Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Witch's Wake

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
So, Ibbz. Other than the file size, what's it like. You know you want to share, you NWN fanboy, you.

Ibbz

Augur
Heh, I just found this thread :)
Anyhow - the first Witch Wake module is short - 1 to 2 hours worth of gameplay. Its similar to the prelude in the official campaign, but it is MUCH better.
First off the obvious:
You no longer get combat for killing monsters - which is a good thing. Xp is rewarded for "discovering new areas, finding out new information and "roleplaying" your character". Character can now actually roleplay their class - eg Fighters can intimidate, Rogues can persuade and so on. You can avoid just about ALL combat should you choose. It isnt real easy to do, but if your super careful you can pull it off. You can also play off certain monsters against each other - eg. There is a zombie warrior and Kobold War Captain near each other and if you can get the zombie warrior to move close enough to the Captain, so that it can see him - they'll go at it.

Lots and lots of dialogue to read. In fact, it encourages you to read the dialogue - as you get xp for "finding out new information." The story itself, uses the amnesia plot device, but it hasnt been done too badly. Its apparantly very similar to Planescape Torment {I cant say for sure, as i've never played PS:T}. Its really hard to judge how good the story will be, because its only the first module. Rob Bartel actually wrote the Charwood quest {The one in which you had to judge the two mages{?} - with the town that was stuck in time} in the Official campaign, so it definately has alot of potential. You are also given choices, such as - should you choose not to trust the Night hag - in future modules you will gain special quests and so forth that you would otherwise not be able to attain.

Whats more Saint, you'll be happy to know that Paladins can become fallen!
Should they take any items resting in the "holy" cemetary you come across and if they do not give the Axe to its right full owner on the Stygian plane, then they become fallen.

I think that covers most of it. If i've missed anything - just post it :D

huh

Novice
I had to actually dust off my NWN CD to play WW. I could never finish the official sp campaign. I thought it sucked.

The comparison to PS:Torment is quite a good one. WW is pretty much everthing OC was not. I found it very enjoyable (within engine/D&D limitations)

Dalog and RP heavy. Challenging, at least for my sorceror. They are using a modified hard core rule set. Some people find it annoying. but this is the first NWN mod where tactics and leveling mean something to my char. hard core resting rules. summoning costs gold (to simulate the herb/ingredient acquisition)

a lot of neat little add-ons, like the grenade weapons, gambling machine, etc...

Death handling is very interesting... (torment reference again)

NO BARRELS!!! whohooo!!!! the loot placement actually makes sense now.

Actually uses non-combat skills and checks. XP awards via dialog branches feel a bit convoluted, but I don't see how else they could've done it.

Too short.

In conclusion, if people like that (Rob Bartel) are still working for BioWare, I'm hopeful about their future SP projects.

Munky

Novice
could be worth a try, though i dont know how long my NWN cds will hold out, one is cracked in several places right through the hub.

MrBrown

Liturgist
One bad point is, imo, that even though you can avoid most combat, the combat is pointless, and wasn't part of the story in anyway. So, if you want to play a dumb/silent bloodthirsty fighter etc. type, you'll be fighting lots of pointless battles.

Another thing; while the mod is good, it doesn't fit the NWN rules system. Speech skills etc. non-combat skills are not really supported, and for most of WW, it seems that it won't matter what class you take.

NWN is combat oriented (more so than PnP DnD), so I think combat oriented mods fit it better.

I did like it, though.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
MrBrown said:
One bad point is, imo, that even though you can avoid most combat, the combat is pointless, and wasn't part of the story in anyway. So, if you want to play a dumb/silent bloodthirsty fighter etc. type, you'll be fighting lots of pointless battles.

This is one thing that concerned me. The problem is that NWN/3E doesn't seem to do skills for weapons, so there's really not much you can do with fighting once you remove experience for it from the equation. Fighting should be a part of RPGs, it's a valid role. However, while NWN was all about fighting, Witch's Wake is the exact opposite. There should be a happy, middle ground here where fighting isn't the overall focus, but should still offer a tangable reward.

Prelude to Darkness doesn't offer XP for fighting, but fighting skills are raised by fighting, for example. It's not the focus of the game, but it still offers a valid reward to the situation.

Another thing; while the mod is good, it doesn't fit the NWN rules system. Speech skills etc. non-combat skills are not really supported, and for most of WW, it seems that it won't matter what class you take.

The problem with this that I see is some classes get 2+INTMOD skill points each level while others get 4+INTMOD. The 4+INTMOD classes will have a clear advantage.

Spazmo

Erudite
The 4+INTMOD (and even 6+INTMOD for rogues) classes have more class skills that they need to devote points to. If Witch's Wake is designed in such a manner that all of a classe's class skills aren't used, the fault lays with the module.

Jed

Cipher
All I know is that I haven't made it to the Night Hag yet because my thief keeps getting nipped to death by packs of fucking Kobolds...

Where's my roleplaying?!?!?!
J

MrBrown

Liturgist
XJEDX said:
All I know is that I haven't made it to the Night Hag yet because my thief keeps getting nipped to death by packs of fucking Kobolds...

Where's my roleplaying?!?!?!
J

You can always sneak past them.

And you can avoid them alltogether too, there's a different way out from area 2.

Jed

Cipher
I actually just finished the first installment, and I have to admit--pointless and tedious combat with rats and kobolds aside--I really enjoyed it, once I got into it. It definitely has a sort of "Torment" kinda thing going, though I withold any final judgement until I've finished the series.

A good start, and at the very least, the first chapter of this campaign is already ten times more engaging than the entire OC.

J

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are there any NWN modules with similar mechanics like Witch's Wake? Also, how are premium modules in the EE? Would you rather recommend replaying them in Diamond Edition or should i buy them for Enhanced one?

The Jester

Cipher
Witch's Wake II : The Witch Hunters when?:)

NEVER
:negative:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom