it is your television. What were you expecting, a portal to another world?")

Late on there is a small scenario in Persona 4's town, which includes one of the main characters from that game. There's also a small even linked to Catherine, yet that one is quite easy to miss.

I voted Junpei, with all those negatives, it seems he needs some lovin'. :smug:

Junpei is more bearable if you play as a guy. He's still terribly insecure, yet not so much of a jerk.

I totally love the genkiness of the P3 female protagonist. Nyah will do well, nya.

:love: Thank you for the vote of confidence.

2hyb882.png

:love: Hahaha. Let's hope I can actually finish it.

Is possible to kill Junpei?

I don't think so. :(

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Tentatively following this silently. I can barely get through updates without copiuos amounts of alcohol through no fault of yours. It's just... jrpgs. Nnnnrgh.

Many :BROPAW: to Black Cat. She suffers through the writing so I can skim it when the overabundance of ellepsis makes me rage.
Like+a+boss+_e0f8f1b168549857ea614907c2e5a5bf.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
Whoa, Junpei is somehow even more grating than before... And subtle as a brick. No wonder you dislike him. Anyways, dear feline, continue please. :thumbsup:

hivemind-sama.jpg

:mhd:"Brother? Is that you??"

Let me get this one straight: They sell stimulants in the school's bread shop?

:what:
The japanese sure aren't fooling around when it's said their educational system is really stressful (especially in this game).

stabby

Learned
Interesting. I'd been wondering how big one could enlarge screenshots while keeping them somewhat clear. I am most pleasantly surprised. Though I must ask, are you using a screenshot plugin or Remote Joy Lite?

I am using Jpcsp, which has a native 2x option, and Greenshot for the screenshots. The game works well outside of some small graphical glitches and the ocassional drop in framerate.

The first couple of updates are going to have the most glitches because I'm still trying to remember how it was I had to configure everything.

Ahh. Well silly me and my ignorance of the current state of emulation, since I thought you doing this with a psp. Looking at the screenies again (with slightly less sleep deprived eyes this time) I do see the slight glitching here and there, but I'll hide behind the excuse of blind glee for a P3P LP. Yes, that excuse will do nicely.

That said, good show so far, keep it up as long as you find it fun, and I'll go back to the corner and be quiet.

Sukeban Cho

Erudite
VOTE FOR THE DOG!

He, a masterless samurai looking for revenge!

"Arf!"

She, a demon summoning princess with more personalities than you can shake a Naginata at!

"Persona!"

For one another, they will defy everything proper society held sacred!

koromaruxmc.jpg

Coming this summer... The beautiful story of a wandering ronin, the master who adopted him, and the classical love tale their encounter spawned!

"Just keep away from my shoes!"

The Koromaru story YOU wanted to be told.

In all theaters worth mentioning.

Barring that, go have a hot lesbian thing with Mitsuru(?), she looks smoking hot.

Mitsuru x MC wouldn't really work from a yuri romance standpoint.

Yukari x MC and Saori x MC are much better yuri pairings. And both those are such an obvious fit their actual absences come out as really jarring.

The LP, or the game on Maniac?

The game in Maniac.

Last time I tried to do so I was on a notebook and got fed up with the game because of how slow it ran on exploration mode.

It seems to be running fine on this desktop, though. No slowdowns worth mentioning so far.

About finishing the LP, no comments. As I said on the Let's Opera thread if I as much as suggest I will finish a LP it is pretty much doomed to extreme delays, if not an eternity in limbo.

The game is huge, though, so I will probably need to take a vacation every now and then. Maybe I'll use those to finish some of the unfinished ones I have lying around.

Tentatively following this silently. I can barely get through updates without copiuos amounts of alcohol through no fault of yours. It's just... jrpgs. Nnnnrgh.

The start of the game is pretty heavy, but once we get obtain access to Tartarus (i.e: the huge dungeon we crawl when not dating hot guys, befriending pretty girls, or singing karaoke) and the Life Sim elements it is much less talkie and time passes a lot faster.

Many :BROPAW: to Black Cat. She suffers through the writing so I can skim it when the overabundance of ellepsis makes me rage.

That makes me rage too. I understand the japanese write like that, but the guys and gals doing the localization should adapt it to what is normal for us to see. Even for me, I can see all those dots and wavy lines and shit in Japanese and not even notice, but I do in western characters and it is, like, fuck this shit, the punctuation forms accepted both popularily and formally are also part of a language.

I try to fix some of it when I remember, but much of it still gets through. :(

The japanese sure aren't fooling around when it's said their educational system is really stressful (especially in this game).

Even worse, doing bad in exams really gimps your character growth as the reward for doing well are rare Spell Cards that you wouldn't normally get until much later.

Vanessa is not happy.

Grrreat update.

:love: Thank you very much. I am very glad you did enjoy it.

DO EET!
Er.. you know, for mood and atmosphere...

Now it is too late to go back on that!

Fufufufufu.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
Black Cat? For shame, I though you weren't around any more. Still witching around and trying to find ways to make your hair go white?

And this game's writing goes beyond the realms of mere "japanese writing" and straight into something that can't be described in any way other than "Anime Writing." I.E: Super popular high school students with superpowers defend the world from supernatural evil while hitting tropes left and right, going through emotionally engaging slice-of-life sequences, discovering what it means to love and live, and making even most adults envy and admire them.

Nips. Nips never change.

Sukeban Cho

Erudite
Chapter the third:
Full moon wizard.

P3P%20002015.jpg

P3P%20002017.jpg

Gossiping Student: Did you hear the rumor...?

Loud Student: Oh, um... something about... a bathroom?

Gossiping Student: N-No! Not that one! I mean the story about the first-year student! Not only did she stop coming to school, she does nothing but sit and stare at the walls all day. If her mother tries to talk to her, she only mutters to herself, "It's coming... It's coming...!"

vanessa.jpg
Those are not the kind of delusions one should share with her mother.

Our heroine ignores the rest of the conversation and enters the school just as the first bell tolls.

P3P%20002047.jpg

P3P%20002049.jpg

toriumi_normal.jpg
Ugh... why him? I'd rather teach Utsubo Kubota. He became famous as a singer, but he's also produced fine literature. I wonder why it's not in the textbook. Well, I'll just bring Kubota's book next time.

toriumi_angry.jpg
... Hey, Junpei! Were you listening? Who did I say was my favorite author?

junpei_O.O.jpg
H-Huh? U-Ummm... Psst! Who does she like?

For a single instant our heroine's eyes gleam, her lips twist into a small grin, a soft "fufufu" filters through the crack between her lips, her excited fingers play with one another.

governess-sama.jpg
*ahem*

vanessa.jpg
It is Utsubo Kubota, Iori-San.

Junpei gives the answer our heroine gave him.

toriumi_normal.jpg
That's right! So you were listening to me after all!

junpei_smile.jpg
Eheheh... Well, you know how I like to pay attention! Man, you saved my bacon, Vanessa!

vanessa.jpg
Please, do not mention it. Anyone would have done the same.

providence.jpg
You hear your classmates whispering...

Classmate: Vanessa gave him the answer... She must pay attention in class!

providence.jpg
You became slightly more popular.

vanessa.jpg
Tch. I am well beyond the reach of your feeble attempts at indoctrination, O Lord.

providence.jpg
Your Charm has increased.

vanessa.jpg
Lalala. I can't hear you.

P3P%20002105.jpg

Next time we meet our heroine she is clutching her head in despair, arguing with someone no one else seems to notice. Which is kind of easy to understand: If they were able to see a little girl fluttering to and fro by flapping her pigtails while singing catchy korean songs with the obliviousness of a charming loli hypnotized by chain store commercials something would be very, very, very wrong indeed with the way reality works.

flying_nanako_chan.jpg
T.R.Y. Do it now! Can you follow me? Yes!! Uh-ha!! (DO EET!)

vanessa.jpg
I must... Resist...

flying_nanako_chan.jpg
T.R.Y. Pick it up! You'll never catch me!! Oh no!! (DO EET NAO!)

vanessa.jpg
No, I must not!

flying_nanako_chan.jpg
The fluttering temperature is raising up! Oh! Oh! Oh! (NAO!)

vanessa.jpg
Akuryou taisan! Akuryou taisan!

The terrible beast dissipates for the time being. A quick glance around reveals our heroine she's almost completely alone in an empty classroom, and thus she leaves the school without further delay.

P3P%20002113.jpg

P3P%20002114.jpg

providence.jpg
Yukari is already here, talking with an unfamiliar man...

yukari_normal.jpg
Oh, she's back.

ikutsuki_normal.jpg
So, this is our new guest...

P3P%20002129.jpg

vanessa.jpg
To you as well, sir.

ikutsuki_smile.jpg
My name is Shuji Ikutsuki. I'm the Chairman of the Board for your school.

vanessa.jpg
I am pleased to meet you.

ikutsuki_normal.jpg
"Ikutsuki"... Hard to say, isn't it? That's why I don't like introducing myself. Even I get tongue-tied sometimes...

vanessa.jpg
... there is no way this was the original dialogue ...

ikutsuki_normal.jpg
I apologize about the confusion regarding your accommodations. However, it may take a while longer before you receive the proper room assignment. Is there anything you'd like to ask?

vanessa.jpg
There is. Something strange happened to me back when I first arrived here...

ikutsuki_smile.jpg
You saw something strange? ... Like what?

vanessa.jpg
As I made my way from the station all of the city lights went out. The streets were lined with coffins, and the moon shone bright and huge. Upon arrival I was received by a young boy who told me I was expected to sign a strange little contract before advancing any further, and once I did so he disappeared as if he had melt with the darkness all around.

yukari_normal.jpg

ikutsuki_normal.jpg
You were probably just tired. I wouldn't worry about it.

vanessa.jpg
...nigga please...

ikutsuki_normal.jpg
It's bad for your complexion, you know.

providence.jpg
Something doesn't seem right...

vanessa.jpg
...my mind is blown by the revelation...

ikutsuki_normal.jpg
Do you have another question?

vanessa.jpg
I do have one more question, yes. Do students other than Kirijo-San, Takeba-San, and myself live in this dormitory?

ikutsuki_normal.jpg
There are only four students in this dorm: You, Yukari here, Mitsuru, and a senior named Akihiko Sanada. I hope you all get along.

There's a third question our heroine can ask, "Why did you come here?", but that's about as rude as casual questions can go. Instead,

vanessa.jpg
I am grateful for your patience. I have no more questions.

ikutsuki_smile.jpg
Then, I hope you have a successful school year. Now, if you'll excuse me...

ikutsuki_normal.jpg
You must be tired from all the excitement. You should go to bed early.

vanessa.jpg
Thank you for your concern. I will do as you say.

ikutsuki_normal.jpg
As they say, "The early bird catches the bookworm"!

ikutsuki_smile.jpg
... Please forgive the bad pun. *chuckle*

P3P%20002201.jpg

yukari_doubtful.jpg
You'll get used to his lame jokes.

providence.jpg
... You should rest for today. You decided to return to your room and sleep.

vanessa.jpg
And of my own free will to boot.

P3P%20002213.jpg

P3P%20002216.jpg

P3P%20002218.jpg

ikutsuki_normal_CRN.jpg
So, how's she doing?

mitsuru_normal_CRN.jpg
She went to bed a little while ago. She's asleep now. Mr. Chairman, do you think she's...?

ikutsuki_normal_CRN.jpg
Well, let's wait and see for now... The Dark Hour is approaching.

P3P%20002236.jpg

P3P%20002241.jpg

providence.jpg
Upbeat music is playing from the radio that the man threw away...

Radio DJ: KJ Radio presents, The Bay Tuners. Tune in again next week for more of the hits!

Radio Announcer: This program is brought to you by Kirijo Electronics. Kirijo Electronics: Always there when you need them. The time is now midnight.

P3P%20002254.jpg

P3P%20002257.jpg

P3P%20002258.jpg

P3P%20002263.jpg

P3P%20002267.jpg

providence.jpg
Back at a certain room in the dormitory...

P3P%20002274.jpg

ikutsuki_normal_CRG.jpg
The Dark Hour occurs every day at 12 midnight; you could say it's the "hidden" hour. During this time, an ordinary person transmogrifies into a coffin, and is oblivious to all that occurs.

yukari_normal_CRG.jpg
Then, she must be...

ikutsuki_normal_CRG.jpg
As you can see, she's retained her human form. She's asleep, but she's definitely experiencing the Dark Hour. The only question that remains is whether or not she has the potential. Although, she must... If she didn't, they would've preyed on her by now.

yukari_doubtful_CRG.jpg
Scary...

ikutsuki_normal_CRG.jpg
In any case, we should continue to monitor her for a few more days.

mitsuru_normal_CRG.jpg
Yes, Sir.

yukari_normal_CRG.jpg
I feel kinda bad, though, spying on her like this...

P3P%20002305.jpg

Unknown voice: ...Master... Master Vanessa Nyah...

P3P%20002311.jpg

P3P%20002312.jpg

P3P%20002313.jpg

P3P%20002314.jpg

P3P%20002315.jpg

P3P%20002317.jpg

vanessa.jpg
I can see already where this dream's going. *breaths deeply* Alright. Let's get this over with.

igor.jpg
My name is Igor. I am delighted to make your acquaintance.

vanessa.jpg
The feeling is mutual, sir.

igor.jpg
This place exists between dream and reality, mind and matter... Only those who have signed the contract can enter this place.

providence.jpg
The paper you signed at the dorm is lying before Igor...

igor.jpg
Henceforth, you shall be welcome here in the Velvet Room. You are destined to hone your unique ability, and you will require my help to do so.

In an instant all her misgivings about the current situation, the suspicion about the kind of dream she is in, and the feeling of revulsion towards the grotesque individual in front of her disappeared with no ceremony nor pomp, leaving behind nothing but "I am unique" and "Only a few special individuals can visit this place" fluttering inside her mind. If Igor had not become involved with this Velvet Room business I am sure he would have made a killing in the korean entertainment industry.

igor.jpg
I only ask one thing in return...

vanessa.jpg
*sigh* I am well aware of how this business works.

igor.jpg
... that you abide by the contract, and assume responsibility for the choices you make.

vanessa.jpg
Oh, that! I mean... You mean... I... I understand, yes. Worry not about it, sir. It's perfectly clear.

igor.jpg
Hold on to this...

Igor gives our heroine the Velvet Key.

igor.jpg
There is still one more resident of this room, who unfortunately could not be present for your arrival. But I'll make sure you two are properly introduced. Another time, perhaps. 'Til we meet again...

P3P%20002366.jpg

Our heroine awakes remembering little of the strange dream she had, and before she can try to put her thoughts in order The Lord reminds her it is time to go to school and takes control of her body. Before she even knows what's happening she is already in front on the school. To make things worse...

P3P%20002371.jpg

junpei_smile03.jpg
In times like these, it's best to sleep during class! You ever notice how sometimes taking a nap in class makes you feel more refreshed than sleeping at home?

vanessa.jpg
I would not recommend to sleep in class.

junpei_0.03.jpg
Whaaat?

vanessa.jpg
Imagine you were to babble something improper in dreams, or to snore, or to spill saliva all over your desk, or to make ridiculous faces, or to be the target of malicious jokes. What would you do, then? Your popularity would plummet, your public image would be in ruins, and that single slip would follow you everywhere and turn your school life into a buddhist hell no sutra can free you from. The best case scenario is the one in which you become a non-entity, just like that.

junpei_0.03.jpg
Why do you have to be all serious?

vanessa.jpg
The image you project is no joking matter, Iori-San.

junpei_0.03.jpg
That feeling of being completely recharged is awesome... But I'm screwed later since I didn't hear the lecture! Oh, but we have classic literature today... That means we're stuck with Mr.Nasty ol' Ekoda...

P3P%20002399.jpg

P3P%20002401.jpg

ekoda.jpg
I'll be teaching you about good old Japan all year. Some people say Classic Lit isn't relevant to everyday life, but oh, how they're wrong! The students, the other teachers... Wrong, wrong, wrong! Nobody really understands Classic Lit...

providence.jpg
You feel tired... Close your eyes for a few minutes?

vanessa.jpg
I am an image conscious girl, O Lord.

ekoda.jpg
Hey... Are you all listening to me? Wake up, children! Now open your textbooks. First on our syllabus is "Ise Monogatari," the origin of Japanese literature. It's a very interesting story. You youngsters might call it, "da bomb."

vanessa.jpg
...This is shameful...

ekoda.jpg
*sigh* I can tell you people are "zoning out"...

providence.jpg
You stayed up and listened to the lecture... Your Academics has increased.

P3P%20002439.jpg

flying_nanako_chan.jpg
Like this together, Ah!, you and I together, Ah! (DO EET!)

vanessa.jpg
Not that one... Please... Too catchy...

flying_nanako_chan.jpg
Wherever we want, Ah!, to share our sweet stories! (DO EET! NAO!)

vanessa.jpg
Be silent, creature!

flying_nanako_chan.jpg
Together, together, Ah!, together tonight, Ah! (NAO!)

vanessa.jpg
I shall not heed your venomous words, devil!

Our heroine storms out the classroom just in time to catch Yukari at the shoe boxes. They decide to go back to the dormitory together, visiting one of the local malls on their way back.

P3P%20002445.jpg

P3P%20002449.jpg

vanessa.jpg
This is my first time coming here.

yukari_smile_fountain.jpg
A lot of Gekkoukan students come here after school.

vanessa.jpg
*blank eyes* After... school?

flying_nanako_chan.jpg
Lalala we are rambling girls! (DO EE...)

vanessa.jpg
Fuck off. I don't even like that one.

yukari_smile_fountain.jpg
There's a karaoke box and a CD shop. Oh, and a really great cafe, too! There's also a nightclub, but that's kinda not for us yet.

vanessa.jpg
I am very grateful you brought me here today. I was hoping for a place like this since I first arrived here.

providence.jpg
The Paulownia Mall is crowded with students on their way back from school...

P3P%20002472.jpg

P3P%20002475.jpg

mitsuru_smile.jpg
The moon is beautiful tonight. It might be nice to read a book by moonlight once in a while.

vanessa.jpg
You have refined tastes.

Our heroine then notices in the area behind the counter, the same area in which Mitsuru is now, something that she had not noticed before.

vanessa.jpg
What are... those, if I may ask?

mitsuru_normal02.jpg
These networked computers were installed when the dorm was built. Their main purpose is to send the school reports about daily life here in the dorm.

vanessa.jpg
I understand. Thank you very much.

She leaves Mitsuru to her reading and goes to see what Yukari is doing. They have a little chat.

P3P%20002504.jpg

yukari_normal.jpg
It'd be great to have somebody like that doing stuff for us, don't you think?

vanessa.jpg
You are right, it would be nice.

yukari_normal.jpg
I mean, I'm not a good cook, and Mitsuru-senpai...

vanessa.jpg
...the pain, make it stop...

yukari_normal.jpg
...just doesn't do things like that. You know, if you're handy around the kitchen, I bet you could really do something with this place!

Our heroine checks the TV but there's nothing worth watching on it. She goes to take a look around the dormitory to see if there's any new event waiting for her to stumble upon it, but nothing comes out of it. Even a new visit to Akihiko's door bears no fruit as he doesn't seem to be on his room this time, and in the end our heroine goes back to her room and, noticing everything she tries to do there results in...

providence.jpg
You are tired today. You should go to bed early.

... she does so.

P3P%20002608.jpg

P3P%20002610.jpg

P3P%20002611.jpg

P3P%20002612.jpg

P3P%20002615.jpg

mitsuru_normal_CRG.jpg
... The same as last night.

ikutsuki_normal_CRG.jpg
Hmm... Very interesting. Even those who have the potential tend to be unstable at first... Memory loss, disorientation. But, this subject is rather unique. She hasn't exhibited any of the common symptoms.

yukari_doubtful_CRG.jpg
But... we're treating her like a guinea pig.

ikutsuki_smile_crg.jpg
I understand your concern, but it's imperative that we recruit new members. I hear she's in your class... Wouldn't you be more comfortable working with someone from the same grade?

ikutsuki_normal_CRG.jpg
A female classmate, at that.

yukari_normal_CRG.jpg
Yeah, I guess. But, still...

providence.jpg
An emergency call from outside rang through the room...

mitsuru_normal_CRG.jpg
Command room. Is that you, Akihiko?

Akihiko's Voice: You're not gonna believe this...! This thing is huge! Unfortunately, I don't have time to talk... It's chasing me... I wanted to let you guys know. I'm almost there.

yukari_wtf_crg.jpg
Does that mean... he's bringing that thing here!?

mitsuru_pissed_crg.jpg
Mr. Chairman! Let's suspend our observation for now. We'll prepare for battle!

hivemind-sama.jpg
And not a moment too soon.

ikutsuki_omg_crg.jpg
... R-Right! Be careful!

They move to the entrance.

P3P%20002672.jpg

mitsuru_pissed_crg.jpg
Akihiko!

akihiko_shifty_ldg.jpg
I'm alright.

akihiko_smirk_ldg.jpg
Get ready to be surprised... It'll be here any second.

mitsuru_pissed_crg.jpg
This is no time to joke around!

ikutsuki_omg_crg.jpg
It's one of them, Akihiko?

akihiko_normal_ldg.jpg
Yes, but not an ordinary one--

Something huge crashes against the door.

yukari_wtf_crg.jpg
Ahh!! What the...!? You've gotta be kidding me!

mitsuru_pissed_crg.jpg
Mr. Chairman, please head for the command room! Takeba, go upstairs and wake her up! Then, escape out the back.

yukari_doubtful_crg.jpg
But, what about you two?

mitsuru_normal.jpg
We'll stop it here. You led it to us, Akihiko, so I'm afraid you'll have to fight.

akihiko_pissed_ldg.jpg
Like I had a choice! What are you waiting for, Yukari? Go!

yukari_hmm.jpg
I-I'm going!

P3P%20002703.jpg

providence.jpg
You are awoken by a loud noise... Should you go check outside?

vanessa.jpg
Investigating strange noises and being brutally murdered by the things that lurk in the night are both some of the things boys are meant for, O Lord. It would be tomboyish of me to intrude.

Yukari's Voice: Wake up! Sorry, I'm coming in!

P3P%20002721.jpg

vanessa.jpg
I understand. Please lead the way.

yukari_hmm.jpg
Hurry! Downstairs! We'll leave through the back door!

P3P%20002732.jpg

yukari_normal_CRG.jpg
... Take this, just in case.

providence.jpg
Yukari handed you a long, thin implement. It seems to be a naginata.

vanessa.jpg
A weapon befitting a true lady, this one. I am indebted to you.

yukari_hmm.jpg
Okay, let's go! Follow me!

P3P%20002743.jpg

yukari_normal_CRG.jpg
Alright, we should be safe now--

Mitsuru's Voice: Takeba, do you read me!?

yukari_hmm.jpg
Y-Yes! I hear you!

Mitsuru's Voice: Be careful! There's more than one enemy! The one we're fighting isn't the one Akihiko saw!

yukari_wtf_g.jpg
What!?

Something huge crashes against the back door.

yukari_wtf_g.jpg
*gasp* L-Let's pull back!

P3P%20002759.jpg

The sound of broken glass welcomes us to the second floor, followed by what can only be described as the sound of something that would take a heavy toll on the casual observer's sanity point's pool closing in.

yukari_wtf_g.jpg
What was that!? It's getting closer!

yukari_hmm.jpg
K-Keep moving! Hurry!

P3P%20002767.jpg

Yukari_normal_CRG.jpg
*sigh* The door's locked. I think we are safe for now...

P3P%20002774.jpg

P3P%20002775.jpg

P3P%20002779.jpg

Many more arms appear, some wielding long blades, as the creature raises itself to the rooftop. Many of the monsters and characters in the Persona games are based on the symbology behind tarot cards, and the Full Moon shadows are not different. Given this update is already quite long, though, and that we will come into contact with this particular card quite soon I will leave the occult trivia on it for a later update.

Arcana_Magician_Persona_3.png

P3P%20002780.jpg

P3P%20002783.jpg

P3P%20002786.jpg

P3P%20002788.jpg

mitsuru_normal_CRG.jpg
That gigantic Shadow... Just what is it we're dealing with!?

akihiko_pissed_LDG.jpg
... Let's go, Mitsuru!

ikutsuki_omg_crg.jpg
Wait!

P3P%20002802.jpg

yukari_normal_CRG.jpg
That's the thing that attacked this place... We call them Shadows!

vanessa.jpg
He does not look like the kind of guy who enjoys poking.

yukari_hmm.jpg
O-Oh yeah... I have to fight... I... I can summon mine... No problem...

P3P%20002813.jpg

P3P%20002816.jpg

P3P%20002817.jpg

P3P%20002818.jpg

vanessa.jpg
The sky just... broke. *tilts head*

The broken skyboxes are the only serious graphical glitch I do not know how to fix, so if anyone is willing to share his knowledge about how to fix it I am in turn more than willing to learn. It only happens while in battle, though, and there are just a few cases where it is at all noticeable, and almost no other as glaring as this one.

P3P%20002822.jpg

P3P%20002823.jpg

P3P%20002825.jpg

Anyway, Yukari's attempt to shoot her brains out are fooled by the monster using some kind of fire magic on her. The attack launches her across the rooftop but, more importantly, sends her little pistol sliding to vanessa's feet. She takes the gun, and as soon as she does strange thoughts and sensations overtake her.

P3P%20002829.jpg

P3P%20002831.jpg

P3P%20002836.jpg

Anyway, the evil monster thingie charges against our heroine brandishing his many swords in many arms. However,

P3P%20002839.jpg

P3P%20002841.jpg

P3P%20002842.jpg

vanessa.jpg
Kukukuku.

P3P%20002843.jpg

Nyahahaha.jpg

renegade_vanessa.jpg
On your knees, commoner.

P3P%20002848.jpg

orpheusx2.jpg

P3P%20002851.jpg

orpheus.jpg
Thou art I, and I art thou.

P3P%20002855.jpg

P3P%20002858.jpg

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Oh, my... I should have been more careful with the dieting plan...

P3P%20002859.jpg

P3P%20002862.jpg

P3P%20002867.jpg

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Aaaaaaaaah!

Thanatos.jpg

Our heroine losses control of the summoning and thus Orpheus becomes... something else. Something creepy and angry and badass that enjoys going berserk on defenseless boss monsters. It rushes at the creature while dispensing the traditional ascending diagonal slash from a sheated position, and then it proceeds to pummel and tear the wounded shadow with its bare hands. It's kind of one sided.

P3P%20002869.jpg

P3P%20002871.jpg

P3P%20002874.jpg

P3P%20002875.jpg

P3P%20002876.jpg

P3P%20002877.jpg

P3P%20002881.jpg

P3P%20002884.jpg

P3P%20002887.jpg

P3P%20002892.jpg

P3P%20002895.jpg

renegade_vanessa.jpg
I hope the big twist isn't that you are my late mother.

P3P%20002901.jpg

providence.jpg
Orpheus regained its original form. You have obtained a new persona!

P3P%20002912.jpg

yukari_wtf_g.jpg
......!? It's still moving...!

providence.jpg
A piece of the "Shadow" is heading for Yukari...

yukari_wtf_g.jpg
No... G-Get away from me!

providence.jpg
You have to save her...!

P3P%20002929.jpg

This is the interface we will spend most of our time with, and we will be learning the ropes of it during the next update. There is, however, a meaning trascending gameplay mechanics and battle tactics in this one screenshot, for it is right there that the true Persona 3 Portable experience begins.

Right now our heroine has a single Persona, Orpheus, who knows a single skill, Bash. She has no items, no companions, and this being a plot battle she can't run away. In the end we can do but three things: Go into a defensive stance, use a skill, or hit the enemy with our basic attack. Going into a defensive stance is useless when you have but a single character and the basic attack is useless outside particular situations, so we will hit the bad little guys with Bash until they die. Being really weak that means we will have to hit them once each.

P3P%20002937.jpg

P3P%20002940.jpg

orpheus.jpg
The power of rock compels you!

P3P%20002942.jpg

Orpheus kills one, the other hits Vanessa, and then Orpheus kills that one too. Each use of the skill takes 5HP from us, as it is traditional in Shin Megami Tensei titles that physical and martial techniques consume HP instead of MP. Each attack of the Cowardly Mayas take 10HP from us. In the end we have taken as much damage from using our skills as we took from getting hit once.

P3P%20002954.jpg

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Yay!

We obtained 48XP from this battle, which was enough to raise both Orpheus' level and our own by one. Orpheus thus acquired the AGI skill, which is the basic single target fire spell. Our heroine will be using it a lot from now on, as much of Persona 3's combat system is based around exploiting particular weaknesses to obtain extra turns. However, given Mitsuru will give us a run down of the basics during the next update it is best to leave for then most of the explanation about how everything works.

P3P%20002963.jpg

P3P%20002988.jpg

P3P%20002992.jpg

providence.jpg
It seems Yukari is safe, too...

providence.jpg

providence.jpg
You feel exhausted...

providence.jpg
You are losing consciousness...

providence.jpg

P3P%20003006.jpg

Yukari: Are you okay!?

Yukari: Come on...!

Yukari: Please...! Can you hear me!?

Yukari: Answer me!

Meanwhile, deep within our heroine's delusional realm...

lightbane

Arcane
ITZ starts, the MC's EVA Persona has been awakened. Too bad some of the pics' links are broken (or I can't see them).

P3P%20002129.jpg

No monocle or hat? What a :decline: of a gentleman.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Great way to conjure your "persona", shooting your brains out. :roll:

How many suicides have this game caused? Not that I decry them. People stupid enough to try that trick out deserve a Darwin Award. M:

Sukeban Cho

Erudite
Who's that "flying nanako-chan"? I don't think I get the reference.

That's fanart of Persona 4's Nanako Dojima, whom Hirato has as his avatar. It is just a random coincidence she deserves most of her fame to being extremely cute while singing terribly commercial songs.

All the songs she's singing are actually from a korean pop band by the name of After School. It used to be one of my favorites back in the Ah! and Diva (the original version, not the sucky new one) days, but then they became kind of a mess and progresively went from being five cool, fun loving, sexy girls with a lot of personality and soul to being about a dozen faceless plastic bitches no one in Kpop circles considers relevant anymore other than as free eye candy.

The songs in the update, in order...

ITZ starts, the MC's EVA Persona has been awakened. Too bad some of the pics' links are broken (or I can't see them).

Right click on the thingie that appears where the image should be and pick to either open it on a new window or a new tab. Some images fail to load when the pages have too many and the server is loaded, but they are all there.

And yes, totally: That scene is so bloody Evangelion it's a miracle they didn't got sued. And the original one was even worse with the "inspiration."

No KWAs allowed I guess, I can't troll the euro-soccer thread...now this :cry:

Try those...

Black Cat? For shame, I though you weren't around any more. Still witching around and trying to find ways to make your hair go white?

I am not really back.

But given the tone I guess this is one of those *shrug* situations.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Overall, I enjoy the aesthetics of this Persona over Persona 4, although shooting yourself with a handgun in the temples to summon a spirit is taking it too far. A redundant touch with little justification but shock value. They really needed that press coverage, didn't they?

This update is top-notch, however. I might be tempted to play it next month, when time permits.

Sukeban Cho said:
I will leave the occult trivia on it for a later update.

OMG, OMG, OMG!!! :bounce:

Sukeban Cho

Erudite
Those work, what's with the points-gun-at-head routine?

Those are actually the Evokers that they use to summon their Personas.

The :monocle: explanation would be it is actually symbolic of them killing their surface self, the Ego, so that their true self can surface and take control, and in the lore the gun creates the sensation of death in such a way that the mind believes itself to be dead and thus reaches a state of emptyness were the true self can surface. It kind of makes sense within the weird mixture of Jungian psychology and both Western and Eastern mysticism that make up the games' framework.

... But at the same time we are all pretty sure they did build them as guns just to create controversy, as in all other Persona games the characters use tarot cards to summon their Personas instead. :P

That is made even more obvious when you notice there are characters that don't use Evokers and characters whose Evokers don't look like guns in this very game. :roll:

Thank you very much, I am glad you are enjoying it. :hug:

Overall, I enjoy the aesthetics of this Persona over Persona 4, although shooting yourself with a handgun in the temples to summon a spirit is taking it too far. A redundant touch with little justification but shock value. They really needed that press coverage, didn't they?

I am kind of divided on it myself. I like the symbolism, and it is really well thought of to fit inside the framework the series operates in, yet at the same time it is such an obvious mediatic maneuver it comes as kind of disgusting. :?

OMG, OMG, OMG!!! :bounce:

Hahaha, you people sure know how to motivate little me. :hug:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Who's that "flying nanako-chan"? I don't think I get the reference.

That's fanart of Persona 4's Nanako Dojima, whom Hirato has as his avatar. It is just a random coincidence she deserves most of her fame to being extremely cute while singing terribly commercial songs.

Ah, so it's a P4 reference. I somehow missed it, even though I played the game and followed Hirato's LP.

Sukeban Cho

Erudite
You need to somehow insert PONPONPON in there... somehow!

Don't you worry. Once we start raising Courage at the Karaoke I'm going to insert the fuck out of even the hardest to insert songs in my asian pop collection.

For, uhm, mood, you know? And atmosphere, yes. Just as Hirato said. :oops:

Ah, so it's a P4 reference. I somehow missed it, even though I played the game and followed Hirato's LP.

You forgot about Nanako-chan? :eek:

sadnanakoissad.jpg

Miss Bee is a terrible Onee-Sama!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom